New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Cranberries Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  09:17:27 AM  Show Profile
I have spent the last three weekends south of where I live in an area that is filled with cranberry bogs. Basically sandy fields are trenched out and then banked and flooded to provide the growing areas with "dams" that can be released to accomodate excessive rain .We got lucky and watched the harvesting one day and it was so interesting. This big skimmer type machine sweeps the bog surface and the berries are harvested and put into large grain type trucks to be sent to the receiving stations. At some they are washed and sorted, others just send them on to a larger facility. It was so neat to see these trucks roaring past us filled with these yellow and red berries au natural. I know New Jersey and Massachusetts are big cranberry growers, does anyone else know where they are grown?
We also got to go to "The" Cranberry Festival and I have never seen more uses for this berry! It was very interesting! Cranberry catsup is well...different!

with a happy heart

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  09:21:56 AM  Show Profile
Washington State ranks 5th in cranberry production. I love cranberries!
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  09:25:33 AM  Show Profile
Oregon is 4th. Now you've got me going and I just found a bunch of recipes online. Are they in the stores yet?
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  11:35:43 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

I just love all of this cranberry talk. One of my favorite children's books is "Cranberry Thanksgiving" by Devlin. Seems like it even has a recipe for cranberry bread.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  2:11:00 PM  Show Profile
I love cranberries too and this week I barbequed a turkey breast. I made cranberry topping and had it on a sandwich this afternoon. OH so Yummy!!!
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

mustbeteatime
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Colette
MN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  2:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Oooh you have made me long to visit "home" - my uncle's farm (which was my grand- and great-grandparent's) in Minnesota has a naturally occurring cranberry bog. My uncle still has a beekeeper keep some hives in the area because my grandfather found out years ago that they needed the bees to pollinate the cranberries. The beekeeper pays rent in honey - and I do get some of that whenever I visit! Sadly, I was the only family member in recent years to pick any cranberries (requires waders, balance to cross the open water on a fallen tree, and a never-mind-that-it's-raining attitude), and now that we're so far away, I can't get back to do that. And wow, now that I think about it, they are "organic" - untouched by any chemicals or anything. I hope it is still there when we finally move back.

My kids and I also enjoy the "Cranberry" books by the Devlin's.

Thanks for the memories - and I saw fresh cranberries in the grocery store today.

Enjoy the good things in life - especially when there is time for tea!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  3:27:24 PM  Show Profile
Cranberries are on sale this week at the grocery store! Yeah!
I am only an hour from a cranberry bog. My hope is to get a box to freeze and can some cran sauce. Your sandwich sounds wonderful Eileen!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim

Edited by - Julia on Oct 19 2005 3:28:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  3:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh good Cranberries
I want to make some cranberry jam.
and cranberry syrup, and, and ,and lol
shirley
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  4:31:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by connio
I just love all of this cranberry talk. One of my favorite children's books is "Cranberry Thanksgiving" by Devlin. Seems like it even has a recipe for cranberry bread.

It does have a recipe, Connie! And beautiful illsutrations. That was one of my childhood favorites.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  4:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Wisconsin grows lots of cranberries. I made a dried cherry and (fresh) cranberry chutney last year -- oh, my! Love love love cranberries!!
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  4:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
I just had the very best apple cider that I have had in years! A friend invited my girls and me to a birthday brunch for our priest, she makes this homemade apple cider that starts with a brew of crannberries, and is sweetened with honey! She offered to share the recipe, and I just cant wait!

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  6:20:42 PM  Show Profile
Julia -

I figured you would have something to say about cranberries, since they are such a big thing down where you are. :) When we were in Bandon, OR two years ago on vacation, we ate our fill of cranberry candy - oh so many kinds. There was cranberry items everywhere. I love homemade cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving. Do you have a good recipe you can share?

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  1:08:44 PM  Show Profile
We are surrounded by cranberry farmers here in S.Oregon Coast. Everywhere I look I see bogs filled with water. It's harvest time!

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  2:50:42 PM  Show Profile
My favorite Cranberry Sauce recipe is so simple. I get 2 cups of fresh cranberries and put them through my hand cranking meat chopper along with the pulp of one orange. To this mixture I add the zest from the same orange ( Usually valencia oranges if I can get them). I then add just enough brown sugar or unrefined cane sugar to this mixture to make it sweet enough. Everyone has a different tolerance for the sour flavor of cranberries so add and taste. YUMMY! If you add this sauce to a regular muffin recipie the muffins are from heaven!
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  3:38:09 PM  Show Profile
I'm a big cranberry fan too, and Christmas just isn't the same without them! And don't forget about cranberry pie, it's sooo good, I make a Christmas jam that has cranberries in it too. I think there is a variety that can be grown in the garden and not a bog? They are high right now but I"m hoping they come down after Thanksgiving.

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  9:34:14 PM  Show Profile
Last night for church potluck I made a yummy pear tart.
Make pastry crust,put in pie pan, smather with butter,sprinkle with brown sugar, sprikle with chopped dark chocolate, add some cranberries. Peel and core your pears. Slice them and fan them out. put them in the pie pan and sprinkle with more brown sugar and a few more cranberries. bake at 425* for 25min. If you don't want red stained pears, dried cranberries work too.
Anne, I make more of a cranberry chutney.
16oz of cranberries, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup golden raisins, 1/2cup chopped celery, 1/2 cup chopped apples, 1/2 cup water,2 Tblsp. candied ginger, 2 Tblsp. lemon juice and 1/4tsp ground cloves. Bring to a boil in a saucepan.stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 15 min. Yum!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  03:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Julia,
Your recipes have me salivating....I LOVE cranberries in any form but combined with pears and chocolate or chutney. WOW!!
Thanks for sharing. I am definitely going to try both.

BEB

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

mustbeteatime
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Colette
MN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  08:54:34 AM  Show Profile
YUMMY! Julia - if ever I do travel up to Oregon, I'll let you know... tea, cranberries, chocolate - I think we have the best things in common.

Now that it is getting cooler, I keep a container of hot cereal topping on hand:
Toasted pecans - broken up or chopped
Dried cranberries
Brown sugar
Mix in any proportion and stir into your favorite hot cereal.

Edited by - mustbeteatime on Oct 21 2005 08:55:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  3:45:41 PM  Show Profile
I grew up in Massachusetts and loved going by the bogs at harvest time. Nothing but little bobbing berries floating on top and the men in waders with big wooden rakes ;eading them towards the conveyor. Cranberries are a favorite at our house. Connio- I have the same book-Cranberry Thenksgiving. I pull it out every year along with The Thanksgiving Visitor by Truman Capote.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  3:57:00 PM  Show Profile
Julia -

Great, thanks for the recipes. I copied them and will put in my file. I do a big Christmas dinner every year for my husband's side. The chutney will definitely be on the table. The pear/cranberry desert will probably be made for Thanksgiving.

Thanks again

Anne in Portland

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  5:43:37 PM  Show Profile
Glad you liked them!

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  1:16:33 PM  Show Profile
Glad this was a topic that struck a cord with alot of you. We always have the whole berry or jellied cranberry sauce debate, and I usually end up making both, but I just might make that chutney too Julia! Thanks!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  8:30:26 PM  Show Profile
It really is good, even with a spoon. I like it on nice hot homemade rolls! Yum!

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2005 :  07:25:57 AM  Show Profile
Julia- Check your e-mail for our "Chutney Review"! It is delicious and my new favorite! Thanks!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Cranberries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page