Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Rene....? Anybody, perhaps....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Rene....? Anybody, perhaps.... Next Topic  

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  09:49:39 AM  Show Profile
Rene, specifically...do you know anything about Walla Walla's gangs?? What their style of crime is like...???

Or anybody else...how would you deal with a gang threat?? Precautions?? Safety??

I grew up near Tacoma, WA...Gang central. But never have I crossed a gang member in my life...until last night. And I have been threatened...

My neighbor lady called me in tears early yesterday evening...domestic violence situation, and she was afraid to go home, so I met her for dinner. Short story, her husband followed me on a whim when I left to meet her, found out I was """""sheltering""""(??) her, and made threats to both her and I that we should "look out", and specifically stated that I should be careful for siding with her. No big deal. I can deal with a ticked off guy. I'm an Idaho hick chick -- retarded people don't scare me. But....

He started talking about getting his 19 year old son involved and 'on his side'. His son is a druggie, and a member of Walla Walla's worst gang, and he's always "running around with his 'friends'". Come to find out, another gang member lives just down the road from here, and is always in and out of jail.

Hmm...bigger deal. One person, even two, fine. They want to sabatoge my property out of spite, I can live with that. Heaven forbid, if they entered the house, I can defend myself. I could handle it.

But I cannot, and have no desire, to become a target of Walla Walla's worst gang.

My neighbor lady was in tears after she realized the danger she'd put me in. She's packing up and moving out. Which is great for her. But leaves me with a majorly ticked neighbor threatening to get his son and his son's gang to issue revenge on me.

So my bf is telling me to move. I am not THAT intimidated. They are NOT going to interrupt my life. I don't want to move. I like my house. I MAY consider a restraining order. But I don't know yet...

Either way, I'm headed back to Idaho for the weekend while neighbor tempers cool. And so I can clear my head and decide what to do...

Advice, prayers, etc, would be great.

I don't know what kind of "revenge" Walla Walla's "worst" gang might deal. At this point, I'd rejoice if I found out they were just gonna break windows in my car, spray paint, whatever. I'm seriously worried about my life...... I KNOW gangs don't hesitate to kill people they don't like. Drive by shootings...rapes...stabbings....that's real gang stuff. They're made up of a bunch of high, stupid kids, and I don't care to become a victim of their stupidity....

*sigh* Drama drama...what, I've been here maybe two and half weeks??? Hmm....

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:35:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jodi-

Sweetie, the first thing I would suggest is go down to your local police precinct and report the situation. Sometimes the police need a record of threats to really get involved or to take things to the next level. They will also be able to advise you on what precautions to take, send out extra patrols, and let you know what you can/can't expect from the gang and the police.

Second piece of advice. Buy some pepper spray. Get some that hangs on your keys, and keep a can in your purse as well. If pepper spray scares you, get something that doesn't.

Third, I would adopt a dog. A big dog. A dog that looks scary, barks when people are around. Most people that are in that situation will back off if it looks like they might come to personal harm.

Fourth- Let you landlady know the situation. If the property gets vandalized she probably would appreciate a heads up.

Hopefully all this is just a bunch of hot wind. Hopefully it will blow over and things will calm down for you. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:38:32 AM  Show Profile
I would go to the the police sheriff what ever. Make it know that you are a target so that they can be aware of the situation.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Yes, what she said (above).... !!!!!!!!! And I would definitely go for the restraining order if things don't calm down from all this ...
Get the dog, the pepper spray, alarm system???

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:42:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure about the police department, Alee...it turns out the man that made the threats has several friends working as cops. So I hesitate to do that, because the last thing I want is for it to get back to him that I ratted on him, that kind of thing. That would add fuel to the fire, the way I see it.

I would adopt a dog in a heart beat. My first thought last night. I can't keep dogs at this rental, though.

But the pepper spray idea is great, that hadn't even occurred to me... and I'll be calling my landlady.

