Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Country Auctions - BARGAINS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Country Auctions - BARGAINS Next Topic  

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  5:27:29 PM  Show Profile
I just LOVE going to auctions!

There is an auction house here where DH and I attend about once a quarter.

Last night I got a box of recipes for $1.00, turned out the lady was a school lunch lady, so I've got a lot of 100- serving quantity recipes now.

Also I purchased a lot with a pressed glass cake plate and a matching bowl for $6.00. Neither of them have any chips.

And I got a box of tins for $1.00 - one has Sunmaid raisin advertising.

DH picked up a box of "garage junk" for $5.00 that had parts for his IH tractor that was probably worth $15 or $20 -

but we also bought a box of LPs for $4.00 that was a disappointment. He was looking for the tune "tumbling Tumbleweeds" by Gene Autry and it turned out to be another artist. Also, we no longer have a stylus for the turntables we still have that would be able to play these records. We got the whole box of LPs, but were only interested in the one.

AND, best of all, there is a floor loom at an upcoming auction. I can't wait to be there. I only hope he doesn't schedule the auction when we are out of town!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  05:17:04 AM  Show Profile
BRENDA,
you did get some good things. I was just telling my sister in law last night how I look for old hand written recipes and have yet to find any, you would think by this time I would have found a box or book, but no. So good for you. Now you just have to have a huge party of at least a 100 .
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

iloveprims
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

TRACY
Phillipsburg NJ
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  06:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Send iloveprims a Yahoo! Message
Wow you got some great things! I might have to see about going to some country auctions.

http://wantingtobeme.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  07:04:59 AM  Show Profile
Great stuff Brenda! Who doesn't love a great bargain! My parents left me a bunch of old lp's but they also left me the old stereo to play them on which is nice....I loved Gene Autry, Roy Rogers etc as a kid and I DO remember that song....now I'll be singing it around here all morning...that and Happy Trails and Back in the Saddle Again....oh...what memories!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  09:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
I Do Enjoy Auctions.....go occasionally to one that is fun to be at and one can find some Fabulous Buys!!!...........However, I had my own antique business many years ago and collected Wonderful things that over the years have been sorted out until we now have the antiques we truly LOVE integrated into our home........ soooooo I am much "Pickier" with what I buy/need................

I do change things out for other things when we find something that we love more then something else!!!...... We've been married 37 years (in August) so we have had lots of time to collect and be selective. Definately one of the Good Benefits that age/time allows for!!! :)

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  4:48:28 PM  Show Profile
Good Job, Brenda! I am sure there are some auctions around Spokane, but I haven't found them yet. I get in enough trouble at the thrifts and the garage sales.
And I will share my great treasure from this past Saturday! I had to go to Lowe's, so I meandered through the side streets on my way up there (it isn't far from me). And I hit two garage sales. Didn't get much, some pint canning jars and a wine glass at one. A couple three small things at the other. THEN, I wasn't even going to stop, but "something" called me. This last one was almost closed (it was after 3:00 PM) and I went in and looked around. There was a dinner plate and a cup & saucer with a pretty pink flower on it and a pink kind of dotted border. I looked on the back, and they were Homer Laughlin. Well, I love HL china...so I picked them up. Then I looked around, and on my way out I saw another cup, so I picked that up too. I told the guy I would take them...(now I didn't have a lot of cash, as I hadn't "planned" on yard saling...). He said, there's a bunch more of that under here, and he had the rest of the set in a box under the table...so there were 5 dinner plates, 5 cups and saucers and (I'm not sure he knew) a platter (!) in the box...I was afraid I'd have to go to the money god (ATM) and get the $$ for it...and I said, what are you asking? And he said, not a lot...(I'm thinking $10, which was still more than I had on me) and he said $4??? I tried to keep my face straight, went to my car to get 4 of my "parking meter" quarters and gave him the $4!!! Yikes!!! It is so pretty. It is the Picadilly shape and the pattern is called Mary Anne (and Marianne is my middle name!). So that was my thriller for the season. Now I have to find a place for it...I need another china hutch :-)
Shop on, Farmgirls!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  4:57:05 PM  Show Profile
My hubby & myself love auctions too. We have got some really great deals and at times box of junk. But it is really fun and something we can do together. We were in Alabama about 2 months ago and went to one and got an antique baby bassinett with the straw mattress. It was a great deal at 20.00.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  5:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I want to go to the auctions around here! I have heard they have some great ones! Don't you just hate it when you run out of time to do everything that you want/need to do?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Country Auctions - BARGAINS Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page