UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:07:25 PM  Show Profile
I just pulled the shoes off my 12 yr old Missouri Fox Trotter and I'm going to try it out barefoot this season. She has had shoes on since September when I was in competition with her but since we aren't planning on going anywhere anytime soon I thought I should pull them and get them back to looking good again. Her frog look as if it was contracting so I'm going to try the barefoot hoof and see if I can get her to compete without shoes. She's in a transition period right now so when her hoof is done then I'll fit her with easy boots. Anyone else have barefoot horses? My friend swears I'm doing the wrong thing pulling her shoes. She thinks it will ruin her gaiting. So far I don't see a difference in her gait, I think she acts more confortable barefoot. We haven't tried trail yet I'm waiting for her hoof to get back to normal then try some trails. If anyone else has a barefoot horse let me know how you guys are doing with them and how their transistion period was?

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  3:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ayako!

I haven't ever had to transition a horse from shoes to barefoot, but the horse ranch that I used to work for had a lot of the horses barefoot. I think that it's a good decision unless there is some sort of pressing NEED for shoeing.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  7:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i totally agree with alee. there is no reason to put shoes on a horse unless the conditions you ride in warrent it (ie: lots of rocks or pavement) my horses were always barefoot, even my trail horse. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  12:16:37 PM  Show Profile
I think bare feet, if they have good strong hoof walls, is a great idea. My Paso has such hard feet he has never had shoes. His feet also chip clean and we do very little trimming. If I was riding him on gravel or pavement I'd think about shoeing. But so far no problems.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  1:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
in the part of Montana I come from, very few people shoe their horses. ranch horses just don't need shoes. the scene in Rooster Cogburn where Matti fusses about not wanting to ride a barefoot pony always just made me shake my head...poor horse.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  4:01:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all your help. I just panicked because my friend said I was ruining my horse for pulling her shoes. I've been doing some research and I think this will be a good thing for my horse, plus it saves me some money in the long run by not paying my farrier to shoe all four feet. I was paying $140 for shoes every six weeks and I only pay the barefoot farrier $40 for all four feet. Well I feel much better now. When we get back into competative trail riding I'll put Easy boots on her.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  8:32:48 PM  Show Profile
I think your shoe option is something you, your vet, and a good farrier would know more about than your friend. So many variables go into what is best for your horse and how you ride. It's great that you're thinking of what is best and checking on it.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  8:48:25 PM  Show Profile
I have a thoroughbred and she does great with no shoes. I do put boots on her. You should read a book by Pete Ramey "Making natural hoof care work with for you.It is very informative. Also I have read that if you spray Apple cider vinegar on the hooves it helps toughen them up. Pete Ramey also has a web site. Just google his name.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  8:47:13 PM  Show Profile
I have a a 17yr old Morgan that has NEVER had shoes (I've had him since he was less than a year old) and a quarter-pony that's never had them either. (she's 9 and was bred by a friend of mine) Both have EXTREMELY tough feet! They can run on rocks and not feel it!!

I have always questioned the need for shoes on horses, but felt a little guilty for NOT having them shod. After reading a book by a man who was a ferrier for over 30yrs (can't remember his name, but I read the book a LOOOONG time ago! Before the new "Bare Foot Craze"), I didn't feel so bad anymore. That ferrier spent many years trimming all breeds of horses, and ALSO trimming Mustang feet. The mustang feet really intrigued him and he got to studying the horses hooves more in depth, researching the history of shoeing horses and he found that shoes actually CAUSED more damage to a horses hooves and legs than they helped. Shoeing horses is a MAN-MADE concept and goes against nature. Just look at the wild horses and you won't find bad feet or leg problems in ANY of them! My horses, and any horses I have in the future, will be just as nature intended--- BAREFOOT!!!

Oh, and I agree with Victoria. Pete Ramey really explains the concept of "bare footedness" in horses VERY well and his web site shows the "before" and "after" shots of horses that had SERIOUS leg and hoof issues from YEARS of incorrect trimming and shoeing. Some of them were even on the verge of being euthenized, they were in such bad shape. Jaime Jackson, Pete Remey's mentor, has some good books too. He was actually one of the first farriers to advocate barefoot trimming for horses-- this was after years of trimming up BLM mustangs and studying their hooves too. Just something to think about.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

MEfarmgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Karen
Hollis Maine
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  7:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Click to see MEfarmgirl's MSN Messenger address
I have an 8y/o Tennessee Walker and for the first 3yrs I had him, I always keep him shod. After lots of research I decided to try the barefoot scene and my boy has been GREAT without shoes. They constrict the hoof a lot; and I think of what it must feel like being in shoes day and night! lol. If we do any rough trail riding I use Boa boots on his front feet. All is well with us.

"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be"
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  7:24:00 PM  Show Profile
We have 4 horses now that aren't shod. One is 20 something and never had shoes and he does find. We don't ride him the kids do and that isn't very often. He's out in the pasture running over rought country, rocks and hard dirt. The other 3 are colts and if they are never shod, they can turn out like the 20 yr old. Just keep the hoofs trimmed well and care for the craks and things and they chould be fine.

DH's one work horse, if he throws a shoe, he instantly start limping and acts tender. Not sure if he does it to get out of work, or becuause he's always had shoes and his feet never toughened.

The ranch horse go as long as possible between shoing's from the farrier because of the money. That would be a top reason to not have a horse in shoes all the time, look at the money you have already saved!

Good luck and I hope your horse does well..
Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  10:10:02 PM  Show Profile
We don't have shoes on our Quarter horses. I check their hooves often and they are looking good.
Go to Top of Page

RoseRed
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Karen
Virginia
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  2:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Nah, you won't mess up her gait. Do keep her hooves trimmed and well looked after, and introduce her to rough terrain carefully. If her hooves tolerate being shoe-less, you're fine. :)
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  06:53:02 AM  Show Profile
Well I got to ride her yesterday around the arena and around the yard. She did great. I think her gait is smoother. She seemed more comfortable. I even walked her over the gravel driveway and she didn't seem tender. She kept up her flat foot walk with me on her back so I was very pleased with how she had done. I feel pretty confident I did the right thing for the both of us now.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  07:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Good, Ayako! I bet she does feel better!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  06:39:04 AM  Show Profile
Good for you and your horse. I did hear that someone is starting to try and have riding events with horses barefoot.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic The barefoot horse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page