Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Ok...I am a little confused...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Ok...I am a little confused... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  5:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ok...I know celebrities do good things just like us normal folk but what really irks me is that people, here in America, are suffering, yet they take their money to foreign countries 99% of the time. I really am not an uncaring person, but my gosh, if you want to help someone immediately, go to Louisiana, go to Greensburg, go to the wildfires...

I really get irked that they spend all this money and GAS to FLY FIRST CLASS to a country 1000's of miles away when they could look to their own backyard.

We are a nation that is hurting right now, we need help. Why can't we get it through our heads to help our own right now? They could still give 10% of what they make to other countries but help a neighbor first.

I just get frustrated when I see another celebrity taking a photo op in another country when I see people starving and homeless everyday while the price of everything rises here.

If I could save the world, I would but charity starts in your own back yard.

Thank you...

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  7:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Yes, and how about adopting some American children too!!!

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/hh_reiki
http://www.myspace.com/brookealyson
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  7:20:16 PM  Show Profile
I wish Brangelina would adopt me and my family!!! :-)

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
http://modernmanna.org
The best Christian health and nutrition site on the internet. Keep checking because we are updating the site over the next couple of months.. Major changes will be happening.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  8:27:49 PM  Show Profile
Heather:
What a post!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I so agree!!!!!!!!! I could not have said it better. Your words were well put together. You know Heather, after 9/11 (Trade Center bombings), the "celebrity thing" ended for me. No more was I going to buy the crap they sell, listen to how the are in a treatment center, and much less feel sorry for them. No. Not me. No more looking up to those people. They are not, NOT, hero's to me. The hero's to me are the policemen and policewomen, firemen and firewomen, the people who do unselfish things to help others, or the people working with the Red Cross. When Louisiana was hit by Hurricane Rita. I mention that hurricane because it directly affected me and my husband. The people sent by the Red Cross to our area were so kind, so helpful. From September 2005 umtil February of 2006, the Red Cross cooked hot meals for the people in our area. They gave us mops, brooms, toilet tissue, paper napkins, comet, etc... to help us. We rolled up our selves and did what we had to do. My hero's are never going to be celebrities. Thanks for posting that topic Heather. It surely touched my heart to hear someone else put it in words. Have a great evening, you sure made mine great.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  9:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I don't think it necessarily takes celebrities..and I am just odd enough to still believe in the power of "me". If you havent read the book tipping point" it is a must read.I believe we all have purpose and often times it is out of the own hurt and "neg" experiences in our lives that great things can happen. I was watching Greenburg~ on the Green channel about a town that hit by Katrina~ and instead of waiting for the goverment to do or not to do something for them, they are going out and finding the $$$$ to rebuild a "green" community.. No celebs just local heros~ you just gotta love that!

I agree we have so many people here that need help~ I also think that the human condition is the great "equalizer" and that pain in a childs eyes is as heartbreaking whether on our soil or on foreign soil.. and I am thankful every time someone does something to be a hero in ANYONE's life..

I am adopted! I know what heros look like :)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  9:50:13 PM  Show Profile
Your post was very good to Marley, and Rene Looks like we have just adopted each other,

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  9:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Miss Wilma,
I accept! Couldnt ask for more!

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  9:57:06 PM  Show Profile
Me to sweetie its an honor to adopt you,

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  07:11:42 AM  Show Profile
I'm trying to remember who said this. I think it was Oprah. It was something like - it's my money, I'll do with it whatever I want. Yes, it was Oprah now that I think of it. It was when she was critcized for building a school somewhere other than the U.S.
Do you think there is any merit in that position?
(For me, I'm glad we each have our own individual passions for particular causes. Lots of good gets spread around that way.)
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  07:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I COMPLETELY understand that it is their money. What is irking me is that we have SOOOOO Many needy people right here....Katrina was 3 years ago and people are STILL Not taken care of. I have worked overseas in volunteering and yes, those people were very grateful. I just think charity starts at home. That's all. : )

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  07:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I agree, but at the same time, I don't. I group celebrities by the tabloids. Those that have the need to be constantly in the spot light get on my nerves. However, there are some celebrities who do charity for our Home. Like when Billy Crystal, Whoopi and Robin did Comic Relief for Katrina victims...or Tony Stewart and half the NASCAR drivers; they do a ton of charity for children when it comes to both poverty and Autism...the good guys list could go on and on. It's the Brangelinas of the celebrity world that give the other Stars a bad name. And that is a shame too. I believe it's commendable that they can adopt children, build schools, and save convents--but, make sure that you spread it around, not just concentrating it in one area.

