Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Carla Emery coming to visit again!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Carla Emery coming to visit again! Next Topic  

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2004 :  11:51:01 AM  Show Profile
I am so excited. Carla Emery, who wrote the big book..The Encyclopedia of Country Living (formerly called "The Old Fashioned Recipe Book") is coming here next week to visit. I am hosting her for a talk here in town. She will talk about the modern homesteading movement and growing a great garden. She is such a nice person...just like you would expect if you read her book. She and her husband will stay at my house and eat with us and all. She came last October and did a small booksigning in my home (about 25 people came) I am hoping this time for more people. We have a lodge at a local campground reserved for her talk, and it seats 80. I need to get cookies made for that night. The kids and I have been putting up flyers like crazy!! We can hardly wait!! If any of you will be near central Utah you are welcome to come..just contact me for details.
I have been a fan of Carla and her book for years and years and have 3 different editions. She is re doing and adding to the 10th edition now and it is amazing the info this book covers!! Every Farm girl (or wanna be farmgirl) could benefit from it!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  7:29:40 PM  Show Profile
Dear Jenny,
I borrowed that book from my daughter's school library this past year and kept renewing! How fortunate you are to be hosting and learning from the author. Wish I was going to be in central Utah. I'd come! Have a good time:)
Go to Top of Page

Rhonda Perich
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Rhonda
Grand Junction CO
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2004 :  6:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh man I have Carla's book and have read if from cover to cover. I thought she was suppose to be in Montrose, CO this August also but couldn't find out any information on it. I would have loved to hear her speak. How far away from me are you ? As my kids would say "you are a lucky duck ".. Maybe next time I can catch her if she comes this way again.
Hugs, Rhonda
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2004 :  08:16:53 AM  Show Profile
It was so fun. She actually stayed at my house for 3 days and nights. We had so much fun. To have Carla Emery help me weed my garden!!!! She is just so sweet and humble and real!! I know she had two speaking "events" in Colorado...one just before coming here (can't remember where, but Montrose sounds right) and then after she left here last Friday she spoke at the city library at Colorado springs Saturday afternoon..and then went home. She and her husband were on the road for 5 weeks this time. I know she plans a trip next spring or summer again. You can look up her itenerary on her website at carlaemery.com. I think I may be about 5 hours from you..just a rough guess. I have an uncle who lives in Craig, CO and the is 5 hours from here if you know where Craig is. I don't know CO very well. I am about in the middle of Utah.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2004 :  2:03:36 PM  Show Profile
Well, I went to Amazon and ordered the book by Carla Emery that you mentioned, Jenny. Her sales will take a leap now thanks to you!

I cannot wait to get the book - it looks so informative. It may focus on western life and it's soil and gardens? I hope that it will also be helpful to people living anywhere.

I hope you had great fun hosting her, and what a blessing for you!

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2004 :  10:28:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh I think it has stuff about planting anywhere...she includes so much..you will be amazed. I KNOW you will love it.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  4:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Thought I'd ressurect this topic of interest for all you newcomers. This is such an amazing and comprehensive book that it is a must for anyone new to country life or even just wondering about something they'd like to try.
Aunt Jenny-- Are you hosting her visit to your area again? I thought I saw Manti on her schedule of locations this year.Also, any idea when the 10th edition will be in print ? In our bookstore Carla and MJ sit side by side on the shelf for "new age homesteading", strange but true!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Jul 04 2005 4:38:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  11:05:15 PM  Show Profile
Yep, Carla's book is great too..lots of knowledge there! She didn't end up coming to Manti this year. What she was booked for a was a writer's workshop that my sis in law was to arrange for her homeschool group and it didn't happen. My other Sis in law hosted her in Calif in April though and they had a good time and a good turnout. I think it will be next year before the 10th edition comes out..it is going to be worth getting for sure! She really has went all out to go more in depth even than now on subjects. She is a great gal too, and fun to know. She has a website at carlaemery.com and sends out a newsletter by email if any of you ask for it.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Carla Emery coming to visit again! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page