janjones
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jan
Spokane Valley WA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  1:12:28 PM  Show Profile
We had the grandkids (3 girls ages 6,9, & 12) for a few days and I had all our activities planned because of MJ's Outpost book & the old classic "Secret Gardens". You see, I have been concerned about the girls getting enough time to dream, plan, get dirty a bit, & let their imaginations soar in this electronic & scheduled world we live in. (Was that a LONG sentence??) So Grandpa & I decided to give each of the girls a section of our backyard for their own secret gardens. Each garden will have a path coming from the big tree & they can then "disappear" into their selected area.
The girls took off with excited ideas. It meant brousing through several Better Homes & Gardens magazines, looking things up on the internet for zones & compatability, sketching out ideas, measuring areas, and going to Manito Park to check out professional gardens.
Then we made lanterns similar to the ones on pg 42 to hang in the big tree. Each one decorated her own & are as different as can be.

The girls have gone home to Connell, WA but are emailing me suggestions & eagerly planning their next trip up to work on their gardens. Grandpa & I have enlisted 2 young couples to help run a sod cutter to move grass out of the way & will be putting up a fence for a backdrop.

Thanks MJ for the wonderful ideas and a way to help the girls experience "my basics" for a time. They will always know that there is a spot where they can sit back & dream.

Jan J, Cancer Nurse

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  1:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jan- That is amazing! What a wonderful thing to do for them! I can just imagine it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  3:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Jan, This is really great! I wish that my grandparents let me do that when I was a little girl! Although I was allowed to play in their own gardens and I had a ton of fun and used my imagination to the fullest there, it is great that your grandchildren actually get to be a part of their very own garden. This will for sure connect them more with nature! I am excite for you and the little girls! Have a great time!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  2:37:01 PM  Show Profile
Jan,
We need pics of this great thing you have done!...Do you give tours...as I see you are close to me, I am in Post Falls?
I would love to do something similar for my grand-darlings! We have a batch of logs we rescued from a cabin that was being torn down...wish we had gotten more, they just burned up what was left, so sad. But hubby was tired and we got an many as we could move and store. They were all mixed in with boards with nails and trash. We want to make a tree fort from logs...but it would be neat to have them be in a secret garden area. I wish I had taken pics of the big stash of logs. This was before digital photography. In those days I was moe careful about what I took pics of...now I can shoot anything and everything.
This has really gotten me to thinkin'!

http://homesteadmercantile.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  08:22:28 AM  Show Profile
My favorite book, The Secret Garden. What fun it would be to discover a secret garden. What a great thing for your grandkids. I may do that with my "great" grandkids. Of course we were raised in a different century, but when I was 12, I had my own garden. It wasn't a secret, it was my 4-H project.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  09:46:02 AM  Show Profile
What a lovely idea, I know my childhood was enriched by secret treehouses, special spots in the woods, your grandchldren will remember these things forever and give them to their children. The one thing I really loved about our house when the kids were little was our yard. There were fifteen acres of various types of trees, yard, etc. The world is suck a lovely kids, especially if you are right there in Mother Nature's garden...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  10:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
what an awesome idea for you and your grandkids! i hope you post picstures of the progress!! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Linda
MA
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  10:37:44 AM  Show Profile
Jan, you have created a wonderful memory maker for your granddaughters. An idea from the beloved late author and children's book illustrator, Tasha Tudor, you may want to use. Tasha created a magic garden for her children by leaving tiny, handwritten (and illustrated) notes in hiding places only each child knew the location of. The children would write simple letters, make drawings or place something as a rock, flower or inspired treasure in the hiding place. Would love to see posted pictures of your garden.

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
Farm Girl #300

Kansas to Massachusetts
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  10:27:39 AM  Show Profile
Those are some lucky little girls! I'd put wind chimes all over. If any of the girls are into music, they'd love that. Each wind chime usually has different rhythms. They could even take part in making the wind chimes. I'd love to see pictures of the garden.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  10:02:12 AM  Show Profile
oh how precious!!!!! we truly do need to see photos!!!! hope you make a wonderful 'scrapbook' for each of them of this delightful time in their life! xo

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  11:51:12 AM  Show Profile
Love this idea -- and also the suggestions for including a hiding place for notes and including windchimes as well. The world is indeed magical, and we need to keep the wonder of childhood in our children/grands/and ourselves.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  3:09:41 PM  Show Profile
Jan what a wonderful thing to do! I recently had to almost beg my son - 6 to play in the dirt with me..I am working on it.
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Secret Gardens/Lanterns Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page