I haven't slept in 24 hours, lol, between my poor neighbor lady and her drama, and just not being able to sleep thinking about this...everything will probably look much better once I get a decent night's rest.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  11:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jodi- Go to the cops, call the police chief if you need to. Let him know your concerns, especially about being concerned about information leaking back. Do you know which one of the police are his friends? And how did you find out who is police friends are? I am just concerned because you need the paper trail of a police report to protect you and support you if you ever take this to court.

*hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  12:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jodi,
I 100000% agree with Alee, get it on file that there is an issue. My experience is that bullies are bullies and I dont know of or ever heard of "Walla Walla's worst gang"... but having said that...YUCK!, But I certainly would let the police station know and would ask them to watch out for you for a while. I would also let your landlords know... they will have some info too I am sure. If there is a local church, or community center - enlist them as well.

Jodi, go see my mom... share with her, she has great resources in the community and will offer some insight I am sure of it...

Call me~ I am coming through Monday.... maybe I can be a shoulder.....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  12:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Jodi:
I would report this to the police. You should write down everything that has been going on. Let as many people as you can know about this. Are you a registered gun holder? I certainly would be, and am. I will keep you in my daily prayers. Prayers are super powerful, so you, too, should start praying. What does "Walla Walla" mean, if anything? Keep us posted on the matter. Have a great away trip.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  12:27:34 PM  Show Profile
So sorry you are going through this just by helping someone out! But, hopefully it will make you feel better to realize that he is probably just making a threat because he is mad. A lot of people make empty threats to try to get their way and scare someone into doing something but it is usually just an empty threat. I'm not saying you shouldn't be careful and shouldn't contact the police but try to remind yourself that he was probably just blowing off steam. Secondly, from what I have read about gangs, most do not bother you unless you are directly involved in something they are. Meaning, I doubt that they would go to so much trouble as to hassle or hurt the friend of the mother of one of their gang members.
Just to be safe, I would take some procautions and maybe speak to the cheif of police.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  12:48:32 PM  Show Profile
Mmk... couple things:

1) My mum called out of the blue and told me her sixth sense was going berserk last night, so she will be driving back here with me to spend a few days while I get things straightened out...whether that be with the...

2) Cops. Restraining order. What-have-you. So I am going to start writing down all that happened, the threats, etc.

3) Marly...I am a college student...under the age of 21. I cannot register as a gunholder, get a concealed weapon permit, nada. However, as I mentioned before...I am an Idaho hick chick at heart, and I DO have means of defending myself in that area. But only while I am at home. In Idaho, I could carry as long as it wasn't concealed. Here in Washington, I can't carry too much in the area of weapons once I leave the house -- concealed or not. So Alee's pepper spray idea REALLY appeals to me.

4) Rene...this isn't the first I've heard about the HUGE gang/drug issue in Walla Walla. Heard a bit about it earlier this week, so asked a coworker for some info...think I jinxed myself. You have NO idea how much I appreciate you offering to let me call you, and even telling me to go down and talk to your mom. I may do both, depends on how my schedule looks now that my mum will be in town. She has a tendency to take over plans....

Sooo.... *takes deep breath* I really hope y'all are right about them not wasting their time on me, and about him just blowing off steam. HE doesn't bother me in the least...I can deal with one or two ticked off people. I just DO NOT want to deal with gangs. Period. The prayers and thoughts mean SO much, and it helps to have some direction. :)

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  2:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Jodi~

Since you are a student, check into any self defense classes the school might offer. I know our local college offers one once a month. Best defense is a good offense, so if you prepare in all the ways you can now, then if they do follow thru, at least you'll be ready.

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  5:27:56 PM  Show Profile
Jodi, please be carefully. Sounds awfully scary to me. I agree with some of the others, tell as many people as you can about the situation. Also, try not to be alone. Since you are a student, maybe you could stay on campus for a while. I know you don't want to be "run out of your home", but your life is at stake.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  6:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Jodi,
I will email you some contact numbers for family members... You can call me if something happens and I can have someone over there ASAP!

Do go to the poice and get them watching - then take notes of everything... I would prefer you are more Proactive then reactive (right?).. we can all guess what this guys is like, but since non of us know for sure be smart and let the professionals decide....

I hate this for you.. My family has been in WW for 100 years (literally) and have never had any issues... So this is so unsettling.....But safe~ before sorry.. sweetie.. err on the side of your saftey....You have my number don't be afraid to use it!

