Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  6:22:55 PM  Show Profile
I found Carla Emery's book The Encyclopedia of Country Living on a Costco trip with my mom (fabulous price something like $17 I think). My mom owned a first edition when I was very small (sadly the first edition is gone). I just started reading it tonight and I can only put it down long enough to find out if anyone else has read this book cover to cover. My mom said I should try to just read it as I need it but I'm afraid I'd miss out on some of this delicious wisdom (the book is 922 pages)! This book is the ultimate resource on EVERYTHING country. From buying your acreage to making soap to farmyard animals. Sorry if this is a repeat topic, I didn't take the time to look and see if this book has already been discussed

-------------------------
If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Keep right on 'round the bend
Though you're tired and weary
Still journey on to your happy abode
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.
-Laura Ingalls Wilder

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  6:35:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nigella - yes I have read that book cover to cover at least three times, I have checked it out from the library over and over again. I was excited to see it at Costco last week too!! It was kind of ironic that she (Carla) worked so hard and never made much money and now she has passed away here the book is at Costco!! It is worth reading straight through, much like MaryJane's books and magazines are for me
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  7:29:37 PM  Show Profile
I have had three different editions, the one chapter at a time editions which she sold at fairs in 1974, the Bantam editions from 1977, and the brand new one which I bought from Carla at an energy fair a few months before she died. I had the privledge of meeting her twice, once when she was just starting to sell her book, she was at our local fair and I had no idea who she was, but I was facinated and enthralled by this gritty, earthy woman who had the audacity to bring her kids on the road with her to sell a book that wasn't even written yet. The concept was you bought the first couple of chapters, which she had with her, then paid for the next ones and she would mail them to you when they were finished. I didn't sign up for the subscription to the book, I was very young and poor at the time, but I wanted to. I took everything she had to offer for free and read it til it was worn out. Then I saw her completed book, which Bantam picked up in a book store a few years later and bought it - it is almost worn out. There is a lot of personal, really heart warming and heart wrenching stuff mixed in with the homesteadin information in this edition. Then, when I went to the ReFair, a few years ago, she was there as Keynote speaker, and to sell her new book, which in my opinion, due to the publisher, is a very stripped down, sterile version of the original. I purchased one, had her sign it, and still cherish it, however. She was an amazing woman, and we were in the process of arranging, by phone, for her to come to our town to speak, and stay in our home, when she passed away. I have read her books cover to cover several times and I still find something new everytime I read them. She was an amazing woman and I feel very fortunate to have known her.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  7:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Wow Sherri that is so neat! Thank you for sharing that story! I'm on page 11 so far (I've been reading all evening... I'm a slow reader :) and I can certainly feel her personality coming out through the pages! I talked to my mom and she said that the original (I'm not sure if she was refering to the whole book or only part) that she had was photocopied on colored paper and bound up with leather straps. So neat, I know that she worked soo hard to get this book out, how lucky we are that she left us with all this information! I can tell that I'll be wearing mine out as the years go by....

If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
-Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  8:13:38 PM  Show Profile
I have three different editions too. I was lucky enough to have her and her second husband stay at our home two different times..once for one night and the next time for 3 nights. I hosted a couple of her talks here in town..the first one a small gathering at our home, and the next time at a clubhouse at a local campground...more people there..
she was just wonderful and humble and down to earth. I liked her so much. When she came the second time she didn't have another place to be (her next stop was I think in Colorado) for 3 more days so I invited her to stay. She was so grateful..and so relaxed. She even helped me weed my garden one day. It was so fun to get to talk to her about life (her husband spent time golfing so I got alot of one on one time with her...how awesome is that??)
I think anyone who knew her was so glad for the opportunity..such a sweet gal!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  8:53:54 PM  Show Profile
She's was really great wasn't she Jenny?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  9:45:33 PM  Show Profile
Yes...arn't we lucky to have known her? And the Bantam edition is my favorite too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  08:44:03 AM  Show Profile
I love Carla's book. I also loved her personally because she is the one who introduced me and my hubby...she had stayed with my family and spoken to a group of our friend prior to the whole Y2K thing, and then she moved to AZ and started attending the church where my hubby went...she asked him why he wasn't married and said that she could fix that. Six months later we were engaged. Now we've been married for five years and have baby number three on the way.

