Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Growing Seasons a 100 years ago
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Growing Seasons a 100 years ago Next Topic  

cspratt
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Carolyn
Kankakee IL
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  06:20:03 AM  Show Profile
A brand new addition is a 1-minute video we made over the weekend of blacksmithing. It can be found in the Audio section. The name is Percussion Forge...you might want to turn down the volume a bit, it's lively music.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Many thanks to MaryJane for selecting Growing Seasons as the book she read for a United Way Success by 6® television spot and for writing about this nation-wide effort to improve school readiness in MARYJANE'S OUTPOST, "...encouraging parents to read to their children." p. 65.

Growing Seasons is a children's picture book of early 1900s farm memories, recalled by my mother, and published by G. P. Putnam's Sons, New York.

Based on the book, my husband and I have created an educational website about farm life a hundred years ago:

http://www.growingseasons.com

The website has had visitors from more than 100 countries.

MaryJane's public service television spot is also on the website:

http://www.growingseasons.com/Growing_Seasons/Biod,_Comments_Honors_%26_Reviews.html

A traveling exhibit, consisting of the original paintings from the book, over thirty pen and ink drawings and a number of vintage farm items, is now touring the United States. Last fall, the exhibit was in the Kansas City area for three months, spent six months earlier this year in Boulder and will be in High Point for six months starting in September.

We love to hear from visitors to the website and those who have had a chance to see the exhibit in their area.

Thank you, MaryJane.

Carolyn
Daughter of Elsie Lee Splear

Edited by - cspratt on Aug 04 2008 12:21:07 AM

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  07:12:43 AM  Show Profile
I love to use picturebooks with my kidergarten art classes. I am gonna order this.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  07:15:31 AM  Show Profile
Carolyn

I had never heard of this book. I work in a Child Care center & am looking forward to getting it & sharing it with the children there & my own son & daughter.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  08:34:10 AM  Show Profile
I emailed this topic to my duaghter who's a teacher in Iowa and is always looking for great books for her students. Thank you, I was not aware of this book. I personally LOVE children's books! I am reading the Little House on the Prairie books right now.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  6:42:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info. I went on Amazon and ordered it. Love children's books.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Growing Seasons a 100 years ago Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page