deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  3:13:08 PM  Show Profile
Is there a natural way to alleiviate sinus pain & pressure? I've been down for 3 days with this yuck and I'm seriously contemplating loppin' my head off, shaking out the junk and fastening it back on...HELP!

harvest thyme farm & market web site coming soon

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  4:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Have you tried a Neti Pot? They are these amazing devices that you mix a mild saline solution into. You then turn your head in a certain way and let the water wash out your lower sinus channels and out the other nostril. I was very skeptical at first but was converted the first time I tried it! No water up the nose feeling which is what I feared. Also go stand in a really warm shower and breathe in as much steam as possible. The congestion absorbs a lot of water and can get sticky so breathing steam can un-stick a lot of that for you.

My final advice would be to go down to your health food/herbal shop and get some liquid drops that have Elderberry, Echinacea, and Golden Seal in it. I got a summer sinus infection and these drops were amazing!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  4:28:51 PM  Show Profile
ALSO IF YOU BOIL SOME WATER, MAKE A TENT OVER THE POT WITH A TOWEL AND STEAM YOUR HEAD AOFF AND ON FOR A FEW MINUTES THAT USUALLY HELPS A BIT, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A SLICE OR TWO OF FRESH GINGER OR A LITTLE PLOP OF VAPO RUB. I HAVE SPENT ALMOST EVERY MORNING OF THE LAST THIRTY YEARS AT MY KITCHEN TABLE STEAMING MY HEAD, AND I WOULD HAVE GONE NUTS OTHERWISE. THAT DOESN'T SPEAK VERY WELL FOR THE TREATMENT BUT I HAVE HAD A CHRONIC SINUS INFECTION FOREVER. THE OTHER THING THAT IS REALLY HELPFUL IS THE HOMEOPATHIC REMEDY, KALI BICHROMICUM. GOOD LUCK~

KARIN

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  5:50:01 PM  Show Profile
I second the neti pot!!!!! Haven't had an allergy problem since I started using mine. Karin you should try the neti pot too.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  6:42:09 PM  Show Profile
tanx. i'm speaking in 'duffed up mode. I'm going to buy a neti pot asap. I have heard of them. You girls are so kind. I also just read about colloidal silver....any feedback on that? I'm willing to try anything....I am soooo sick.

Go to Top of Page

Bird
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Lorrie
Ligonier Pa
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  04:36:47 AM  Show Profile
I was going to buy one of those neti-pots and they were a bit costly, sooooo I started looking around my local Wal-Mart and found a pink straw cup for children, one with the straw attatched from the bottom, and it was only 1.98. I brought it home and trimmed up the straw a bit and tried it. WOW! Much cheaper and still works great.I made my own mild saline solution too.

Your mind becomes what you feed it.
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  06:44:05 AM  Show Profile
The ceramic Neti pots can be a bit spendy, but there's plastic ones also available at most large pharmacies, for much less. I use one for travel. Ask them about sinus irrigation.

There's also packs of squeeze saline for sinus irrigation as well.

Good luck!

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Tips blog: http://allingoodhealth.blogspot.com
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter: www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/default.asp?CAT_ID=46
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  06:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Colloidal Silver is an antibacterial and it penetrates the skin layers quickly. Western Medicine uses it in a burn cream called Silvadene because the silver carries the other medicines down into the burn. Just be careful. Some people's bodies react poorly to the silver. Some people's body actually bond the silver on a cellular level and their soft tissues turn a silver/blue/grey. Usually this takes a long time and lots of silver buildup though.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  2:10:24 PM  Show Profile
well I couldnt find the silver anywhere. But I did get a neti pot...a little too late though, I ended up in ER last night! UGH! Better now, but groggy....thanks for all of your wonderful suggestions, as soon as I'm over being "loopy" I'm getting the neti ready!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  3:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh no, Dawn! Do you get sinus infections regularly?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  7:23:41 PM  Show Profile
Yikes Dawn! Hope you feel better, soon!

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Tips blog: http://allingoodhealth.blogspot.com
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter: www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/default.asp?CAT_ID=46
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  09:00:24 AM  Show Profile
Wow. As much as I hate using medicine, sometimes drugs are a god-send.... I feel sooooo much better! I used my net pot today! That was.... interesting! NOt the most graceful thing to do! Yes, I get sinus regularly. I havent blown my nose in years. So this neti thingie will be wonderful. Wish I had done it sooner!

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  09:01:29 AM  Show Profile
net pot? what is THAT? I meant neti...duh.

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl Severeide
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  09:43:08 AM  Show Profile
Sinus problems can become serious if let go to long, secondary infections can occur. If they presist I would consult a Dr. I have had a few in my lifetime .. associated with hayfever... I apply hot washcloths to my face and drink a cup of hot tea, or coffee... Good luck.

Life situations and circumstances change quickly, often without notice... Take each challenge with a positive attitude.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Sinus Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page