Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 help! i just remembered why...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic help! i just remembered why... Next Topic  

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  1:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i dont knit! if you make a mistake how do you go back and fix it without losing all the work you ahve already done?? i am knitting along thinking "this pattern is so easy to tell where you are" when oops i realize i have made a bad mistake in the previous row! now what??? i never seem to get it right when i try to just slip the stitches back to the other needle. is there a trick to this???
peace connie in alaska

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  1:09:30 PM  Show Profile
I will take one stitch off at a time instead of unraveling the whole row and praying I can get the row back onto the needles. I'll try describing as best I can here...Okay you have the loop that's actually on the needle, then below the loop you'll see the C looking one that runs horizontal under the loop on the needle. Take your empty needle, insert it into that C, putting it on the empty needle, then gently pull on your working yarn. Repeat until you get back to where you can correct the error.

I sure hope that made some sense!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  1:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thanks diana, how do you know which way the loop is to go when you pu it back on? seems like mine get turned around more often thean not. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  1:44:34 PM  Show Profile
I personally can tell by the feel when I go to reknit the stitch, but you can check to see if it looks twisted. If it is, then take the loop off, turn it around then put it back on the needle.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  1:53:10 PM  Show Profile
You can also knit the next row until you reach the spot where you dropped the stitch. Then with a crochet needle pull up the stitch and pull through the stitch above it until you reach the top. Go over and under. You'll know you are doing it right when it looks the same as the other stitches.Hope this helps.
Linda

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  1:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thanks much those both sound like good plans *smile* i will fix this goof up, even tho it is just a dish cloth,but lordy, lordy how i do wish it were crochet here i only have to worry about one loop at a time! lol. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  5:52:54 PM  Show Profile
I've used both methods to pick up a lost stitch. There is that old saying..."when in doubt, rip it out!" Luckily, when I was learning to knit socks (on very small size 2 needles) my friend who got me back into knitting loved to go back and "fix" things. I can't tell you how many times she ripped out and knitted back for me! I just can't get the hang of totally frogging something and then putting all the little stitches back on. It's one at a time for me! You are lucky you caught your error only one row back! When I frog, I totally frog! It's a pain.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  8:28:42 PM  Show Profile
I rip out often. I have learned not to knit anything but dishcloths when someone is talking to me..haha. If it is only a row or two back I carefully "unknit" being careful not to twist stitches, but if it is an inch or more I rip-it...but I am cranky while I do it. Not much help, am I? I love to knit, and I love the look of knitting, but crochet is for sure easier to rip out and start over....only one loop to worry about!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  12:09:52 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
so far i have tried the one stich at a time thing to fix my boo-boos with no luck so ripped it out 4 times! i only had 8 rows done but that took me forever since i have never knitted much and its been over 30 years since i last touched a kitting needle! *grumble, grumble, cuss, cuss, bad word!* one more time...i keep telling myself that i will get it right this time! gonna try tearing it out one more time and then?? probably tear it out again till the yarn is worn out! lol and here i thought that dishcloths would be a good re-start? and a way to learn new patterns? NOT!!! peace connie in alaska p.s. i need lots of encouragement can ya tell???
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  06:28:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Connnie-

I feel your pain! I taught myself to knit off a website. When I told a master knitter friend of mine she couldn't believe it. She said that was the hardest way and why didn't I just find someone to teach me, like her? And I just shrugged and said "No one was around and I wanted to learn!" LOL

Anyway- I had to rip out so many lines. I don't know if you are trying a special pattern or just the knit stitch.

One thing that I DO know, is once you have knitted for a while, it gets easier. And each time you rip out and do it again, it will get slightly easier. What you are doing is training in some muscle memory. Right now, you are laying a new pattern of hand movements down in your brain at a subconscious level. Soon you will be able to disconnect and just flow. You'll look down and wonder where that scarf came from! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  07:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
If there is a mistake in my knitting I either "knit back" when it is some lace project- in plain stockinette I just drop that one stitch and unravel it to the mistake, fix it and then I use a crochet hook to return to the row I am knitting. I just bought a tiny key ring with a little crochet hook that works perfectly with sock projects.

Nadine is Farmgirl Sister #262 (the only one in Europe so far!) and she blogs at http://nadsknittingblog.blogspot.com/ and knits on Ravelry as Nadknitblog and on Plurk she is NadKnitBlog too!
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  10:28:05 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
alee, i am doing a pattern that is knit 3 *yo k 2tog,k 1* i keep finding that somewhere, i never can tell wheree, i forget to yo or k 1. grrrr. i know i cn do this!
remembering how my grandmother knit i feel so inept! she did something wtih the yarn that i cannot understand (she is long since passed to that great yarn store in the sky). she could do it without letting go of the needle when making stitches. i know the way i hold the yarn is wrong but cannot figure out what she did. *sigh* peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  08:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
wow! it's amazing how many different ways we use to do the same thing! when i notice i've dropped a stitch in the last row, i shove a circular needle of the same size through it until i get back around to that spot. then i use the circ to knit it up to where it is supose to be and slip it on the needle. like alee, i taught myself to knit, so my methods may be a bit strange, but it works and you can't even see where the mistake was.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  10:38:03 AM  Show Profile
If you could get ahold of a copy of Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears you might feel encouraged. I discovered her books when I first started knitting in earnest, and she was a brilliant knitter. She showed how to pick up a dropped stitch or two, how to knit in the round, and many amazing patterns with really simple stiitches. Her instructions are clear and conversational. She was a very amusing writer and I can no longer knit because of physical problems, but I still like to dip into her books and read them every once in a while...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  8:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
karin, i am definately going to look for it at our local bookstore. shippin gto alaska usually makes buying online a less than good plan if i can find it local.
i was able to get someone to show me what my grandma used to do with the yarn! the first place i went they ahd no clue what i was talkign abbout but the second place i went there is a lady who is from canada and she knew exactly what i was talking aobut! she said that rarely has she known anyone outside of canada to stitch that way. must be an english/canadian/scot way of doing it lol. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic help! i just remembered why... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page