Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 wanted: children's book recommendations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic wanted: children's book recommendations Next Topic
Page: of 2

mustbeteatime
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Colette
MN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  09:37:35 AM  Show Profile
I read the thread on beautiful and unusual children's books and decided this didn't quite fit in...

We borrow stacks of children’s books from the library almost weekly – sometimes we have 30 or more (50 is the limit).
Always looking for recommendations – what are your favorites?

Some of our favorites:

Little Farm by the Sea - by Kay Chorao (so beautiful I want my own)
Big Red Barn – by Margaret Wise Brown
The Bear Under the Stairs – Helen F. Coooper
The Rusty, Trusty Tractor – Joy Cowley
almost anything by Martin Waddell, Rick Walton, or Kay Chorao
and
The Cow who wouldn't come Down
The Pig who ran a Red Light
The Goose who went off in a Huff – all by Paul Brett Johnson – they are hilarious!

Also, for all you farmgirls:
A Farm of her Own – Natalie Kinsey-Warnock

Enjoy the good things in life - especially when there is time for tea!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  10:28:28 AM  Show Profile
Casey the Clumsy Colt ( I have always told my son Casey that it where I got his name) my favorite book when I was a kid..a favorite babysitter brought it to me when I had the chicken pox. I lost track of it and recently bought a new copy from ebay. Cute story and pictures.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  10:57:44 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

More fun kid's picturebooks (I am a librarian and work with dozens of kids daily). Here is a very quick, kind of brainstorming type of list--I could go on forever. A good ref book on children's materials that they have at almost all libraries is "A to Zoo". I would encourage you to take a look at it.

Any of the Laura Numeroff books--If you give a mouse...
Corduroy Freeman
Angelina Ballerina Can't think of author
Most of the Caldecott books (award given for best illustration of a picturebook) Where the Wild Things Are, Make Way for Ducklings etc etc
Nancy Carlstrom --author
Leo Lionni author
Robert Krause author
Patricia Polacco author
There's a Nightmare in My Closet Mercer Mayer
Gilberto and the Wind --title
Harold and the Purple Crayon- title
Eric Carle author
Marc Brown Arthur books
Carrot Seed Robert Krause
Judith Viorst the ALexander books
Turkeyball--a very simple and funny book for young kids
The Cranberry series by Devlin
Ezra Jack Keats author
Pat Mora author
any books by any of the Pinckney family
Donald Crews author
Pat Hutchins author
Gail Gibbons author
Charlotte Zolotow
Polar Express (some like this author's work, others don't)

Enjoy!!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  10:59:25 AM  Show Profile
Oops one more of my old favorites Katy No Pocket

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  11:44:46 AM  Show Profile
Boxcar Children
Magic Treehouse Series
Matthew's Meadow
My Father's Dragon
Too Many Hats
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Any Tomy DePaola
In the Night Kitchen Maurice Sendak (beware the boy is anatomically correct and nude which used to crack my son up!)
Chrysanthemum (children with unusual names LOVE this book)
Richard Scarry's Busytown books are wonderful
Little Golden books ( Children's Garden of Verse, etc illustrated by Eloise Wilkin)
Mercer Mayer's "Little Critter" books -kids love that Little Critter has the same troubles they do!
Any Jan Brett books (her animals are great!)
Patricia McLaughlin (several to choose from-all great!)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  12:56:06 PM  Show Profile
Beatrix Potter series, Wind in the Willows, A.a Milne and the Pooh Series, Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown, Blueberries for Sal, Peach and Blue, Lyle the Crocodile, Vegetables Go to Bed, Richard Scarry were some of our favs.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  8:55:21 PM  Show Profile
James Herriott's Treasury for Children - heartwarming animal stories from the English vet; beautifully illustrated. We love it and I almost always give it as new baby and children's b-day gifts. My youngest is 11 and still enjoys it.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  02:05:18 AM  Show Profile
I always give Goodnight Moon and Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown for new baby gifts. I just adore the slow, rhythmic words...they are so comforting.Im not familiar with Big Red Barn...I will have to search it out.

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  08:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I LOVE the Mr. Lunch series by J. Otto Seibold. The illustrators fun, graphic style is a riot...and the Christmas book called
"Olive, The Other Reindeer" is very sweet too.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  11:36:32 AM  Show Profile
I am more of a classic book kind of gal. Winnie the Pooh, Beatrix Potter,Little House books... . I help at a reading program at our grade school so do get to read some new ones. SOme are really cute some are really dumb. My little reader today read one called "Two Crazy Pigs"I thought it was a hoot. I'm not familiar with the Cranberry series, will have to check it out.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

mustbeteatime
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Colette
MN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  1:39:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone! This is great - I am busy writing up a search list for my next trip to the library. We have read many posted here, but there are just as many that I didn't recognize. Another favorite of my son's is Grandpa's Too Good Garden by James Stevenson - he cracks up everytime we read it. My husband thinks I'm nuts, because I manage to accumulate so many books... he just doesn't get it that our one tiny bookshelf is not enough - and that is just for my books! My son has a bookcase headboard that is full and I picked up a narrow tower shelf for his room that is already full... there are stacks everywhere. Someone my husband works with gave us two bags full and yes, some are really dumb... we recycle those through the library book sale. We read the classics too - Uncle Wiggily is a favorite.

