Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 spindle and weaving
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic spindle and weaving Next Topic  

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  02:26:25 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i know they are 2 seperate processes lol. i am making my own spindle and cant seen to find how much of the dowel i should put on top of the wooden wheel for a top whorl spindle. can anyone help? i also need to know how long i leave the bottom of the dowel.
i also wanted to let you know that i finally figured out how to successfully warp my loom and have woven about 6-8 inches of my fabric! it is a pretty heavy thread so kinda coarse but good for practice and this loom wont work with much thinner thread. i found out that it is a rigid heddle type loom. its always so much fun to learn something new especially with no directions! *grin* thanks much for all your help!
peace connie in alaska

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4205 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4205 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  04:31:58 AM  Show Profile
Mine has almost 3/4 of an inch showing on the top, and the dowel is about 7 1/2 inches long. It also is made with a wooden wheel. The gal I took a class from, her husband made that, and a niddy noddy. (another usefull tool)

Congrats on the loom too. Last year I took a drop spindle class, and since then have gotten a wheel and taught myself to spin on it.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:35:27 AM  Show Profile
Connie, mine has 1 1/2" on the top and it is about 7 1/2" long. I hope this helps! If you need directions for spinning go to www.graftonfibers.com/spinning.htm They had the best directions that I found online. Good luck and have fun!!
Monica

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thank you so much for the replies! i will definately check out that link this evening!! do you think i can teach myself with directions online? everything else i have ever learned i have tought myself from written directions lol. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  11:46:45 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to try the graftonfibers site; I bought a top whorl spindle and I can't figure out how to do it for the life of me.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
http://nostalgichomemaking.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4205 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4205 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  12:37:24 PM  Show Profile
I have watched video's on the internet about spinning, carding, cleaning wool etc.... I has helped me out alot. I just recieved a drum carder, so have been watching videos on how to operate it. Should be interesting.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  12:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
sadlyl i have a very sloooowwwwww dial up connection and cant get videos as a 5 minute video takes hours to download. guess i will just have to fake it till i make it *grin*
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic spindle and weaving Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page