Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wheat Free Granola Recipe? Next Topic  

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  07:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Anyone have an extra yummy wheat free granola recipe. Going camping next weekend and would like to bring some along...

www.sundariyoga.com

"Breathe in the Sunshine"

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  09:48:18 AM  Show Profile
I would think that you could use any granola recipe as long as you used the gluten free oats. I don't have it handy right now but Alton Brown has a real good recipe that I use all of the time. If no one else pops in with a good recipe then I will look for mine later this evening.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2329 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2329 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  6:43:49 PM  Show Profile
Our whole foods store has a variety of good things to put in granola that are wheat free like rolled oats, rolled rye, and rolled barley. In fact, now that I think about it, I've made tons of granola but I don't remember it having any wheat products in it at all other than wheat germ and bran, which can easily be left out.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  5:57:47 PM  Show Profile
Here is one of my favorites-and it has no wheat. You can also be flexible with what you put in it. I substitute all the time depending on what I have in the house. Also, this makes A LOT of granola-I usually halve it.

Maple Granola

2 cups maple syrup
2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
2 pounds 10 oz. rolled oats (large container)
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup chopped almonds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup raisins, cranberry raisins,or other dried fruit.

Preheat oven to 350. Combine dry ingredients except for the dried fruit. In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients, then pour it over the dry. Mix well. Spread on well-greased baking sheets and bake for 30 minutes or more, checking and turning the mixture occasionally. Remove from oven when lightly brown. Add dried fruit. Cool, then store in airtight containers.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  6:08:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Jennifer, that sounds so good! I'll have to give it a shot. I have some GF oats on hand from an order from Bob's Red Mill. Thanks for the recipe!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jodyleek
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Jody
Maple Plain MN
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  08:52:02 AM  Show Profile
This is a wheat free granola - and the great thing about it is that it makes crunchy clusters! I have made it many, many times and it's always good. Got this from The Traveler's Lunchbox:

Seven-Year Granola

Okay, so what exactly makes this granola different? I'm no kitchen scientist, but I can point out the things that seem to have the biggest impact. One thing is the addition of oat flour, which helps the grains and nuts stick together into those much-coveted clusters. Another is the use of sugar; as much I like liquid sweeteners like honey and maple syrup, they seem to produce a tougher, chewier granola. Finally, the right kind of oats are essential. For years I only baked with regular rolled ('old fashioned') oats because that's what recipes called for, but as soon as I switched to the smaller, thinner 'quick oats', the changes were remarkable - clusters formed, everything baked faster, and the texture became exquisitely light and crunchy. If you can't find quick oats where you live - and I have lived in a few places where oats come in one variety only - here's what I would do: pulse rolled oats in a food processor a few times to break them down to about half their original size. It won't be exactly the same but it will come close.
Yield: about 8 cups

1 lb. (450g) quick oats*
3 cups (750ml/about 300g) coarsely chopped raw nuts and/or seeds (I usually use a mixture of almonds, hazelnuts and pumpkin seeds, but use whatever tickles your fancy)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1 cup, packed (200g) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (115g/1 stick) unsalted butter
1/3 cup (80ml) water
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
dried fruit, at your discretion

*if you're not familiar with the difference between quick and regular (also called 'old fashioned') rolled oats, take a look at the pictures on www.travelerslunchbox.com.

Preheat the oven to 300F/150C. In a food processor, coffee grinder or blender, grind half the oats to a fine powder. In a large bowl, combine the whole oats, ground oats, nuts and seeds. In a microwave-safe bowl (or in a saucepan over medium heat), combine the brown sugar, butter and water and heat just until the butter has melted and the mixture is bubbly. Stir the mixture together until smooth, then stir in the salt and vanilla. Pour this mixture over the oats and nuts, stirring well to coat (I usually do this with my hands). Let stand for about ten minutes.

Spread the mixture out on a large baking sheet, separating it into irregular clumps with your fingers, and allowing space between the clumps for the hot air to circulate. Slide into the middle of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and stir, gently breaking up the mixture into small-to-medium sized clumps. Return to the oven and bake another 15 minutes or so before stirring again. Repeat the bake-and-stir until the mixture is a uniform golden brown and completely dry; this usually takes 1-1 1/2 hours. Cool completely, then stir in any dried dried fruit you want to use.

Store in a covered container at room temperature. Serve with milk or plain yogurt and fresh fruit as desired.

Enjoy!
Jody

Monroe's Mom

Farmgirl Sister #233
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wheat Free Granola Recipe? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page