Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 A few pics of some of my garden work
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic A few pics of some of my garden work Next Topic  

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  2:50:09 PM  Show Profile

This is on my front porch....old farm bucket planted with SPIKE plant that I kept alive all winter and it's HUGE this year and some volunteer white zinnias, old farm bench I painted, cat statue and a newer birdhouse and welcome sign.

This is another view with my geraniums I FINALLY planted in some nicer clay pots that my daughter gave me.

I have 2 basement windows RIGHT in front so I wanted to disguise them a little so I found 2 old planter boxes at a garage sale, painted them the dark brown of my house trim and planted a perennial vining plant that I can't remember the name but it stays green and then turns red and orange in winter. It will climb the brick but I just want it to hide the basement windows so I keep it trimmed. I planted it last fall.

This next picture is again, the front of my house. I thought I would be smart and plant strawberries in these pouches under my garage lights and they get sun all day but it hasn't worked so well. I keep them watered but between the hot sun, the bag heat, and the brick wall they don't seem to be "thriving" to say the least! I think I'll need to plant them in the ground or a raised bed but WHO KNEW!?!

This is my mailbox flowerbed that I built this Spring. We have LOTS of rocks here in Ar and my mailbox is across the street from my house so I do have to carry water over there but it's worth it. These were volunteer marigolds I transplanted from another area of my garden, the petunias are the WAVE ones, there's a Japanese Iris in the back that has yet to bloom, some Monkey grass in the back and a clemaitis that hasn't bloomed but is taking hold of the green plastic coated chicken wire I wrapped around the mail box post. I also painted the post and the box as they were pretty sad before! A guy stopped his car one day and said "You went from the ugliest mailbox in town to the prettiest"....I thanked him..I think? Oh...i have a huge compost pile from grass clippings that I fill my rasied beds with rather than buy soil. Oh...also, I had some old roofing tiles that I placed under the rocks before I built the bed so you can get a riding mower wheel on them and go around and alleviate trimming.

And finally last but definitely not least is my trustie. loyal garden helper...Serenity..."Nitty" for short. She keeps the snakes and critters away, warns me of approaching humans and has even been known to bark at big birds and planes that fly a little too low! She even barks in the car at tailgaters! What a gal!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  3:04:05 PM  Show Profile
Sandra,
Nice pictures. Hello nitty, good boy! So glad you are posting pictures. Now I can see what you are up to.Is your whole house brick?

NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  3:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Yes, it is all brick, a ranch which I don't care for but my Dad built it and it is a very well-built home. I'm more a farmhouse type gal...old homes, old furniture...old anything! Nitty is a girl by the way....I won't tell her you said that. She's REALLY friendly actually...not mean or agressive at all but I sure hope she would be if anything came up@?@
It took me all afternoon to post these but I learn more every time I do it. I'm only showing pictures of the areas I've worked on....but I may start before and afters but wait until I have the "after" before I post. You inspired me since I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed your pics! And still do!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  3:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Beautiful home and garden! Even if the strawberries aren't thriving- they sure look nifty! Maybe you could try an Ivy in those spots if you transplant the strawberries?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  5:12:52 PM  Show Profile
Great little gardens and pots, Sandra. I especially love the spike, the mailbox and Nitty. I think the vine in your window wells is Periwinkle. It has puplish-blue flowers in the spring? I have some here in the ground. It doesn't really do much for me other than fill in a garden spot that I have yet to come up with something else that will grow there (ha). But I do like the looks of it in a window box. I think I will take cuttings of mine and do that next year. I think it would look much prettier hanging from a window box than just crawling all over the ground.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  08:53:49 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful growing things, and I love your garden helper.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

juliet79
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Heather
Worland Wyoming
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  08:58:07 AM  Show Profile
Love your flowers..and I LOVE LOVE LOVE nitty! I want her!

What an amazing life!
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  2:45:18 PM  Show Profile
Sandra

Your flower are just beautiful and your home looks lovely. What a sweet dog too.

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic A few pics of some of my garden work Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page