Keep the suggestions coming - especially for those really special or hilarious ones that when you read them, you almost (or did) have to own your own copy. (Such as The Hidden House by Martin Waddell - I now have my own copy) THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the good things in life - especially when there is time for tea!
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  3:32:20 PM  Show Profile
I loved the sarendipity books when I was a kid, I had them all and then foolishly sold them at a garage sale when I thought I was "too grown up for kids books" anyway, the only one still being printed is Wheedle on the needle, which you can buy in Seattles Space Needle. Sometime when we can afford it I plan to track them all down on e-bay or someplace similar and get the whole set of them for my girls to enjoy.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  5:50:35 PM  Show Profile
You asked for it:

Sixteen Cows by Lisa Wheeler illustrated by Kurt Cyrus
Mrs. Biddlebox by Linda Smith illus. Marla Frazee
One of Each by MaryAnn Hoberman illus. Marjorie Priceman
Andrew Henry's Meadow written & illus. by Doris Burn
The Money Tree by Sarah Stewart illus. David Small
OxCart Man by Donald Hall illus Barbara Cooney
Miss Rumphius written & illus by Barbara Cooney
Seven Silly Eaters by MaryAnn Hoberman illus Marla Frazee
How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long illus David Shannon
Dr. DeSoto by William Steig
Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson illus (um . . . I forgot)
Little Bear's Little Boat by Eve Bunting illus Nancy Carpenter
George Washington's Cows written & illus by David Small
How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie Priceman

And hot off the press:
Santa Claus: The World's #1 Toy Expert by Marla Frazee

I'm assuming you want picture book recommendations. If you're after middle grade novels I'd be delighted to run down another list.
Go to Top of Page

mustbeteatime
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Colette
MN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  6:50:51 PM  Show Profile
lurban...

Your list is making me laugh (a very good kind of laugh)... we haven't read most of them... BUT we have read Miss Rumphius (I love that one) and George Washington's Cows - my kids don't really get it, but I've borrowed it 3 times because it just cracks me up! The list is perfect, I'll take it with me to the library if I get there tomorrow. I'll ask for the middle grade novels in a few years - the kids are 4 and 2, so picture books mostly it is for now.

-Colette
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  7:01:31 PM  Show Profile
If it's dumb and silly you want...
Don't miss Dumb Bunnies, Super Diaper Baby or the whole Captain Underpants series by Dave Pilkey(especially good for beginning readers and their Dad's, it's definitely BOY humor but I do know that some girls like them too!

For the younger ones Sheep in a Jeep or the rest of the Animal in a...series. All those crazy rhyming Dr. Seuss, and No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, No David, Maurice Sendak's Little Bear series,
Berenstain Bears, Space Pigs, Cluck, Cluck, Moo; and all the Jesse Bear books.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  7:53:46 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE the sheep books..we have sheep in a jeep, sheep on a ship, sheep out to eat, sheep at a shop and gosh a couple others I can't think of..they are simple and adorable!! I got mine years ago at a spinning shop in calif and sure recomend them..my 9 year old son loved them and then my little granddaughter too. Some of ours came with cassette tapes so they could read along.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

mustbeteatime
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Colette
MN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  7:57:04 PM  Show Profile
Hee Hee - we've read a few of those - the Sheep in a Jeep ones, No More Monkeys..., Berenstain Bears, Dr. Suess, ... and by the author of No David - Duck on a Bike. Hmmm - Captain Underpants? I can just imagine...

Notice how many of the best children's books have a farm or farm animal theme? Farms, farm life... I think it sparks the imagination in so many ways. Sweet, funny, resourceful (like the folks in Rocks in My Pockets by Marc Harshman), it truly is a special way of life.
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  3:21:06 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if you Americans get any Robert Munch books, but they are a favourite of Canadian children. Books like:
The Paper Bag Princess
Mortimer
Thomas' Snowsuit
Love You Forever (My absolute favourite!)

He has published tonnes and tonnes of books, and they are meant to be read aloud. Whenever I can, I see him perform in public. The interaction with the kids is fantastic!

If you like rhymes, anything by Dennis Lee is good: Garbage Delight, Lizzy's Lion, Jelly Belly, Aligator Pie, the Cat and the Wizard...

