Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Insulated Drapes/Wall Hanging For Winter:
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Insulated Drapes/Wall Hanging For Winter: Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  5:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay ladies!
**Pictures to come this weekend**

If we make these now we can be all prepared for winter. These can be made to fit behind your decorative drapes if you have a big enough curtain rod, and if not, I think they look pretty Nifty anyway!

Materials needed vary by size of windows:

Materials:

Large fabric material- Sheets, Blankets, or Quilts are perfect for this. I prefer to pick out a nice looking sheet as the top of the sheet makes hanging easier and they often have nice details at the top as well.

Wool or Cotton Batting. Natural material insulate better, but if all else fails you can use poly batting. See end of tutorial to find ordering information for the best and cheapest wool batting that I have found

Sewing materials such as sewing machine, needle and thread, scissors

**Optional** Sew on Velcro and sticky sided velcro. By 1/2 inch or better as this will have some wear and tear.

Instructions:

Wash material before using. Measure window. Plan for your material to overlap your window by at least 3-4 inches on each side. I like to use a 1/4 to 1/2 inch seam allowance so allot for that as well.

Cut or buy two pieces of fabric to the size of your window plus 8 inches. Lay right sides together.

Measure out and lay down batting to the same size as your fabric. Pin together.

Sew on 3 sides, catching batting in with stitches. This will tack it in place. Reverse your work. Right sides should now be out and the batting should be encased inside the fabric.

Sew a hidden hem on the last unsewn side. I usually plan for this to be the bottom. You can add embellishments such as lace, rick rack, or blanket stitching to make the seams look fancier.

This is your basic Insulated curtain. You can use your curtain hooks to attach it to a curtain rod at this point. Although see extra notes.

Extra Notes
If you are using a sheet, you can open the top of the sheet before sewing. This is often a 4-6 in head to the sheet that is fancier. By seam ripping and then not closing this part of the seam when sewing, you have a built in tube for a curtain rod.

If you are going to use curtain hooks, iron some heavy duty interfacing before sewing in the batting. This will reinforce your fabric for the hooks and weight.

Stick the soft side of velcro to your wall on all sides of the window, mark where this velcro hits your insulated curtain. Sew the scratchy side of the velcro (the hooks) to the wall side of the curtain. Then on the room side of the curtain sew more of the loop (soft) velcro. The idea of this is to press the curtain to the wall creating more of a seal. During the day you can roll the curtain up. The curtain will stay rolled do to the Velcro.

Pictures coming this weekend

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

kimberly renae
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

kim
southeast ohio
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  6:09:06 PM  Show Profile
hey thanks!! i cant wait to see pics!!

http://simple-needs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  09:26:55 AM  Show Profile
You can also re-purpose worn blankets in place of the batting. Batting can get spendy!!

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  10:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Angie- Yes it can. I found a plain place in Pennsylvania that sells it for about $4-5 a pound which is _amazing_.

I am also looking into the benefits of adding some sort of additional thermal layer on the outside.

Also I am looking at the cost to buy Duvets off Overstock.com to get more of a decorative look as I am having a hard time finding fancy sheets not in a set. However you can always embellish with additional fabric as well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  10:38:58 AM  Show Profile
Can you clarify what you mean by ripping out the stitches but leaving the preformed tube at one end of the sheet? I would have thought to use a sheet and leave the pre-existing hems completely alone - just sew the new layers on below the head of the sheet.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  11:41:33 AM  Show Profile
Another thing to consider is having a light color on the inside to reflect the heat back into the room. I think this is the year I'm going to start cranking out insulated curtains for every window in my house. I accidentally smashed the entire storm window, casing and all, on my bedroom window. i think that window is first on the list....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  12:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Amie!

If you look at the top of the sheet the where the "head" is, it often has a wide seam of about 4-6 inches. It is folded over creating a natural tube, but then seamed on the sides so that handy tube is all closed off. So if you seam rip just those 4-6 inches you will have a build in curtain tube for the curtain rod. It will make more sense when I get the pictures up- I promise.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  12:52:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I get it. I like to use sheets as curtains, and I thought there was usually a "tube" already to go. I must either have bought sheets that don't have the sides seamed at that point or else I flip them upside down when I hang them. (Can't remember).
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  1:44:32 PM  Show Profile
You can also put an "emergency" blanket in between layers. You can pick them up for a couple of dollars. I was given some pre-made thermal window coverings years ago by a friend who was going to make them for her house and never did. There were two fabric layers on the outside with two batting layers and an emergency blanket type layer in the middle. I used the same theory and made something similar when those no longer fit the windows we moved into.

