lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  06:58:48 AM  Show Profile
Only 3 more days and school will start for my 10 yr old. It seems like she just started summer break yesterday. I just finished putting together 40 box lunches for the teachers - it's a back to school workday and the PTA provides lunch.

I think we have all of Miss K's necessary school supplies together...she is into reusing what she had left over from last year. I'm so happy she has that mind set.

Unfortunately on the clothes issue we did have to buy new shorts and shirts because she has grown also most 2" this summer...I call her my little weed.

When does everyone else's children head back to school?

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl, farmgirl #86

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  08:42:51 AM  Show Profile
Well, I don't have any, but Walton Verona down the road is already back in school, Donna, and the rest seem to start around the 18th of this month. I love this time of year, though this summer sure did seem to fly!!!

Glad your girl has a great mindset...from your posts, wouldn't think any different--just like her momma!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  09:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am not one of those moms that "cant wait for school to start", I am quit the opposite ~ I truly hate becoming a slave to the schools schedule.. and feel our family time is "held hostage" by the mounds of homework that for whatever reason cannot get done in the 6 hours of class time.. I home educated our two oldest and loved it, but DH and his family prefer public ed.. So of course I "let him" attend all the parent teacher meetings :)...

I dont get the homework thing~ I cannot image in the days that I ran an office ever requiring staff to take home extra work to have handed in the next morning or they wouldnt get a pay check~ I am certain that wouldnt fly in the real world.. We hear adults talk about need for "down time" but seem to require more from our children~ UGH!

But whether I am ready or not here it comes~ We start on the 26th of August

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  12:17:50 PM  Show Profile
We are back to school (for teachers) August 25. Students come back to school right after labor day. It's actually a state law for MI.
Go to Top of Page

italianchildhood
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

172 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  12:52:13 PM  Show Profile
We don't start until after Labor Day also--much later.
I don't look forward to it at all, I find it kind of sad, not sure why.

----------------------
http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds listings

And my latest amusement: http://foundmuseum.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  3:42:42 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, thank you for the compliment. Miss K has become the "reduce, reuse, recycle" queen at our house. She is my farmette in training.

Renee, I love your mindset about school. I have always felt that the school system works against working parents and they really need to think outside of the box and develop a system that works with the "working" world. I could get on a soap box here, but I won't.

Our county has never started school after Labor Day for years, but I recently heard that the new superintendent was revising the school dates. It just makes sense to me that school start in Sept. not during the heat of summer.

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl, farmgirl #86
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  7:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Our schools started Monday (Aug. 4). The do 9 weeks of classes, then a 2 week off period. I taught in that schedule for a few years. I began to think that 1 week off would have been enough, then we could have gotten a longer summer.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Back to school time Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page