Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 How do I paint my laundry room????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic How do I paint my laundry room???? Next Topic  

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  3:15:28 PM  Show Profile
I have a laundry room I want to decorate/paint etc but I have 2 frontloaders on pedestals that I cannot move and I was wondering how you gals manage to paint rooms where you can't move things OR how DO you move them? I live alone and also the frontloaders if moved have to be like "re-calibrated" or something they told me when I called and asked the appliance people. Am I going to have to paint around them or call professionals in? Has anyone run into this situation? Please let me know if you have and how you worked around it.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  3:42:20 PM  Show Profile
This may make you gasp, but when I bought my house,it was used and the walls needed painting. The person who live there beofre me had rather large furniture. He painted around the pieces. He also had mirrors on the wall, didnt take them down and painted around them as well. (the house was built in the 70's when mirrors were the rage) Unfortunalty the paint dripped behind the mirrors and dried and so goes the rest of my story about renovating my house. Nothing, including painting a simple wall, in this house has been easy.......

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  4:17:58 PM  Show Profile
*gasp* I would leave 'em. No one will check back there, anyway. Unless you move, and then, who cares? They already bought it, bare patches and all. :)

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  6:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Kim that is so funny! I hope it makes you laugh, even though it means extra work for you and I'm sorry for that part. People are so funny!

Sandra, can you get help to move them? If you can't move them, maybe the best you can do is drape and tape your appliances and go for it, keeping in mind that some day when you or someone else does move them, re-painting will be in order.

Here's a way-out idea: what if you found some fabric you really like, hang some rods behind the appliances, and make some curtains to hang on the wall behind them, covering up the difficult part of the wall? If you wanted to do a laundry theme, think clothesline and clothespins, hang some cute vintage linens? If you don't paint the area, what other way can you make it pretty and cover the wall? Can you get some room dividers/make a room divider and cute it up with pictures, paint, left socks, random change, extra keys, jewelery, whatever, and set it behind? Hope this gets you thinking about what solution will make you smile most.

I didn't move mine, and I purposely don't look back there (it isn't pretty...the walls there are black (yes, BLACK), the rest of the room is in yellow and blue pastels. I did hang a great big picture on a side wall to draw attention away from the machines. Though I might try the linen thing, now that I think about it.

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Jul 23 2008 6:08:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  05:21:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh you gals are TOO FUNNY!!! And yes...it did make me laugh! After I posted this topic though..I realized that I need to replace the floor in there too and it is attached to the kitchen floor...all one big piece of linoleum that is coming up in places and so I guess I have "solved"???? my own problem or gotten myself in deeper! So, when I replace the floor..when I have the money the frontloaders will have to be moved out and hopefully the floor people will do that? I wanted to lay my own floor and I stil may but then I guess I will have to hire movers to move the machines to the garage until I can get it all done....I may be going to the laundromat for a LONG, LONG time! LOL!
Michele, your ideas are GREAT!!! I think that would stil be a darn cute idea even if I do manage to get it painted "back there"!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  08:37:11 AM  Show Profile
oh chile' .. i can't be very helpful .. had ours painted yesterday .. ha! hired someone to do it! of course, all they had to do was nudge the waster and dryer away from the wall ... the hot water heater in there .. well, i think they just crawled and reached.

oh yes! when we do one project .. it seems to lead to another one. (like NOW .. i MUST have these wood floors re-painted. they look SOOO SHABBY!) good luck honeydoo!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  08:38:32 AM  Show Profile
michelle .. i kinda' did your suggestion in reverse. i don't like looking at the 'water heater' .. or laundry products .. sooo .. i hung a folk-art fabric shower curtain in FRONT of them!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  08:51:52 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, that sounds like fun. :)
Sandra, I'm so sorry a fairly simple project has turned into so much work. It will be satisfying once it is done, I'm sure. Gives you time to think of all sorts of creative ways to decorate your space. You'll have to share pictures once you finish. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  10:36:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh! Frannie..I never thought...I have the water softner in there too! I think I'll be like Scarlet O'hara and think about this tomorrow! LOL! I love the curtain idea too! I'm actually thinking that the best idea of all is to HIRE SOMEONE to do it ALL! Ha! Ha! The more I think about it the more it seems like it might just be worth it! I'm going to take before and after pics and also I'm working on learning how to upload pics here on the boards and maybe even a blog since I love so many of your blogs. thanks all of you...I'll keep you updated but I may have to put this one on hold for awhile until my budget recovers from my trip up north.

