Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  06:18:55 AM  Show Profile
We all are aware of strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, but what are some of the more regional berries you have in your area? I was in NY last weekend and saw "gooseberries", about the size of a grape. Wonder what you do with them?

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  09:44:26 AM  Show Profile
You can make gooseberry pie,jelly,gooseberry crisp. They can be combined with other fruit when making pies.I have mixed them with apples before for a different pie or crisp. Depending on when they are picked they can be quite tart. I have some growing here that I planted and they were not as tart this year as they have been in the past.

You can do a search on the internet and I bet you would find a lot of recipes. Good luck !

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  09:46:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh I forgot we have wild raspberries, blackberries,and a little ways away from me there are elderberries. I hope to get some of them this year.
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  10:20:51 AM  Show Profile
I know in Central Montana they have chokecherries, which are more of a berry than a cherry. I'm not sure what they do with them except make jam.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  1:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
choke cherries make wonderful jams, syrups, wine and cordials.
here in interior alaska we have high bush and low bush cranberries, blueberries, chokecherries, rosehips, raspberries. those are just the ones i know and utilize. i am sure there are many more. i cant lay my hands on my book right at the moment. i will need to find it so i can take it with me hunting since we are going into an area i have never been in. its a place that i swear is called chicken! they couldnt spell ptarmigan so settled on chicken lol. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  3:22:49 PM  Show Profile
Hey Suzan, we also have currants, elderberry, chokeberry, boysenberries (haha, probably not spelled correctly)..and yes, gooseberries :)

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  05:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh, you all are bringing back memories! There used to be an elderberry bush out by Dad's barn, we used to go over there and stand and eat them! I think it was destroyed to make room for the horses fencing...and currants! I forgot about them - when I was a kid one of my friends had currant bushes out behind their house, we used to eat them right off the bushes - no wonder we never went home for lunch! Between the berries and picking snap beans and peas rightout of the gardens to eat on our way...
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  06:54:45 AM  Show Profile
We have a berry called a Marion. Marion berries are a cross between a boysen berry and I believe a raspberry. They are named for the county they were developed in - Marion county. They are wonderful as jam or in pie or cobbler. Another berry that alot of people don't talk about are Logans - this is a soft berry, kinda like a raspberry - they also make wonderful jam and juice.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  08:36:04 AM  Show Profile
I have heard of marionberries but I didn't know anything about them. Also the boysenberries, I've heard of them but don't know anything about them. when I was up in Victoria a few years ago we had pie that was ?bumbleberry? Is there really a berry called that or is it a combination of berries in the pie? Anyone know?
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Berries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page