Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What are you Thankful for Today??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What are you Thankful for Today?? Next Topic  

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  09:20:40 AM  Show Profile
I am thankful for beautiful fall colors & leaves.
I am also thankful for warm snuggly sweaters!!

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  7:27:08 PM  Show Profile
Bayoubunch - I am thankful for your sweet card. and I am thankful that my daughter-in-laws big brother came home from Iraq today.

Whoo-hoo!

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  8:13:43 PM  Show Profile
I am thankful that our 116th national guard is starting to arrive in the states. They have been gone a long time. I have a cousin in the outfit who is mom to a small child. She has been gone a long time. We are planning a Thanksgiving homecoming party for her.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  07:32:07 AM  Show Profile
What a blessing, Bridgette, to create a place to say thanks.
Thank you God for this place. This morning I'm bouncing between the inspired laughter from across the fence to the spirited defined by Robin in sustainableing ag. This community is so rich and different, such down home goodness. We laugh together, cry together, fuss and tug at eachother, share recipes and stitch wizardry, triumphs and sorrows, hope, suffering and dreams. Lord I thank you for the diversity of MaryJane's Farm, where the doors are always open, the coffee is always hot and the goodness outweighs anything else. I thank you for friends I may never see, uplifting hands I may never hold, and communal laughter I may never hear. I thank you for your sacred spirit which has led us all here for purposes only You understand - all of us - the lost and the found, the seekers and the comfortors. For the mystery of what brought us here, we give thanks. For your tender mercy, we give thanks. For yet another opportunity to do Your will in the world as we gather in that space which is no space but is also every space, we give thanks. And for those who only read and do not yet speak, we give thanks. May their voices join this choir soon. Amen.
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  1:54:55 PM  Show Profile
I am thankful to have the last of flowers out of the garden. As long as something in in there, it tugs at me that there is work to be done.

I am so thankful for this forum. It feels like the best of friends coming together and everyone is so interesting and different. I love hearing from people all over the country.

I am thankful the the lasagna DH has planned for dinner.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  2:16:02 PM  Show Profile
The winds are calm today...and the lady bugs are Baaaaacccckkkkkk!!!!My daughters are happy and healthy and my oldest is finishing up her degree in Restraunt and Hotel management so I will be able to tottle to her hotel as a blue haired old woman and stay there for free...hopefully it will be in a warm and lovely location!
This forum and all the kick### farmgirls friends here....that Ellen ByHz Grace is safe fronm Wilma ( cept her orchids didn't fare wellMy DH is safe and staying safe...I am also thankful for glitter spray which I just discovered for holiday mailart

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  5:25:54 PM  Show Profile
I am thankful that we (my familyand I) are safe and our lives are returning to normal; That I do have a Father in heaven that takes care of me and I can rest assured in that knowledge; for nature and all the beauty that I can see and that I do have sight; there are so many but I am truly thankful that I am part of this forum where I can write a gratitude list.

Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  07:42:02 AM  Show Profile
Great topic!!
I just read an article this morning that says that people who write down the things they are grateful for every day have stronger immune systems, more happiness, and less reaction to negative events (according to Dr. Robert Emmons, author of "The Psychology of Gratitude."
Today I am thankful for my warm home, it is raining outside and it protects me. I'm also thankful that it is still morning and I have the whole day ahead of me. I'm feeling better already!!! It works!
Nancy

http://quiltedprairie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  10:44:14 AM  Show Profile
i am thankful for being thankful.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  1:10:51 PM  Show Profile
family, friends, america, goodness, dreams, life, creativity .. and oh so much more!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  4:17:32 PM  Show Profile
That I am grateful for so very much. Two years ago just before thanksgiving I was to give my 9th speech for toastmasters toward my first toastmasters pin. This is the subject matter of that speech. Thought some of you might be interested so pasted a copy of the speech here. I love my gratitude journals. They remind me.

On Gratitude

Gratitude is an appropriate subject matter for this day before we celebrate a traditional holiday set aside specifically for the purpose of being thankful.
I looked in the American Heritage Dictionary to get the definition of gratitude.
It defines gratitude this way:
Noun; The state of being grateful; thankfulness.
Now what exactly is the state of being grateful?

My dictionary helps me define grateful by telling me that it means Appreciative of benefits received; thankful.
When I break the word grateful down further into its two roots I get Grate and Full. To define the words I looked first at the word grate. I found many definitions for this word the first of which seemed to be in opposition to being thankful. It says that definition #1 is to reduce to fragments or shreds, or to powder by rubbing against an abrasive surface. Then equally confusing was definition #2 A framework of parallel or latticed bars for blocking an opening or to be used for sifting.
The second word full means containing all that is normal or possible. Complete in every particular. I especially liked this one, totally qualified, accepted or empowered.
There were other meanings to be sure but these will do for the present.
From these words I get the meaning of the word gratitude.
Gratitude: To be fully empowered by the fragmenting or shredding of my life.
HMMM?
To appreciate the benefits received by the rubbing and abrasion of every day life.

Let’s look at this concept for a moment.
When was the last time you spent a day looking for ten things that you could be truthfully thankful about at the end of the day?

I would like to take this definition a little further and define it this way. Gratefulness means that at the end of the day I will put a sieve over the glass of my day and sift over it all the events of the day,{the fragments} and allow through it only those things about which I can be thankful, all other things will fall away over the edge into the abyss of forgetfulness or forgiveness. If at the end of the day I find that more is falling off the edges than is going into the glass then I am overlooking some pretty important things, how can I be grateful if my glass of gratitude is not ful?
I recently spent two full years in a challenge with myself over this very thing. I was challenged to take ten minutes at the end of every single day and journal a minimum of ten things that I could truly be thankful about that occurred to me that day.
This exercise changed my life! I was forced to change my focus. Instead of asking the wrong questions about my day such as Why is this happening to me? Or Why doesn’t anything go right for me? I was forced to ask How did the events of today help me to move forward? How can I use the experience to enhance my life. What have I learned from this?
People, these are life changing questions. In all the fragments that make up today for me, what can I use to fill up my gratitude journal?
This is an empowering exercise which I would like to challenge each and every one of you to begin.
The statement:
Today I will look for ten things in my day about which I can be thankful!
Today I will begin to journal those ten things at the end of the day faithfully for twenty-one days.

At the end of twenty-one days I will read through my journal of gratitude. I will then journal about the changes that have occurred in my attitude as a result of this exercise. I will then begin a new twenty-one days of journaling and reflecting.
I would like to read to you from an e-mail I received this week that has some interesting input on this subject.

{read the e-mail here}
I have some tools and reading material to show you that may be useful to you as you begin this extraordinary journey.
First; you will want to get a notebook or a blank book that is specifically for the purpose of your gratitude journal. You might even want to get a specific pen that will stay with this journal.
If you use an ordinary notebook for this you will probably want to cover it with something that marks it as a special notebook and not just any old notebook to write your grocery list into.
I have brought along with me a couple of my favorite resource books as well as one of my personal journals.

Some of you may want to try this. It is wonderful fun.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What are you Thankful for Today?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page