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  7:05:01 PM  Show Profile
I painted the laundry room in my old house. I just pushed the washer & dryer out as far as I could, then hung upside down off of each one & painted behind it. The laundry sink was a bigger challenge since it wouldn't budge. I just used a small brush & got as far behind it as possible. The room looked much brighter & cleaner when I was done & the paint police didn't come after me for not disconnecting everything & taking it out before I painted!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  06:45:19 AM  Show Profile
You're so right Dawn! I can't wait to slap some paint on this house! I still have outside painting to do...I started that last summer and didn't get done before it got too cold to paint and now it's too hot and wet out. Those frontloaders will not budge but i think I could get a roller on an extension handle back there. There's so much to do here and when I look around i sometimes get overwhelmed with it all. But slowly but surely it will all get done. I have to watch the budget too..paint is cheap...the flooring...not so much! Thank you for all your ideas....you guys are so encouraging!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  07:46:48 AM  Show Profile
Your're good Dawn. As long as the paint police don't catch you, anything goes.....

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  11:07:10 AM  Show Profile
We are working on an old house and I have resigned myself to the fact that it will be years before it is done. Now if you want to brighten up your laundry room, just go for it. I would not want the type of people around who would look behind my washer and dryer. Being by yourself, do what makes you happy. I would paint what I could reach and to heck with the rest, life is to short to worry over the small stuff. To be sure in a perfect world we could make everything nicey nice. The money you spent on haveing things moved could be spent on another project. Best to you, Barbara

http://theclarkhomestead.blogspot.com/

http://Duchess56051.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  08:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Hi, Sandra, you can get roller covers that are thin, like about 1 inch thick and about 5-6" wide with a little handle that you can add a pole to that will reach all the way down behind the appliances. They are great behind toilets and other objects up against the wall. Professional painters some times have to leave unpainted spaces behind appliances also. Have fun with the changes!

Find your joy and live it.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  09:05:25 AM  Show Profile
Karen Thank you! That't a great idea! I could fit that size back there I know and also behind the water softner! You gals are AWESOME!!!!!
Thanks again!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  06:24:09 AM  Show Profile
Yup, I need to do that too, among MANY other projects YIKES!
I will leave the wall behind the washer and dryer like it is! No-one is goonna look behind them anyways ;)
And then I will paint the walls a sage blue ( I know it is sage green but mine looks like sage blue LOL) The same color I have in my kitchen and hallway. I love that color, it will brighten the laundry room/shed.

Yup my laundry room is in the shed, hehe. BUT that is oké, because it is attached to the house, so no outdoor walking with my laundry baskets LOL!!

Good luck with your painting projects y'all!!

hugs.

(Only Elvis is a black kitten :) )

http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  06:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Michelle, I love the idea of putting "curtains" behind the washer/dryer! I don't have a room - just a little area - and although it needs painting, it's pretty far down on the list. The hose for the washer drain shows and I never really thought about hiding it. Just figured it was a given. There are cabinets above the washer/dryer and putting a curtain underneath would hide the drain AND brighten up the area - always a good thing.

Dutchy - love the "y'all!"

God bless -
Karen

Farmgirl Sister #??? (to be filled in after I get my badge)
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  08:45:02 AM  Show Profile
Well...my laundry room is STILL not painted...will have to wait until winter now! I was going to do it because it was 100 some degrees or more outside but now it has cooled and the garden stuff needs to be canned and then there's the fair and so it goes! But after I can today I am hoping to get some outside painting done that I had to stop last fall because it got too cold and then Spring was getting the garden in and then VOILA it was too HOT to paint....I run around from project to project and now it is just great for painting outside but I have to can up the produce...LOL! I feel like a hamster on one of those wheels somedays! But I am subscribed tio this post so I will revisit when it comes time to do the laundry room!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic How do I paint my laundry room???? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page