Feythe
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Jana
Decatur GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  4:15:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi farmgirls! Some time back I posted a 'recipe' to help keep bugs out of the pantry. I've since found something to help reinforce it that works great and is safe to use around food and pets. The original recipe is catnip, fresh garlic clove, and bay leaves that I tie up in little net bags with a twisty tie ... then to keep the catnip from crumbling out onto the shelves, I set the net bag inside a tiny paper cup with holes punched in the sides so the scent gets out. The reinforcement is a product called Orange Guard (it says it's for ants, roaches, fleas) that you spray onto the cleaned shelves, wait three minutes, then wipe gently with a damp sponge or cloth. I left all the cupboard doors open so this could dry completely, then restocked, tucked in the cups and haven't had a single trace (if you get my drift) of bug activity for 4 months now. I've also sprayed the Orange Guard around and behind appliances and cupboards in the kitchen without concern that it might harm my dog. The smell isn't bad - we're not talking the scent of fresh oranges here (LOL), but it's not chemical smelling (I'm very sensitive to chemical smells).

Farmgirl Sister #67
All is Well.

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  9:24:47 PM  Show Profile
I have heard of this product too. Where did you get yours from?

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Feythe
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Jana
Decatur GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  6:38:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brenda,
I believe I ordered it from a catalog called 'Solutions' --- after first checking with two local hardware stores to see if they carried it and found that they did not. But last week I saw it on the shelf at my local health food store! I should have thought to look there,too, but didn't.
Jana

Farmgirl Sister #67
All is Well.
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  10:50:58 AM  Show Profile
Ha ha....when I glanced at this topic title, I saw 'bug detergent'.....I was wondering what on earth it was!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic bug deterrent Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page