Other kids books I love:
Snow White retold by Paul Heins (illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman)
Beauty and the Beast retold by Marianna Mayer (illustrated by Mercer Mayer)
The Girl in the Golden Bower by Jane Yolen (illustrated by Jane Dyer)
The Sleeping Beauty retold and illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman
The Unicorn and the Lake by Marianna Mayer (illustrated by Michael Hague)
The Little Jewel Box by Marianna Mayer (illustrated by Margot Tomes)
East of the Sun and West of the Moon by Mercer Mayer
The Twelve Dancing Princesses retold by Ruth Sanderson

Most of these are fairy tales, but as I'm sure you know, please be aware they may not be suitable for some small children due to the graphic nature of the story.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  1:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Colette,
You're right - children's books about the farm are wonderful, and speaking of: Charlotte's Web - an all-time favorite! I picked up a book the other day and will start soon, called Katharine and E. B. White: An Affectionate Memoir by Isabel Russell. It has a sweet picture of them on the cover (he's the author of Charlotte's Web and other books, some for children, some for adults). My husband has a book by their son about sailing. This memoir of the Whites is by their personal secretary of 8 years. The inside flap mentions how private they were on their Maine farm and that they were one of the great literary marriages of our time. Can't wait to read it!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  1:56:01 PM  Show Profile
Love you Forever makes me cry every single time I read it. My second son..who is 25 now did a special mothers day program where the class (3rd graders) read the book to the moms ..after giving us big paper flower corsages to wear...Casey read the line about the teenagers..I remember than all the moms were wiping away tears..it was touching. I gave a copy of this book to a couple of my day care moms when I did day care years ago..to a couple mom's who I felt ignored their little boys..I don't know if they ever read it or were effected by the book like I was..but I tried. I sure recomend that one!!
I thought of another one I love..called "Farm for Rent".

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Anna
MaryJane's Farmgirl

27 Posts

Pullman WA
27 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  4:35:51 PM  Show Profile
My favorite older kid books (that are still on my bookshelf, well-worn by now): Shilo, A Wrinkle in Time, and The Giver. That one is one of my favorites to this day.

The Sewing Girl at MaryJanesFarm :^)
Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  5:09:09 PM  Show Profile
I'll love you forever I'll like you for always by Robert Munsch has always been my favorite book since I was a child. It's a loving story about how as you get older you take care of your family the way they use to take care of you. It’s a real heart warmer.
Enjoy!
Kate

Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it.....unless they are spelling mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  4:31:56 PM  Show Profile
Munsch is marvelous, and a hoot to boot. "i love you forever" seems to be the fav Munsch books but i like them all. They're so lively to read and my kids used to laugh like crazy at the situations. CityCat's right, though, recordings or live performances of Munsch readings are true stoyteller art. The guy was born for it. "Pigs" and "Paperbag Princess" are two gems that come to mind.

I LOVE Mercer Mayer. Prolly read all the Little Critter a bajillion times. And Mayer has lent his hand to some other great projects, too. Can't go wrong with him.

And "Stellaluna" by Janell Cannon. A bat who is adopted by birds. Beatiful and believable art. A funny, heartwarming story that culivates empathy.

"The Big Pets" by Lane Smith.

"The Stinky Cheeze Man, and other Fairly Stupid Tales" & "Squids Will Be Squids: Fresh Morals, Beastly Fables" by Jon Scieszka. Irreverant and witty.

"Snow White & Rose Red" by the bros Grimm. The edition i like is the one illustrated by Gennady Spirin. Gorgeous and empowering.

A middle reader (like 8-14 year olds) set of books that empowers young peoples is: "The Enchanted Forest Chronicles" by Patricia Wrede. The first book is: "Dealing with Dragons" and the protaganist is funny, resourceful and makes her own future. My son still goes back to them to read even though he's 17. They're all quite good, i've read them twice (once out loud).

whups, gotta go, MJ just brought us popcorn!

Goaliebird
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  5:51:18 PM  Show Profile
I think it was Munch that wrote "Good Families Do" about a large green fart that terrorizes a family, then it gets tamed and the mom makes a green felt fart monster cute thing for the kid to cuddle. It teaches us that every family farts... but not to let the farts get too out of hand. It's a cute story. Dr. Dog is another good one teaching kids about personal hygiene, washing hands, using kleenex, not sharing combs. ect. All the nasties of childhood.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

Edited by - MeadowLark on Nov 08 2005 5:52:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2005 :  07:40:36 AM  Show Profile
My daughter loves dog books so our alltime favorite is Argo You Lucky Dog by Maggie Smith. We also like Mark Teague's Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters from Obedience School and Detective LaRue: Letters from the Investigation.

Two other favorites are:
Gershon's Monster by Eric Kimmel (A story about Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashanah) and forgiveness A great story for anyone's New Year)

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski

Princess Furball- A beautifully illustrated version of the Cinderella story- Can't remember the author.

Happy reading,

Tania in Boise
Go to Top of Page

Birdcat
MaryJane's Farmboy

51 Posts

erik

51 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2005 :  09:37:53 AM  Show Profile
yeah, i was avoiding the "Good Families Do." description. But now that the beautiful farmgrrl genius Meadowlark has broke the ice, what the hey. Stories about green farts and Captain Underpants are definitely exploiting a niche. I think it's great. "The Stinky Cheeze Man" and "Squids will be Squids" also appeal to a childs natural humor about the GI track. I think it's healthy. I remember my favorite art teacher would use this card to get our attention in class. He'd be dealing with a bunch of squealing, out-of-control 8 year olds and would suddenly announce, "Oh Geeze, i forgot to wear my underwear." I suppose that sort of remark would get him fired nowadays but it sure got everybody's attention back then. And their empathy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic wanted: children's book recommendations Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page