Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  11:55:14 AM  Show Profile
I thought I would share with you all, DH and my new adventure. We bought a restaurant and having fun cleaning, repairing, remodeling, and just getting things together. Last night was our first opening as new owners and we did great! So exciting. I did lunch today it was fun. DH and I used to work for the previous owners a while back and we are just thrilled to be able to call it our own now.
We would so appreciate your thoughts and prayers as we try to turn this once dying busines into a success.:O)
thanks and hugs!
jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  12:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Yea Jessie, I am so excited for you both! I can't wait to see pictures and hear all about adventures at the restaurant! you go!

AngiKay
www.angikay.etsy.com

Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  8:15:52 PM  Show Profile
I would love to hear more about your restaurant. My husband & I owned a business and it went downhill so we quit. I said the only thing I would ever do for myself again would be a cafe. Our whole family dreams about it. We talk about what we would serve, ect. but I am scared to death to go into business again. What kind of place is it? Is it a franchise or a little homestyle cafe? Do you work all hours or do you have good help? We will definately be praying for your success.

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  8:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jessi,
How awesome! Of course we wish you and hubby the very best and much success.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  9:18:49 PM  Show Profile
thanks for the wishes and prayers. we really appreciate it.
The business, was a pizza shop, but we are slowly hoping to turn it into more of a homestyle family type place. The previous owners decided it was time to move on to a new season in their lives and we have known them for ages. (We used to work for them at the shop years back.)
We had mounds of cleaning in order to get it up to code and some minor remodeling and repairs. The repairs are almost done. It's equipment problems mostly right now. We redid the front room, put in a new counter, added window coverings, new ceiling, and gobs of painting. Thankfully, that is minor and it looks like all easy fixes, though some are time consuming.
We are doing the work all ourselves right now. We kept one of the previous employees, though she may be finding a new job soon...conflict of character. DH and I take the lunch shift (the front room is good sized so I can take the children and they have their own special place to play aside apart from all the "front room" action. They have a little t.v. and take books, crayons, toys, and usually take naps fairly easily there. They love being able to see what we are doing. DD,2, likes to help once the ovens are turned off with washing dishes and whatever. We had to let them explore at first to get used to it all.:O)
I have done a couple of dinner shifts, but found that it was better to hire someone new on than it was to get a babysitter all the time. (I have two toddlers.)The kids do not mind lunch time away, but when it nears bedtime, it is best to keep their schedules here at home, and babysitters become frustrating for both them and me.
DH is on duty 9 hrs a day, but we are making sure to take Sunday and Mondays off. (It was fight to get everyone to leave the business closed on Mondays, but I really think that if we honor God's day of rest with rest, that He will bless us with business enough to make upfor it through the week.
Tonight, was the last night of our first week. We did almost TRIPLE what the previous owners have done in a week in a long time.
We are praising God that He is going through this with us, and we are praying that His will be done in the business and with all who work with us. With God all things are possible. and I just love the verse that says "All things work together for good, to them that love the Lord." I am claiming those promises and hoping for success. :O)
I haven't figured out how to post pics very well yet, but I will try to get them on my blog or I can email them if anyone would like to see them.:)
Hugs,
Jessie

Farmgirl Sister #235

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  8:35:41 PM  Show Profile
Jessie,

Your place sounds so wonderful! How exciting that you tripled the previous owner's numbers. That has to be very encouraging. You said it was a pizza place. Is that basically all you serve right now? The homestyle menu sounds right down my alley. Although I like doing things homemade and that is very hard when you have to do it in volume. Are you in a small town or a city? I think it is great that you take Sundays off. That was one of the mistakes that we made (in the construction business), not taking any time off. We were scared to rest for fear of not making enough money. However, since then, we have put a lot of things into perspective. I wish we were closer and could visit your place. I would love to see pictures, but I understand not being able to post pics very well. I couldn't do it if I tried. The sad thing is, I am sure that my 12 year old daughter probably could if I asked her!

Best of luck,
Holly
Go to Top of Page

MartiBee
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Martha
N Ft Myers FL
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  9:10:18 PM  Show Profile
I ran a restaurant for 4 years and a cafe for a year. The restaurant is very hard, tough work but it can be rewarding. Don't forget that it's bad luck not to feed any who knock on the back door begging for food. People will put up with a lot if your staff is nice but professional. Good luck, good luck, good luck.

Martibee
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  6:44:49 PM  Show Profile
Jess
Yeah your doors are open and business has begun. I am so happy for you both. Keep doing the hard work and it will come.
I like the idea of homestyle meals as well. Praying for your success.
cs

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  7:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Jess
Congrats to both of you. Homestyle meals are great. I wish your restraunt was next door to me! LOL
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  9:37:59 PM  Show Profile
HI Ladies.
well, we finished out or week with some awesome numbers! yay! We did even better in the numbers that we did with the count of new customers coming in...we are SOOOO excited!
We kept asking how they found out about us as we have a lot of town people coming in. Most of them would say, we heard from "so n so" it was under new management and had to give it a try! There's something to be said for those small town gossip chains..lol!
We have added some neat things to the menus....my favorite is this skillet things. like cornbread casseroles with black eyed peas, polish sausage,collards or mustard green, chicken broth, and jalapenos..yum yum!Can't wait til we add them steady and I can eat away..lol..(have to taste test of course!) DH brought me one home a long time ago and the "chef"(hehe) who baked them up has offered to let us add them..YAY!!
(Can you tell we're southern cooking too..lol)
so far so good. Had a little bout of work a hol ism this week, but will be taking breathers. too much means burnout but hopefully that wont happen til 20 years from now!:)
hugs jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  6:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Jessie! How wonderful! I hope and pray your business is a growing success! It sounds fantastic!

Barb
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  5:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good for you and hubby, there's nothing like making something of something that is your own.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic giving it the business Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page