Sorry for rambling!!!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  08:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I really really love this post and here is why. I love people with passion and Heather I So get it, I love that you are so effected by the pain and suffering of others.. GOOD FOR YOU!.............personally I am just so grateful when someone does something to make the lives easier for anyone.. Life is hard and we need to be there for one another, whether it is financially or in kindness. I think we also get into those ruts where we think "others should" bail us out.. when really we are more powerful in our own lives then even we imagine. IN the last couple years I have been training myself to focas on what other are doing and not on what I think they arent~ and it has allowed me to see things that I was somehow missing before~

So Heather~ in the immortal words of "Maranda Lambert" (LOL) "everyone dies fameous in a small town"~ that makes us celebreties in our own lives.. right~ what as "farmgirls" can we do? let's put something positive in motion.......maybe start a thread highlighting the needs~ all in one place, or donate quilt pieces to one of quilting gals to put together to auction off and donate the $$$ to a playground in need....

Or maybe we could like Miss Wilma said adopt a family that lost everything~ send them some of home made~things to make thier house a home again............... This could be fun! right?

If there is power in one ( and I believe there is) can you imagine the power that would fuel a "farmgirl posse".... lord have mercy!

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  08:31:41 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Amen Renee!!! I know that the foundation of the United States was found and is still being built on the backs of the everyday average Joe and Jill. I too believe someone can have a change of heart, celebrity or not. What I don't appreciate is the jumping on the bandwagon when the camera in on. There are plenty of celebrities who has always been out there, Martin Sheen, Audrey Hepburn, Mia Farrow, etc...passion in their life since they were young and still continue today. Yes, someone can jump in at anytime and lend a hand, but don't make it a photo op in your $5000 shoes and clothing then turn and ask me to donate and think of someone else for a change. Sorry...I find that to be a slap in the face. The one particular celebrity that sent me off said "we, the people of the U.S. have it so good and we need to give more to others and start thinking outside of the box.." Yes, we do but I happen to know a lot of need PEOPLE OF THE US who could use the help. That is all...

Yes...let's start a thread on how we are helping. That would be very uplifting...great idea!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  09:00:08 AM  Show Profile
The so-called celebrities where everywhere for Hurricane Katrina. The cameras were there. It was a bigger hurricane. However, for hurricane Rita, there were no celebrities. We had national coverage for a couple of days. What did that do to us? We rolled up our sleeves and did what we had to do. Personally speaking, my husband and I didn't wait for any celebrity to come over help us gut a 4900 Sq. ft. house. We did it with the help of one carpenter. I didn't see the storm as negative. There were blessings everywhere. I was thankingful that my furry children (cats and dog) were with us far away, at least the shell of the house was stable, that my 22 year-old deaf cat was put down a week before the storm hit (she wouldn't have made it). Almost three years later, my house is 98% finished. My hero is my 70 year young husband. We did not see the Red Cross as a hand out. The people here had no kitchens to cook in. When we are 100% finished with our home, I will sign up with the Red Cross and go to the next disaster to help out.
Again, when 9-11 happened, I saw the REAL hero's. When the hurricanes hit, I saw the REAL hero's.
Heather, this Cajun farmgirl gives you a big, great thanks for bringing this topic to light. I didn't think many people saw "celebrities" as I did. So, to you I say, "Yee-Haw"!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  09:24:42 AM  Show Profile
The truest charity to me is when someone gives with no expectation of return.... be that a photo op or anything. Its my belief when someone looks for and gets their "reward" here on earth---(accolades, picture ops, etc.) that IS their reward. I don't think those acts of charity are counted in Heaven.