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  08:01:25 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Alee, did you ever get these made? Do you have any pics? I'm looking to get started making some...
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  08:36:35 AM  Show Profile
This topic reminded me of a funny story:
A few years ago, I "volunteered" my husband to help an elderly woman at our church hang insulated drapes in her condominimum. She had already purchased the drapes, but she needed someone to put them up for her. We were in the process of moving, and my husband was set to leave the state (forever!) the next day. I assumed it would be a quick 1-2-3 project, since we were only hanging one set of drapes on one big picture window.
First problem: The lady had bought the wrong size curtain rod. It was so long it blocked the door next to the window. My good-hearted husband went home, unpacked a box to find a hacksaw, cut the rod to the right size, replaced the finial, and started again.
Second problem: He hung the curtains, and the woman had a fit because she said they were "too high." They weren't "too high;" she had bought curtains that were too short (she wanted them to touch the floor).
Third problem: My husband tried lowering the rod, but found out he couldn't drill into the drywall any closer to the top of the window. Apparently the window was installed with some kind of metal bracket around the top of the window, and he couldn't drill through it.
Fourth problem: The woman had another fit because of the extra holes my husband had drilled before he found out about the metal bracket surrounding the window. My sainted husband drove home to our house, unpacked a few more boxes to find wood putty and some leftover paint, went back to the old lady's house, spackled the holes, and repainted them. I think it was about midnight when he finally finished.
Looking back, it WAS funny. The whole time my husband was working, the lady kept having her poodle do tricks for us. For a treat the dog would stand on her hind legs and RUN through the house, standing straight up like a person. It was really creepy!
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  08:37:35 AM  Show Profile
This is a great idea. Did anyone get these done? I would love to see some pictures. I am such a visual person that some of this is confusing without pictures.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  08:41:42 AM  Show Profile
If it gets really cold (which is a rarity here) I clip quilts to the curtain rods with clothespins. It makes the house all warm and cozy. We haven't had to do that in a few years. I'm hoping maybe this winter I will be able to, but probably not.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  10:36:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I haven't gotten them done yet, been too busy! But it is about to get cold here for at least a few days, so I am sure I will be working on them soon!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  11:47:46 AM  Show Profile
Alee I hope to see your handy work on Sunday. I have a few ideas myself on how to keep the cold out heat in.

Madelynne
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  12:45:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee~I know that you have been so busy. I can't wait to see them. I am trying to picture the instructions because I have so many windows. Two of them right near our bed in our very small bedroom and it would be nice to keep them insulated.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  12:37:05 AM  Show Profile
Subscribing to the convo so I won't miss the pics

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dasparky
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter; Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #275

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  09:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
me too!

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Yes! I live in the Scranton, PA "The Office" TV show is based on! LOL LOL
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  11:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Awesome! As soon as pay day comes I am going to buy some fun fleece because I just can't find a fabric in my price range to make drapes out of, and I am out of sheets! But they are going to be fabulous!!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  9:16:37 PM  Show Profile
Don't forget to check the thrift shops for that batting, old blankets. We get them all the time at mine. I brought home some decorator (Victorian/Bohemian style print) that came in (to thrift shop) to make a curtain to block off a room in the back of the house that has no heat from the rest of the other rooms. I have not hung the rod yet, but it was freezing here today so I need to get this done. I got the idea from seeing it used in Victorian houses in old movies...I thought "how smart!" So I determined to do this for the upcoming winter. It will also look nice, not tacky, because the fabric is pretty.
I always get cold at the dining room table during the winter because of the cold air that comes in through this room. So this should remedy this problem
I will post a pic when I get it up.
Pamela

http://homesteadmercantile.blogspot.com/ (my personal blog)
www.thomstravel.com (to book your travel & save)
www.ytb.com/thomstravel (own your travel store & travel as an insider)
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  12:42:22 AM  Show Profile
Alee - thanks for sharing this info. We don't get as cold here as some places but I'm going to do what I can to keep any cold air out. Our natural gas prices are going up 45%.

Handmade Soap and More! Try my new Lavender Oatmeal Facial Bar - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

vintagetag
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Linda
Cheyenne WY
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  5:31:51 PM  Show Profile
An added idea for thrift store shoppers - I have used mattress pad covers instead of the fleece or batting - works just as well.

Linda
Cheyenne, WY
USA
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  6:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Those are all great ideas! Don't you love it when brainstorming saves us money?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  07:25:06 AM  Show Profile
I get the part about the quilt itself, I'm just unsure as to where to sew the velcro on it so that it could be rolled up and stay. I just had an idea! Alee, if you could draw a diagram, take a picture and post it here, that would help a lot.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  09:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I will try to do a diagram today in paint or something. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  09:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay- No laughing!

Here is the first Paint diagram of how to put the velcro around the window. In a few minutes I will have one up on how to apply it to the two sides of the drapes.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Edited by - Alee on Oct 12 2008 09:35:54 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Insulated Drapes/Wall Hanging For Winter: Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page