Leah
wife to the greatest guy in the world
Mom to Ethan, 4 yrs. old, Philip, 23 months, and our holiday baby due December 4th

www.narrowgatemorgans.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  09:03:30 AM  Show Profile
I have the 9th edition of this book. Saw it at Barnes & Noble and picked it up. I'm on page 406. I'm sorry to hear she passed away :(

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  11:37:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh my word! I have her book! Published in 1998 seventh printing of the ninth edition published by Sasquatch books in Seattle and at that time she was living in Pigeon Ford, TN. I don't have the Bantam edition...I imagine that was before this printing? Or do I have one of the more complete editions? Can someone tell me? I thought that name sounded familiar!
I think I have every book ever published about "living off the land" and being self-sufficient.....it doesn't mean I do it or am but I have all the books about it! LOL! I wish I could have met her too.....young girls need to know about women like her and Mary Jane...not just Paris Hilton...OH Please!!!! Jen Bove wrote those books about adventurous women and there are many other books out there but I think there needs to be a grassroots effort to educate these young gals about their possibilities and options in life. I know I got little or no support from anyone trying to go that route. They need to know there are other women out there that have "been there, done that" and are women who young girls can truly respect, model and look up to. There I go again....I guess I should be the change I want to see in the world....maybe I will....prepare a talk and go to schools and "spread the word"!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  11:43:35 AM  Show Profile
The Bantam edition was the 6th or 7th one printed. It has alot more personal stuff in it and her writing style is just fun to read!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  12:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Well aren't you two the lucky ones to have met her!! If I were to order a book of hers, which one do I want??
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  3:10:12 PM  Show Profile
I think, unless you find one used, the only one available now is the expanded 9th edition...tons more info than any other...less of the personal writings...well worth having though!! I have one for me and one for oldest daughter on hand. If you ever run onto a Bantam edition though...snap it up!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  3:37:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny....I'll keep a look out for that one! Yes...how neat to have met her and spent time with her. People here are SO famous or they know famous people....maybe it will rub off on me...prboably not, I'm more the "infamous" type! LOL!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  1:20:01 PM  Show Profile
When did Carla die? How sad. I didn't know that. But how fortunate that some of you were so blessed to get to know her while she was here!

I have her 9th edition copy, given to me by some VERY dear friends. I read the older copy from the library years ago, but I think I just might check it out again and see if it's the "Bantam" edition. I didn't realize that the publishers had "Monkey'd" with the text. I just hate it when they do that! A book is what it is because it's got the writer's heart and soul between those pages and it should be left alone. Anyway, I really enjoy the copy I have--- regardless. Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  2:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting this topic, Nigella as I've never heard of it and it sounds like a good one from all of the posts. I'm putting it on my Christmas wish list...hubby always buys me a nice book I've requested...can't wait! I just hope he can find it still at Costco when it comes around to his shopping time.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  4:53:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jami..it is for sure a must have book!! The newer editions have SOOOO much info! The older ones do too..but she really never stopped writing and adding to it...sort of a life's work sort of book. When she died she was doing a 10th edition -even more info..I wouldn't be without the book...just good reading. I think the later editions have less personal stuff cuz there was so much other info that there may not have been room. Personally I want the personal stuff mixed in..just made it so much better. There is tons of info even WITH that still there.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  4:54:21 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, you can find the 10th edition at Costco now for $17 or $19, can't remember, but I did find a 6th edition copy on Amazon (used of course!) for just under $20 it was the least expensive copy I could find, most were selling for around $50!

Jami, your welcome :D! It was funny I was a little embarrassed to post this I figured that everyone had heard about this book on here. Afterwards I was glad I did I'm sure there are gals out there that haven't heard about this book and it is the one book every farmgirl should own! (you know after you've bought all of MJ's books and magazines! ;)

If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
-Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  8:02:22 PM  Show Profile
Well, you've sold me on it. I do like the personal stuff mixed in as well because it makes for just a more interesting read than a flat-out manual type book. But at the same time, I just enjoy gathering new ideas. I just don't get out much to be in the know on everything so it's great to post new things (or old!) just in case some of us are the types who have our heads in the weeds of the garden most of the time or the fleece of a sheep in my case.

Now I can't wait for Christmas! Oops, I'd best quiet down...I am so not ready for Christmas in every other way.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  8:42:57 PM  Show Profile
I've been reading the 10th edition first and I can see lots of personality!! I've got the 6th edition on the way (can't wait!!) and I'm excited to read even more personality :D..... How neat to be able to leave behind so much for so many people. I can only hope that I can leave a even a LITTLE wisdom behind when I go.... I sure hope people remember me like they do Carla..... Thank you ladies and thank you Carla!!

If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
-Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  9:47:22 PM  Show Profile
Wowzer, this has been a fun topic to read....Thanx Nigella for posting it.
Now I am really curious about Carla Emery's book...just might have to go to the Library to 'check it out'.....
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Carla Emery's Country Living Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page