Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Carli
Manhattan Kansas
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  4:17:23 PM  Show Profile
Hello,
My name is Carli and I am 22 and the mother of 3. My husband and I live in Kansas and have all our lives(accept for the year we lived in Tennessee). My mother gave me an issue of Mary Janes Farm magazine recently. I instantly fell in love!!!!! I think I've read it 20 times!!! I love everything about Mary Janes magazine and website and books! It has inspiried my husband and myself to get back to the simple life ( as much as is possible in 2008) We would like to start a small farm and live out in the country. No one has faith in my husband and I. They don't think we can raise any kind of livestock eventhough both sides of our family is made up of farmers. THey don't think we can grow vegetables, or live out any of our dreams! I fell like Mary Jane has faith in me. If any one has suggestions on how to get started, please let me know!

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  4:26:29 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Carli!

Don't let the naysayers keep you from your dreams. You'll find lots of support and friendship here.

My dream is to also move to the country and have a small farm :)

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

KatyDo
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Kaye
Uintah UT
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  5:02:24 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Carli,
Diana is right, there is a lot of support here. Start small, now while you're young, build on your confidence and follow your dream.
Kaye in Utah

Follow Your Bliss
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  6:22:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carli:
Welcome to the Farm Site Connection. You will love it here. Many kind, helpful, and sweet people here. You'll get all the advice you need. Just ask away.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  6:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
carli, i am new today as well. how fortunate that you have found this passion to get back to simple so early in your lives. it's your dream, go out there and live it. as i have read the posts here, i agree with marly, just ask away, people seem to be more than open to helping. be encouraged and never give up..debbie

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all
Emily Dickenson
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  7:33:39 PM  Show Profile
welcome carli .. lots of kindred spirits here for you to connect with. xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  12:16:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Carli! Welcome to the MJ Forum! I'm 20, we're close in age! I definitely think you and your family should start a farm! What a great idea! That is what I want to do as soon as I'm done with school. I want to raise alpacas and spin there fleece into yarn. I also want chickens and such. Anyways, I'm sure you'll love it here!

Chelsey

Farmgirl Sister #283
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  12:30:07 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Carli!! Hey..if I can do what I do, I know you can too!
My advice...start with chickens and a garden...the easiest farm animals to raise for sure.
You will get so much support from the sisterhood here...these gals are awesome. I learn things every single day..and I am more than twice your age. We were all once where you are right now though...I am glad you found us..it will be fun to get to know you and to cheer all your sucesses!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  07:39:14 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Carli,

Ditto what everyone has said, start small and build up and never lose sight of your dreams! There is so much information and support here!

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  09:50:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Carli - this is definitely the place to find answers to questions. You can do anything you set your mind to and I hope you love it here!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

hodges_momma
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Carli
Manhattan Kansas
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  8:07:29 PM  Show Profile
THanks everyone. How do I find out if I am able to have chickens where I live. I am right outside our city limits, but am not sure if I am allowed to raise chickens here. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Hodges_momma
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  9:32:34 PM  Show Profile
Howdy and Welcome from SW Idaho! It's great to have ya aboard!

As far as the family, let 'em talk. The day you start bringing them the fresh vegies is the day their eyes will bug out!!

As far as the chickens, check with the zoning folks of your area. The info might also be online. Trying googling your location with the term "zoning regulations" and see what happens. That's how I found mine. If you're real close to the city limits, you might also want to check to see if you are in a future annexation area. Around here they are referred to as impact areas and once the city annexs the property, that individual's zoning situation can change.

Have fun and start small!

Buffalomary

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  06:59:22 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, you'll find lots of encouragement here, glad you joined us...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3852 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3852 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  09:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Carli, welcome from a new farmgirl from FL. Do your research and count the cost before you start your dream and then you can make it a success.
Marjean

handmade cards and jewelry at jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  12:42:38 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the farm Carli,
glad you are here.
Carol Sue

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  06:55:48 AM  Show Profile
Carli, Welcome glad your here, just wanted to say I believe in you! i look forward to hearing more about you and your adventures. Keep your chin up we can do all things thru Christ who stengthens us.
blessings, Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  07:52:50 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Carli! Glad to meet you and I hope that you find the place of your dreams. Good luck and I look forward to getting to know you.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello from Kansas! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page