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  12:32:27 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I knew if I drove the five hours back to Boise, I'd be able to leave the drama in Walla Walla (at least to a degree), and come up with some halfway rational thoughts. I was feeling much better by the time I reached Idaho (sad I had to leave the state, I know...but I like the pretty drive ). Here's what I've decided so far (or ideas, I guess, tell me what you think):

1) I DO go to the cops, regardless of rumor this guy has friends amongst them. Because even if they won't keep an eye out (which they probably will), at least should anything ever happen, there is some sort of record -- they will know what has been going on (aka, they'll know who dunnit ).

2) I am going to contact my landlady first thing Monday. Not only am I going to give her the heads up on this, but I'm going to tell her this (short version LOL): I don't want to leave the house, I like it. She doesn't want me to break the lease contract, she needs that (I don't want to break it--my credit/rental history is on the line!)... If I give in to the bullying and move, we both loose. SO if I stay at this house...I will need her to a) install a security system, or b) re-write the lease agreement so I can have a dog. SOMETHING so I can sleep at night, and the level of paranoia can drop to at least a HEALTHY level (cut out the overactive imagination part). If she can come up with another idea that works, great. But I want something security-wise so I don't do the whole 'sit up with the shotgun listening to every crick in the floor all night' thing.

And, this might be a bit much, but motion-sensored lights all around the house. They wanna get in a window in the middle of the night? The whole neighborhood is going to see it happen. And I'll see my target when I fire off the shotgun loaded with rock salt. *snickers*

Think that's fair of me to ask (I guess practically demand) her?

3) Talk to the police about the restraining order. See what they recommend, and go with that.

So this puts me at the point of prevention, safety, and people knowing what's going on.

That's plan A. I've got plan B worked out, too.

Includes:

The pepper spray. A key chain alarm. Self defense classes (sounds fun, anyway... I'm going to be the next KUNG FU PANDA! Y'all just watch! LOL). At home, the handgun (maybe a bit extreme for a bit of you...my mum doesn't like it...but better than being raped, stabbed or killed, no?).

I doubt it will come to plan B, but he did threaten. If he intends to follow through, I'm ready. That simple. But plan A should do nicely.

Oh, and start watching for a new soap opera based on my life...should be released anytime... *sigh*

Rene, I was just totally in the wrong place at the wrong time...all it amounts to, I think. One of those chance things that leave you wondering how exactly it happened. I was most definitely not expecting anything like this when I thought of my new life in WW!! But I'll call you if need be. Thanks......

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  12:35:13 AM  Show Profile
Lol, you can tell I was pondering the ideas and comments you've all posted...it pretty much sums them up, I think.

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  05:46:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jodi-

I think that all sounds great. You should feel safe in your own bed. I am so glad you are going to report this to the police.

Be forewarned that he might respond in two ways once you get back. He might think he chased you off so he might be nasty again or he might have cooled off and just ignore you. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  09:25:52 AM  Show Profile
Jodi In reading all of this.. i don't think i caught at all if the Woman was the MOTHEr of the Young man involved in the Gang.. Or just the Wife.. ie.. Step mother.. or what ever.. of the Boy..?
I think This really may even make a Huge Diference in alot of how this all plays out..

If it's his Mother.. & she's been in an abussive relationaship & has finally left.. The Son.. although may CARE about his Father.. may be FINALLY Glad she made the move to get out of Dodge herself!
So he may listen to his Fathers Rantings..
& then just blow him off..
The Father too.. May just be a Blow hard..
Throwing around the fact that his Son IS involved in a Gang..
He obviously isn't much of anything himself.. if he's had to threaten you with OTHER People.. Gangs or otherwise..

We have Alot of gangs here in Florida too..
& I've known several 1st hand..
You just never really know what will set someone off.. But rationally speaking.. trying to get even with someone for comforting someone else's fathers wife while they left that abbusive person.. Isn't High on their getting even list..
I would actually even expect to see something like this turn around & bite him In the rear if this turned out to be the boys REAL mother..

