Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  07:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I know it was late in the season, but I had to take a chance on planting a few things. I basically didn't even start my garden until July first, and some things didn't get planted until around the 18th of July. I have juvenile cucumbers (not quite spouts or seedlings anymore but not huge yet either), I have one butternut squash plant that can't seem to get pollinated, and 2 juvenile egg plants. I have one cauliflower, about 8 each of yellow bell peppers and banana peppers that I am not sure how well they will do. And now my zucchini just sprouted.

My zucchini should have sprouted more than a week past, but they seem to be making up for lost time now! The package said they should reach harvest within 50 days. So I expect I will get a crop of zucchini and hopefully cucumbers if nothing else!

I am going to buy some fish emulsion today and dig a bigger bed for my cucumbers. They are starting to crowd each other. Hopefully the fish emulsion will give them a good boost!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  08:00:14 AM  Show Profile
Alee- For my squash and pumpkins, I have a real small paintbrush (named "The Pollinator") that I keep handy just in case the bees aren't doing their job. You can use your finger too. Just go out and rub your fingers on the pollin of the male blossom and transfer to the female blossom and get that squash going!! Hang in there somthing will grow-I have faith!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  08:01:42 AM  Show Profile
Alee, you will be getting a frost before long won't you? I try to plant stuff in August that will mature in 60 days. That would be about now. We will get our first frost about the middle of Oct. We had such a long and cool spring that the tomatoes and peppers are just now starting to come on. Everything is really 'off' this season.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  08:12:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lillian-

I tried that this morning with a Q-Tip, but it seemed to pull more pollen off. Tomorrow I will try the paintbrush technique. Thanks for the tip!

Belle- I think we shouldn't get a frost until mid to late September. I might need to go out and cover them with blankets if it starts getting really chilly at night.

Oh with the summer heat it is kind of fun to think of frosty nights and mornings isn't it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Late Season Garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page