graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  09:57:34 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone else heard of or tried this treatment for thyroid irregularities? Someone mentioned it to me the other day saying that their doctor said that because of our altered environment (because of all the chemical influences) most of us have some degree of thyroid disfunction, although not enough to cause serious alarm. It does make you wonder what else our environment is doing to us
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Jul 27 2008 09:59:07 AM

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  10:01:07 AM  Show Profile
AmyGrace, So did the dr. mention that kelp is suppose to help? I would be interested in knowing because I suffer from thyroid issues and I am on meds. thanks.

AngiKay
www.angikay.etsy.com

Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  10:25:47 AM  Show Profile
AmyGrace:
Early this year the doctor put me on thyroid medicine. What is Kelp? Is that an herb? I'm going to check into that. I hate taking medicine. Thanks for that interesting post.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  10:33:19 AM  Show Profile
http://www.1001herbs.com/kelp/

This site seems to have some helpful information.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  11:42:51 AM  Show Profile
kelp is seaweed.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  11:52:08 AM  Show Profile
AngiKay - yes the kelp is supposed to help regulate thyroid function. It was actually the gal who cuts my hair who I was talking to and several years ago she had a period where first she lost about 60 pounds then, although she was eating according to a nutritionists instructions she gained about 140 pounds. She had been tested for thyroid and she was slightly abnormal, not enough to where they would prescribe anything. Finally her doctor recommended kelp, which helped her to stop gaining weight. I was just curious if anyone had used it in conjunction with a doctor recommendation - something I think is important. Of course there are doctors and there are doctors, some are absolutely against any sort of a non-traditional treatment. I am lucky with mine, last time we talked he said the best thing I could do would be to try yoga - this is atypical for the doctors I have dealt with. Once I was offered painkillers for a sore throat!!

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  1:20:48 PM  Show Profile
thanks amygrace, i am going to look for a yoga class in our area and look into the kelp.

AngiKay
www.angikay.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  4:44:46 PM  Show Profile
Interesting!! I have been on throid meds now..for about a month...I will check into kelp too..couldn't hurt!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  03:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i am also on thyroid meds, because i had to have my thyroid gland radiated, (aka killed). i had a goiter and graves disease. kelp is seaweed and has a high concentration of iodine.
i do know that when you take thyroid medicine you arent supposed to take vitamin supplements within about a 1-4 hour period because if they include iodine it can bind up with the medicine and negate the dose. at least that is what my doctor told me. so if you are on meds, i would check this out first.

love
frannie in texas
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  2:51:15 PM  Show Profile
see, it's good to ask questions because somebody usually has some info!!

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  2:53:08 PM  Show Profile
That totally makes sense...the iodine thing I mean...I will ask my doctor about it when I go on the 12th and see if I can get the okay. Maybe it would be something to use while on meds and maybe not, right?

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  8:48:55 PM  Show Profile
Does one have to eat this kept, or is it in a capsule? I assume all health food stores have kelp. Thanks for that idea. I'll go and get some kelp. I love this site because of information like this. I hate taking pills from the doctor.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  6:23:57 PM  Show Profile
I would like to know more about kelp and thyroid function. Does it help more if you are hypothyroid or hyperthyroid or both? I have hypothyroidism. Thanks.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  9:41:43 PM  Show Profile
I would love to know more on this too. I don't know which thyroid problem does what, but i know it makes me sleepy and i cant gain weight for anything. maybe kelp would help regulate to fix those two...hmm....jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Patty MorningRamble
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Patty
Keene TX
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  10:16:42 PM  Show Profile
I take a homeopathic with kelp in it for my thryroid and its worked wonders. My energy is back, and I don't get so sleepy in the afternoon. My heart rate is more normal...it was always in the low 50's even when walking. Lost some weight and just simply feel better. Women at menopause age often have some thyroid issues. I felt so much more energized almost right away with the thyroid support.

http://morningramble.blogspot.com/
http://morningramblegifts.com/
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  11:51:36 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i will check back to keep updated on this, as it is pretty interesting. it seems to me that if you have low functioning thyroid, and need a boost that this would be great, and any thing not to take the perscription meds, if possible.
i wish sometimes i had my old thyroid back, but thats when i forget how wacky i felt,,,and that i had a heart attack. my pulse was between 130-185, i couldnt sleep, i felt in hyper mode and scared to death.
i also think with hindsight that i wish i would have done some yoga or tai chi or meditation or something to try and help quiet everything down.
at any rate, aunt jenny when you go to the doc let me know what he says about iodine and thyroid meds, cause i could have it wrong and it was about 7-8 years ago when i was told this.

love
frannie in texas
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  06:46:44 AM  Show Profile
I'LL ASK MY 'ENDOCRINOLOGIST' ABOUT KELP ON MY NEXT VISIT. i always listen to experiences of friends .. but NEVER take anything without asking my doctor about it. i have reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeely GOOD doctors that i trust. xo

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  10:12:47 AM  Show Profile
I started to take kelp to help with detox. I take about 2 tsp. a day of the powder. I mix it with applesauce because I hate the taste. You can get it in capsule form. I bought a pound bag from Frontier brand from the health food store. Its cheaper to buy in bulk. I am still reading on the benefits of kelp and there are many. I just need to find out how long to take it because I don't want to end up with a hyperthyroid like my friend did. But she was eating a pound a week. She seems to crave it for some reason. I won't have that problem because I don't like the way it taste... she did.

Lisa was on RoseMountain herbs website and it had instructions on there not to take for more than 2 weeks at a time and then take a break. So if anyone can shed any light on how much and how long is okay I would really like to know. Thanks.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  3:00:34 PM  Show Profile
I got capsule form and take the thyroid activator and love it. I need find an herbalist and see if I may be able to take less of it though and see what they say.

AngiKay
www.angikay.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  2:34:17 PM  Show Profile
Angikay:
Is the throid activator a medicine? I doing blood test next week, again, on my thyroid. I would like to discuss this with my doctor.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  03:48:04 AM  Show Profile
So I was reading this thread and was wondering what brands everyone who uses it takes? Is it expensive and did anyone find out how much is the right amount?
Interesting thread here. would love to know more.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  06:36:17 AM  Show Profile
I use Frontier's brand. I buy it it bulk for about $10.00 a pound. Its suppose to be really good kelp. I have stopped taking the 2 tsp. a day and now only take 1 tsp. a day. I take the weekends off. I am not sure of the right amount but a lady that works at the health food store recomended 2 tsp. a month for detox and then to cut back to 1 tsp.
Wish I could help you out on the right amount but not sure on that one. I hope I am not taking to much.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  9:08:38 PM  Show Profile
Be careful ladies. I have had graves disease and if you have a condition where your thyroid level tends to become elevated kelp may be dangerous. An endocrinologist and also an internal medicine doctor told me the iodine can stimulate the thyroid which could be a problem for some people. Since your thyroid affects so many systems in your body don't take kelp without talking to your dr. first. Low thyroid symptoms are not fun but surprisingly high thyroid symptoms can be just as awful. Best Wishes

barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  6:27:27 PM  Show Profile
Oops, I didn't want to put a stop to this topic. Just didn't want anyone to have troubles in the wrong direction. I'm sure kelp is fine for most people.

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Kelp and thyroid function Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page