Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Heat?? What Heat?? Next Topic  

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  9:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Ok, I don't know about all y'all, but dang it is H-O-T as heck here. The devil is even like, damn it's hot up here--that's how hot it is. The grass is starting to get that sharper than glass crunch to it! At this point in the season, I am ready to hit fast forward to Autumn, just for some relief. How is everybody else temp wise?? Am I the only one suffering Mother Nature's heat flash???

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  9:34:14 PM  Show Profile
it's been in the 90's here in 'ole kaintuck .. lovin' that air conditioning! xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  9:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Today our thermometer registered 98 in the shade...I mean, c'mon!!!! I didn't even want to know what it would read in the sun!

Samantha

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  9:52:31 PM  Show Profile
It has been hotter than HE...double toothpicks here too...right up near 100 all week..but there has been blessed rain tonight..and there was some last night too. It was HOT and humid this morning at 11am though..ugh.
I hope it starts to cool off just a little. I could go for a few days of 75 degrees about now!!
My tomato plants are loving it though.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  10:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny!
So that's where the rain clouds went, to Utah. It was cloudy and looked like rain all afternoon here in NoNevada and we never got a drop. Okay, you need it too. My other half works so hard to have the front lawn looking good and when it gets really hot, the front section just turns to straw. We've had a problem with billbugs (had never heard of them, thought they meant pill bugs at first) and I think he needs to just start over with new topsoil and new sod in that area..or do something else with it.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  10:23:49 PM  Show Profile
I have never heard of billbugs either...Our lawn is looking pretty bad too..but for some reason, lack of rain never seems to effect weeds..they grow like...weeds!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  10:48:03 PM  Show Profile
With the bad floods we had here last January, the weeds in the areas affected are 2-3 times higher than most years. Having a lot of empty houses doesn't help. Between the flooding and those who bought high and couldn't refinance the goofy adjustable mortgages, it's sad. This area was an alfalfa ranch for years and we still get some coming up in the back yard. It doesn't have grass, just some bushes and trees and my Iris plants. It's the dogs yard :) Girl dogs who aren't supposed to pee on the front lawn and make yellow spots. They won't eat the stuff that's supposed to eliminate that, so we try to hose down when they do. Just try stopping a dog, or kid, or mid age and up woman in midstream :)
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  11:34:09 PM  Show Profile
I have to say rain would be nice, none in forecast, I am not sure we have had any but a trace the very first part of July.
I have to agree Aunt Jenny, my tomato plants sure are liking the heat.

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  05:02:56 AM  Show Profile
It was very hot here yesterday (and dry for a change), but so far, this summer has been bearable. I don't know why, as we have been in the upper 80's, with our usual thick, humid air. But we seem to be blessed with a sweet breeze that comes just when the afternoon is heating up to cook us. I went out to tend the chickens this morning and there was a teeny, tiny bit of coolness to the air. It won't last long, but I'm grateful for it.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  05:14:31 AM  Show Profile
We haven't been bad here. This past week was mostly in the 80's. Friday was only 78 and then that night dropped to 36. Yesterday hit 91 and that's the hottest it's been. I almost went to the creek yesterday, but I had too much to do.

Glad to hear somebody got some rain, Aunt Jenny. We've been seeing clouds build here, but they move on and dump higher up in the mountains. Which is ok. At least the creeks are full which will make it easier for the Kokanee to get up here next month. Yum!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  07:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Karin,

Ya know, ours hasn't been that bad either, until about a week ago. Then it just hit the high note. It's looking to be a long August if it keeps this up!

Samantha

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  08:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It certainly as been toasty but manageable this year. It's really odd. Usually we are scorching right now but I don't think we have had too many over 100 days in this area this summer!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  09:41:56 AM  Show Profile
It was 100 yesterday and is going to be 100 again today. Of course in Missouri we don't just get the heat but also the humidity.

Diana
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  11:37:57 AM  Show Profile
Also in Texas, elphie0503, and the heat is incredible. Estimated to be 98F, with heat index at 105F+. Got the animals in the big shaded pen, with wading pools and misters going full blast. I feel kinda guilty hanging out in the house with air-conditioning!

Think I'll go drown that guilt with a nap.

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Tips blog: http://allingoodhealth.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  12:18:30 PM  Show Profile
In the 90's here most of last week and today also. There is supposed to be a "cold" front moving in and dropping into the upper 80's.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  6:02:33 PM  Show Profile
Topped 100 yesterday and today!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  6:14:34 PM  Show Profile
It's this time of the year that DH and I have the endless discussion of 'why do we live here?' and we blame and curse our family that plopped us here in the middle of the stinkin' desert. If only I had enough guts to up and move to someplace cooler....

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  08:20:06 AM  Show Profile
Samantha: I'll let you know as soon as they've scraped up the last drop of me and put it in a bucket. There's not much left on us to melt -- on me, just my shoes, I think.

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  08:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh! Yesterday it skyrocketed up from the low nineties or high eighties to 103. Phew! But it was a great day for enjoying some nice cold lemonade!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:28:40 AM  Show Profile
It's been pretty crispy here in central NC too

I can handle the heat no problem, but the humidity is bad bad bad

Lived in the desert for 5 years and will gladly take 110 and 30% humidity over this 90 and 60%!

Have enjoyed beating the heat by taking the dog swimming in the creek
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  5:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Anna-

That is so true! The humidity really is hard. Especially when you feel like you are breathing in water because it is so humid! I recently moved back to semi desert but it has been so moist this summer it hardly feels like semi desert!

You know what I love about the desert areas though? That really FRESH smell that you get after it rains! The wetter parts of the country don't seem to smell the same. I love going out before sunrise after it has rained when it is still cold and crisp and smelling that smell!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  7:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
It's not too bad here, well now it's not. Last week was about miserable, but the humidity has dropped off some now so we can breathe again. Supposed to hold out this way for the next couple of days.

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. Helen Keller "http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  7:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I swear...and sadly, my garden is suffering for it! Thankfully, I picked the last of my green beans 2 days ago...wen't outside earlier to check left over pods for seeds, and the plants are starting to dry up. However, my squash must love it, because I am trying to kill it, and it just keeps getting stronger! I swear we're gonna be eating squash until the cows come home! Today after Heat Index, it was 106*!!!!!! What the !#@$!$^@$%&@&@$&????? That can't be for real!

I'm such a winter person.....

Samantha

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  8:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We just got drenched! A real cloud burst! Out in the badlands I bet there was some flash flooding! It was great!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Heat?? What Heat?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page