happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  09:56:15 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I've searched for another (already have 2) part-time job because I'm simply not making enough for us to get by. I would prefer something that I can do from home around my own schedule, because that would free me up to also substitute teach if/when called because that pays really well. But since I can't count on getting called on a regular basis, I really need to do something else, too.

I don't sew very well or have any talent OR inclinations in that area, so I know that this would be a bad area for me to consider.

I've thought of home-made soaps of various kinds, but I'm not sure.

I guess what it boils down to is this: what can I do that will fit my needs:

work at home
flexible schedule
fairly easy to market to small stores or sell online
PROFITABLE -- not a huge profit, of course, and I realize it takes time to build a business

What are your suggestions, warnings, advice??

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your BeautiControl needs!

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  10:20:36 AM  Show Profile
Do you have a little seed money to start a new business? I have a friend who makes a very good living selling purses. She buys them wholesale and sells them at home parties. She works two evening a week. I know she started with a $800 investment and makes about $50,000 a year.

I always think it is better if you can work for yourself.

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  10:27:34 AM  Show Profile
You know, if it would go over in your area, selling Tupperware or one of the other home party plans is a good way to go. My sister used to sell Tupperware and I sold Princess House crystal, and as long as there are buyers, then, it is a good way to go - work as much or as little as you want. There are lots of other options, Pampered Chef, Southern Living has a product and home party line, the candles, look into something that you think your market would buy, and if you like the product, then try it out. At least talk to a dealer and see what they have to say. Good Luck!
(as far as home made soaps are concerned, I have made soap for about 10 years and have never really gone into business because there are SO MANY others out there...I have had friends to have their soap in craft shops but it's a tough row to hoe, in my opinion. )

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  10:46:49 AM  Show Profile
I appreciate both ideas. I recently became a BeautiControl consultant, because I love the products, but I haven't really done any spas or anything yet. I'm just selling to friends and family members.

I was thinking more along the lines of something I could make (around my other jobs) and sell. My nest will be empty in about 3 weeks, so I'll have lots of time at home in the evenings and on weekends when I could be making something to sell. I just don't know what.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your BeautiControl needs!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  10:54:36 AM  Show Profile
Buy up old pieces of furniture for next to nothing and paint it. Look what Lea did on her site with two 10 dollar chairs.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

thecherrychic
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Chris
Cerulean KY
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  11:03:15 AM  Show Profile
I have been selling on eBay & Etsy (eBay alot longer) and I am able to stay home and take care of my son and still make enough to pay some of the bills. I sell a wide range of stuff from collectibles and vintage linens to my son's clothes and toys he's outgrown. Some weeks are better than others but all and all it's not bad. Etsy would be great for you if you are into crafting and making things to sell.

http://thecherrychic.etsy.com

http://stores.ebay.com/My-Bag-of-Rags
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  11:17:13 AM  Show Profile
Patti:
Good luck with the job hunting. My ideas are all that have been already posted. Wish you all kinds of luck.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  11:40:21 AM  Show Profile
What about jewelry?

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  06:56:27 AM  Show Profile
Think outside the box. I have seen a few really great ideas posted on here already!
Since you are a substitute teacher have you considered doing some tutoring. As a homeschooling Mom I also know that in our area we have a learning center and often times have folks like yourself that come in and teach specific classes.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  07:25:52 AM  Show Profile
Patti,
I know that this isn't what your looking for, but, have you thought about your own cleaning biz? Cleaning a 2 or 3 houses or even better, offices a week would bring in cash right off the bat. The only reason I haven't done this yet is because I still have my kiddos at home and we homeschool so that would take time away from other responsibilites.

I am an At Home America rep and I can tell ya that I stink at direct sales. I find nowadays that people are extremely careful with what they spend their hard earned money on and rightly so.That endever didn't go over very well in my area. I am like you though, I am seriously NEEDING something that I can do in the home to earn the money. For us, it is to help with groceries and bills. Something my kids can help with would be an added bonus as I would like it to be a lesson in entrepreneurship.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  07:37:08 AM  Show Profile
Good morning america had some office/computer at home jobs they said were good. If you have fast internet no dial up and no satalite you can do it. www.alpine.com and there are others but I can't remember.

AngiKay
www.angikay.etsy.com

Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  3:04:38 PM  Show Profile
Are you good in the kitchen? I have been making cookie dough for YEARS. I sell the heck out of it. I can go to Sam's Club and buy food containers to hold bulk dough that they can scoop or I can scoop it out and freeze it right away. I sell it for about $10 for a 3lb tub. If I make something a little more "gourmet" it goes for about $13-15. All I do is include a recipe card with ingredient list and how to directions. I also do fudge. You can sell that stuff for 10-$15 a pound and all it took me was one good recipe. I wish you so much luck!

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  3:10:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh! My girlfriend is known as the "muffin Lady". She makes amazing muffins that she wraps in plastic wrap and take a huge basket of them to different offices (drs, chiro clinics, salons etc). She sells them for a buck apiece-maybe you could get 1.25 or 1.50 (I'd price them in a grocery store/bakery first). She does it every morning from 7am to 11am and then goes to work at a hosp in the afternoon/evening. She offers several varieties. That would be cool, just have to plan accordingly with the fuel prices, and your kids could help wrap them up? You could be the next Muffin Lady!

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  3:28:37 PM  Show Profile
Funny thing just happened... i'm serious! I just got a phone call from on e lady that I make cookie dough for and she asked me if I knew of anyone that would makemeals that she could freeze and thaw on busy nights of soccer and softball....hmmmm. I figure if I'm going to cook anyway, I could double a meal and freeze protions of it. Soups, stews, dessert, so many ideas floating around in this little brain of mine! Food for thought eh?? tee!hee!

www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Suggestions needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page