Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Almond Sunset Tea, takes me right back to youth!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Almond Sunset Tea, takes me right back to youth! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  6:41:31 PM  Show Profile
I found it! They (Celestial Seasonings) didn't stop making Almond Sunset Tea--it's just that people in my region are idiots and they don't know what they're missing, so the stores stopped carrying it!

Except for the health food store up the road with REALLY weird hours...I found it there this evening, and my goodness, a cup of this tea has taken me right back to age 13-15, when I was dancing at the small private studio of my mentor, Mona. There was an older gentleman who simply loved classical ballet and everything about it (he was a balletomane, listed as a large donor for the Cincinnati Ballet), and he talked Mona into letting him take class...and every class he brought a giant orange "work crew" thermos full of iced Celestial Seasonings tea...each night it was a different flavor, and my favorite by far was the Almond Sunset. I'll never forget flying through the air and rushing over to get a quick small drink of that lovely stuff!

So, I'm sitting here tonight, thankful for the little healthfood store with weird hours, and my old friend, Alan, who introduced me to this absolutely wonderful tea and fond remembrances of my childhood. Here's to you, Alan!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  6:54:43 PM  Show Profile
Don't you just love that kind of thing? My "tea" memory is Bigelow's Lemon Lift. That one takes me back to college and the cafeteria at our local community college (where I took a couple classes). I would get there early for my class and get Lemon Lift and a big slice of homemade (yes homemade) banana nut bread w/cream cheese. Yum!

My other is Celestial Seasoning's Sleepybear... I was a camp counselor when I was about 19 at a GS camp. I was the Asst. Arts/Crafts director. I would go to our art shack which was in the basement of a big log building overlooking the lake. The Art Director and I would have Sleepbear tea every morning to chase away the chill while we got ready for the kids to come after breakfast. My oldest likes Sleepybear when he's not feeling so hot...

Isn't it amazing what smells can do and where they can take you?
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  6:57:45 PM  Show Profile
I love taste memories - what a cool story Jonni!!
I'm glad you found the tea again
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  7:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Wow! That's like "Fruit and Almond" tea by Bigelow for me. It takes me back to age 15 with my friend, and the good times we had.. as well as the celtic music I listened to (and still do) and the pre-raphaelite paintings and horses and books and poetry and such ... it will take me right back there.. Now I can barely find it and have to get it online or somewhere special..... If you ever see a box of it, try it, and give the rest to me and I'll pay for it! lol.

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/hh_reiki
http://www.myspace.com/brookealyson
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  7:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Brooke- I hate to break it to you, but Bigelow has discontinued Fruit and Almond!! You can still buy it from Bigelow.com, but it is pricey!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  7:46:13 PM  Show Profile
My mother-in-law was from Wales. She absolutely didn't like the teabags we had over here. She would take the bag and remove the tea and put it in a strainer. I believe her favorite was "those tiny little tealeaves" from Tetley. My fav iced tea has to be Red Rose. Occasionally I buy Celestial seasonings and will have to take a lookout for the Almond Sunset. It sounds divine.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  7:51:18 PM  Show Profile
OK Jonni, I have been trying to acquire a taste for tea, but just can't seem to do it. What does Almond Sunset taste like?? I know tea is good for you, but I have always been a coffee chick, & even don't drink much of that anymore as I can no longer handle much caffeine.. SOOO..looking for a great alternative...Plus I love the story that you had it after class.. What a reward!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  8:54:09 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you girls have "sensory" memories that involve tea, too :) I love all your stories--and it's so neat that something so simple can take you right back to that time. I highly recommend the Almond Sunset, and am so glad that they still make it. I looked for it EVERY time I go to the grocery to no avail, and just assumed that they discontinued it, like the Bigelow Fruit and Almond. I found their website, and now they refer to it as a dessert tea, but I really could care less--it isn't sweet, so I'm not sure why the classification, but it doesn't matter because I have it in my hot little hands!!!

Lisa, believe it or not, I'm not a fan of "amaretto" per se, and this doesn't have that "sweet" flavor that amaretto's often do--in fact, it's a stronger flavor, and a great alternative to coffee, though caffeine free. The box describes it thus: fine roasts of carob, chicory, barley...embraced with sweet cinnamon, orange peel and natural almond flavor.

