Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  09:40:06 AM  Show Profile
Thought I better put a few things on my site today, because we are having company all week and I don't know if I will have time to be here doing this. My brother and sister in law are coming from South Carolina. Haven't seen them in five years, so got lots of things planned to do, hope the weather understands this.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  10:27:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh...I'm going to miss you this week but I know you'll have a great time with your family! Love the purse/beach tote but also what's in the basket next to it...that looked so interesting too! I got my pc up finally by hardwiring the modem to my new pc and bypassing the router until I can get new one. It's been a long week spending hours on the phone so today is RnR...bath, change sheets, make a nice roast chicken dinner, do a little laundry, water my plants, iron and work on my MJ badge(s).....ahhhhh....I am such a homebody! I will have to muddle through the week looking at your old posts on your blog I suppose. I do love the bookend idea of the jar AND I see you did find a few of your marbles....that will come in handy this next week I bet...having company and all! LOL! Love ya!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  11:20:24 AM  Show Profile
Sandra,
There is a picture of that basket in the FEB. O8 OLDER POSTS.

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  11:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Nancy what is sea glass, see Sandra if you are dumb then I sure am to

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  11:36:01 AM  Show Profile
My mom loves sea glass, Miss Wilma! I'll let Nancy Jo explain it further, but it's exactly the definition of the two words.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  11:40:33 AM  Show Profile
Miss. Wilma,
Its bits of glass that has washed up on shore, they are so worn on the edges by the water and sand that they are all smooth on the edges. Could be something as simple a piece from a pop or beer bottle, or from a sunken ship, pretty endless possibilities as to where it came from. Its nice when you find colored pieces. I found white and amber, and black, yesterday.Its fun to find and looks pretty in a dish. I always wonder where it came from.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  11:44:59 AM  Show Profile
The beach in the little town I GREW UP IN ALWAYS HAS A BIT Of sea glass or a bit of old china. Someday maybe I'll find mine again. My favorite find was a tiny bit of blue and white china, with a little staircase coming out of a flower bed. I used to dig for bottles there too. One time I found a tiny glass jar, holds maybe an ounce and then the grandpa jar which holds maybe a quart, I think they used to have some kind of medicine in them. That looks like the perfect beach collection basket, love those polka dots...

Karin ( I just got back from my favorite junkstore, got three old sewing and knitting and crocheting books and a cute old flowered table cloth, it's a wee bit grisly but i'll put some lemon juice and set it out in the sun, if the sun ever appears. "We are in kind of a soupy fog here today....I hope the weather behaves for your company...).

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com

Edited by - electricdunce on Jul 20 2008 11:46:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  12:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Karin,
I think its a fun thing to look for while at the beach. Just be careful you don't run into people while walking. Sometimes you forget to look up and see where you are headed. Or you get so into looking for the glass that before you know it you have to take a bus back to where you started.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  12:43:40 PM  Show Profile
Karin, you might laugh, but when Justin and I got married, my bit of "blue" was two pieces of sea-worn blue and white china from St. Ives, Cornwall, that washed up on the shore. From the mid 1700 to 1800's, St. Ives was a large china producing area, and they would throw out the "bad" ones into the ocean, where I found them in 1992. Cornwall is such a part of me, that I had to include it in my wedding day :) I panelled them in with tulle into the hem of my wedding gown.

My mother collects sea glass from the outerbanks, NC when they go every year for vacation.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Jul 20 2008 12:44:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  3:32:58 PM  Show Profile
I want to collect sea glass!!!! But I don't live near a sea...what's a girl to do?

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  4:36:33 PM  Show Profile
If you google SEA GLASS lots of info and pictures. Now I want to go back to the lake and find more!
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  5:09:29 PM  Show Profile
I have heard about sea glass forever, and have lived in Florida, near many beaches for a long time. But I had never found the first piece of sea glass.......shells of all kinds, driftwood, everyting else but no glass. I even found a for real message in a bottle!

Then about 4 years ago, hubby and I went to California... Monterey, and I found sea glass all over those beaches!!!!! Long ago, ships dumped their empties over the side, and for years and years the glass tumbled around the sandy bottom of the sea, and then some of it got washed ashore. The glass is milky, smooth,and small, and blue, purple, white, and there is something magical about it. I collected a baggie full and brought it home. But I have still found no sea glass on the Atlantic side, Is that not weird?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 20 2008 5:11:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  05:01:34 AM  Show Profile
I was finding it at a beach on LAKE ERIE, AND YOU CAN'T FIND IT IN FLORIDA?? Something is wrong with this picture. Didn't a lot of ships go down off the florida coast over the years? Where is the glass? Well anyway you did get a nice bunch of it from another site. I have about four pieces. But its a start.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  06:10:41 AM  Show Profile
How close are you to the beach? And it is Lake Erie? Did you your company get there? I live across the street from a 600 acre lake here but I doubt if I will find any sea glass there! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic NEW PICTURES Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page