Would actualy & HAVE!
So..
Then..
If it's NOT His Mother.. just a Step Mother.. or a Fathers Girl Friend.. What ever the relationship..
Could still not mean anything much to him again..
He may just still blow it all off.. OR may be glad she's gone..
Regardless.. there are alot of maybe's & if's involved..

Always better to be safe then Sorry..
Police are the key I think.. Self protection & preservation Is # one!

& TRY to not worry..

Sounds like you have alot of great support & resources there..
Your In great hands Little sister...
Be safe..

Sorry to ramble on.. i think You get the Gist of what I'm saying though..

Kathie..
Farm Girl Sister #29

"In a World Where You Can Be Anything, Be Yourself.."

www.nitegardener.blogspot.com

www.NitegardenerLite.blogspot.com

http://www.nitegardener.etsy.com/

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  10:27:13 AM  Show Profile
Kathie, I'm afraid it's not her son (it's his child), and the son hates her. The son has vandalized HER stuff before after his FATHER got angry. Just a very dysfunctional family, and after what I've heard, I am kinda thinking this son will respond like his father. Whether or not he'll get his gang friends involved is more iffy, but I think I WILL have to deal with him being just like his father.

But I'm really getting past the worried stage. It's like now, either everything will calm down, or if he acts out, well bring it on. I'm not going to be anxious about something that may or may not happen. Ready to get on with my life...

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  09:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jodi,
How is it going?

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  9:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh, everything has been okay so far. Just kind of accepting their drama as routine, and continuing to hope that his son and friends don't decide to pick me for their random garbage.

I'm missing being on here, it's been a crazy busy last couple of weeks! :-/ August is always busy, though...things should wind down soon. :)

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  9:50:38 PM  Show Profile
Jodi,
My dh works in WW as a school principal and interacts with the PD routinely. Most of the people claiming to be gangsters in that area are just wantabees. Although, there are a few "real" gang members, most just try to mimic what their concept of gang members ought to be. I agree with everyone here in that you need to report the threats. Its not a sign of weakness or being afraid. It'll allow the PD to do more routine drive bys in your neighborhood. Who's to say that they don't have multiple complaints against this guy and maybe they could use your information to build a case against scum like this. Best of luck to you and don't be the tough quiet hero on this one. Be the informed, out spoken one who they know to leave alone in the future!!! Do you have a neighborhood watch in your area? If not, you could easily alert your neigbors and all of you could be more aware of your immediate surroundings. In my rural area, we use the internet/email to alert each other of suspicious vehicles or if there are any happenings that we should be aware of in our area. Very very useful and word has gotten back to the Hermiston area and Milton-Freewater area that we're not a neighborhood you want to go into if you have less than honorable intentions. Good luck!!!!

Happy Farmgirl Sister #306!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  09:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Glad to hear things are at least staying stable. I think if they haven't done anything negative yet, they probably won't. *hugs*

I am so glad you posted an update- I was thinking about you the other day and worrying because we hadn't heard from you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  10:52:37 AM  Show Profile
Gangs are nothing to screw around with. You may think you are a tough country chick, but, the type of violence they dish out you would be no match for. You have no chance to defend yourself. Drive by shootings are their specialty, how can you stop that? And if even a couple of big guys come after you forget it, what could you do to stop them? I am no coward believe me. But, if this guy gets them involved I would just call it a life lesson and move on. Hopefully you can get out and they won't give you any trouble. What kind of a life is it going to be for you looking over your shoulder for God only knows how long? Not sleeping well,etc. Maybe he was just shooting his mouth off to scare you and won't do anything and all will be ok.
You can file police reports and get it on record,which would be a good idea. But, unless they actually do something, it is pretty hard to get anything done. Even an order of restraint, you have to have proof who is doing the threats. Helping someone was a wonderful thing to do, you should be proud of yourself. You just have to be careful not to put yourself in danger. I hope this works out for you.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  7:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jodi,
Great to hear from you. If your like me, drama is so "no fun".. and adjsuting to other peoples can be daunting at best some times. But I am glad to hear that youre holding your own.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Rene....? Anybody, perhaps.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page