Thanks for sharing your memories with me, too, gals! Enjoy!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  9:01:01 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, Starmeadow...now I want Banana bread (with cream cheese!)...no bananas in the house and it's 12:00 am. I guess I'll make do until the weekend!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  9:22:54 PM  Show Profile
I love the teas at www.teanoir.etsy.com ... Her carmel apple rooibos is my favorite...nice herbal and other artisan teas too...I LOVE herbal iced teas this time of year and hot rooibos tea with honey and fresh cream in the winter

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  01:29:02 AM  Show Profile
OK...because it's 4am and I can't sleep, here I am drinking Stash decaf green.... I could have sworn I had a box of the fruit and nut in my cupboard but it's a box of vanilla hazelnut!

I like Stash teas too. Their website is fun. http://www.stashtea.com/ I love looking at all their teapots. I like their chai. It's funny, after drinking chai tea at home, I don't like it the way it's served at a coffee house...too sweet!

One of my new favs is Republic of Tea. http://www.republicoftea.com I like their apple cider tea. It tastes just like hot apple cider! I'm supposed to be watching how much sugar I ingest these days, so it's nice to have a replacement. Their tea is pretty expensive though. It's a treat to get a canister. My girlfriend says the pink grapefruit is yummy! Sometimes they put out small "sample" canisters and it's a good way to try something new w/out such a huge investment.

Don't get me wrong...I still LOVE my coffee! In the summer I love it brewed strong over ice! But sometimes, tea just fits.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  04:43:41 AM  Show Profile
That sounds really delicous Jonni ! I have never heard of that kind of tea.I will have to go online and see if I can order that one.
I usually drink iced green tea with a little orange,jasmine green tea mixed in the summer. But once it cools down I love to drink hot tea. I came across the brand Stash tea a few years back. I usually mail order it because the stores hardly carry any of their teas except Kroger in Mt Orab. Hey lisa you should stop in at Kroger and check out the desert teas. I even bought a cute little teapot with a cardinal on it from the Stash tea co.to steep the tea in. Its really super cute. I was amazed last fall how many teas the kroger store in Mt. Orab had. I think I bought about 4 of the vanilla chi and 5 of the chocolate hazelnut. I felt like a kid in a candy shop. I will have to see if they carry the Sunset tea. They just might.

But they have lots of great desert teas. My favorites are Vanilla Chi,chocolate hazelnut{ OMG this one is yummy}pumkin spice, carmel creme and many more. They all come decafinated. They also have some called Christmas morning. They have a really cool catalog and they are also online. They carry beatiful teapots. They have one with dragonflies and the more mysterious oriental ones. I can spend forever looking at their catalog.

Well gotta go milk and get chores done.take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  06:38:07 AM  Show Profile
I get Red Rose tea for my iced tea because my grandma always had it. I even have a small shelf with the little porcelain figures on it. I love to try teas and was out of the habit for a bit but now am back in. I will look for almond sunset too. I love sleepy time and Blueberry too.
morgen

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder

www.laubers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  07:23:34 AM  Show Profile
We had the most delightful tea bag swap a while back on the Farmgirl Connection. I was introduced to some wonderful teas. Many of which have become new favorites. One in particular is now top of my list. It's Sweet and Spicy. Good Earth. I don't remember who sent that one to me, but I've had it every day since. Yes, let me go put the kettle on.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  08:16:35 AM  Show Profile
Same here, Country Lawyer! I got totally hooked on the Tazo Organic Black Chai Tea that I think it was Beemoosie that sent it to me. I have been ordering it on line until just recently when I found it at Walmart. Just gotta have it now!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  12:51:44 AM  Show Profile
Contry Lawyer, isn't Good earth yummmy, Constant Comment is like that and good too.

Jonni your sharing has brought back great memories as well.

The tea I got hooked on right after high school was Licorice Spice by Stash tea. It was in a little restuarant in Seattle on my way with friends to a Dan Fogleby concert. It was awesome tea and an awesome concert.

Sitting drinking tea with my grandma and my mom, talking about everyday life, wonderful wonderful memories.

Thanks Jonni!!!!

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Almond Sunset Tea, takes me right back to youth! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page