Because I am trying to build up as many points as I can to make up for all the stupid things I do.... I would much rather serve in my hometown and on the down-low! =) Giving to other nations is great. But I totally agree that working in your own area is really the best service we can give.

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  09:27:01 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yee Haw Marly!!! : )

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  1:15:56 PM  Show Profile
I agree with this talk of celebrities giving their money and help to charity. My only thought is if these celebrities are actively helping and other teenage girls, who are celebrity worshipers, saw them actively helping and not just giving money, these kids will want to help too.

I often think of Fmr President Jimmy Carter and actually helping build houses with Habitat for Humanity. He's there with his hammer and toolbelt. Hayden Pantierre is a teenage girl out protesting to help dolphins and she was arrested doing it. My stepdaughter took notice then.

I want to be a Brangelina child too!

Blessings!
~Farrah
www.homesteadblogger.com/keeperofthehome/

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  2:27:36 PM  Show Profile
I'll you what really gets to me. not so much what the celebrities do with there money. That is their money and what they do with it is their choice. But, our own government who will give away so much money and manpower to foreign countries who have an earthquake or flood or whatever and never bat an eye. While the people here in the US are hurting so much. Our ecomony is not in good shape at all and there are so many people who have lost their jobs it is unreal.Medical insurance is non existant for so many.Schools need help. Not even to mention the natural disasters that have been hitting out beloved country one right after another. To me the situation with the Katrina storm victims is shameful. Help our own first and if we have money left to spend on others then wonderful I am so happy to help.But, it is our tax money that is paying for all this, where does any funding come from for anything, it is our hard earned money. I think the general public should have much more say in the dispersement of the help. Someone else said it and I fully agree, charity starts at home. You cannot change the world , but you can start with your own little corner of the world and it will make a difference. I am sorry if I was on a soap box here. But, this has always affeceted me so much.

Blessings to all,
Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  2:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Mary Jane---you can get up here with me anyday! HA!! Anyone can...that is what I LOVE about these forums... : )

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

iloveprims
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

TRACY
Phillipsburg NJ
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  4:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Send iloveprims a Yahoo! Message
I love this post! I think that anyone with money before thinking to help those OUT of this country shouldn't.... I mean the USA is in dire need of help as well, your home comes first, then the other countries. JMHO but I would do all I can to help my own country first but who am I to say what celebrities or rich people should do with their money. Seems most of us agree that helping begins at home and I am in 100% agreement.

~Tracy~
Primitive Lover & Farmgirl Wanna be!

http://wantingtobeme.blogspot.com
http://www.handmadeswap.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  8:37:16 PM  Show Profile
I am glad that American citizens help other countries. Even in my tiny town of 2,500, there is a food bank, a welfare office, and programs that help pay for electricity and other utilities. One of the reasons that celebrities and others donate to third world countries is that the US dollar makes a bigger impact. The first thing that came to my mind is the relativity of poverty. Are the poor of the US the same as the poor of Haiti, Bangladesh, or Kenya?
The world is my backyard.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  9:54:31 PM  Show Profile
This is an interesting topic and I agree with many of the comments. There is one point that has not been brought up, however, the media focuses on the few who give a lot of money and those who are doing something at the local level seldom make it on the national news. There is only so much we can do, but I know that here in SW Idaho there are many volunteers who do what they can to help those around them. There is a group that goes around and does yard work for the many Seniors who cannot get out and trim their bushes and clean up the leaves in the fall. There is another group that goes around and will paint the entire outside of the home. One group helped my folks paint over grafitti on their fence. All my folks had to do was furnish the paint. The many groups at the various colleges promote volunteerism and community service as a part of their focus.

I would like to see more of my taxes staying in this country to help our own. It would also be nice to see some of the other countries step up and show that they are trying to help their own as well and not just depend on our handouts and stuff their "money" into the hands of a chosen few.

I like the idea of picking a project among ourselves and doing what we can at a local level. I would never want to live in the fishbowl that the celebs do, but knowing that I have helped someone else gives me a warm fuzzy feeling!!!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Ok...I am a little confused... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page