Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 My first machine!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic My first machine!! Next Topic  

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  10:09:09 PM  Show Profile

I've wanted a sewing machine for a long time now but it just wasn't in the budget. A few weeks ago I was at Wal-mart and they had a something or other on clearance for $40 but I didn't have the funds that day--plus I wanted something a little nicer.

Today I stopped in at a yard sale and I found a beauty--a 1964 Elna in a cabinet! It has everything with it, right down to the cancelled check ($458 on 12-31-1964), a drawer full of patterns, the manual and warranty and the info from the store it came from. The drawer is full of little goodies like personalized "Homemade by XXXXX" labels. Really, it is amazing!

And it was mine for the grand total of...$10!!! Can you believe it?

Here's the thing, though--I don't know how to sew. I can knit, crochet and hand-embroider but a bad 7th grade home ec experience scared me away from sewing. Any ideas of where to start? I want to make some little jumpers for Liv and an apron for me. I think I need some scissors (all I have are ktichen shears, lol!), fabric and thread. Anything else?

Farmmom to my 3 year old farm tot, and wife to a country boy!
To learn more about me, here is my blog:
http://mcadmom.wordpress.com/

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2287 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2287 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  11:33:51 PM  Show Profile
I had the same 7th grade experience; it only took me about 50 years to overcome it! Start with a simple apron and/or pillowcases. Yup-- you'll need fabric, scissors, and thread. You can always recycle old clothes in place of fabric. Start with cleaning and oiling the machine; it will than you. You will be much happier with the vintage Elna than you would be with one of the Walmart plastic machines and it will probably last much longer, too.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  07:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
congratulatons diane! you will be so happy with that machine! one thing that you will need is straight pins *wink* and do invest in good scissors as they make a world of difference! i prefer either gingher or sears. a seam ripper is a good idea too lol. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  09:19:51 AM  Show Profile
Diane, I am so excited for you! I have a 1955 Elna Supermatic and I love it although right now it's missing the screw to hold the needle in. I have a sewing book that has a lot of good basic and advanced info so if you need one e-mail me your address and I would be happy to send it to you. I think they need to revamp 7th grade home ec because I remember that we had to make these night shirts and I had this flannel that I didn't like and it buttoned down a few buttons on the front and I had the worst time trying to get it right so I know exactly what you are talking about. Have fun!!!
monica

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  10:42:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by StitchinWitch

I had the same 7th grade experience; it only took me about 50 years to overcome it! Start with a simple apron and/or pillowcases. Yup-- you'll need fabric, scissors, and thread. You can always recycle old clothes in place of fabric. Start with cleaning and oiling the machine; it will than you. You will be much happier with the vintage Elna than you would be with one of the Walmart plastic machines and it will probably last much longer, too.

Happiness is Homemade

Guess what--there was an apron pattern in the cabinet! I think I will start there and then move on to pillow cases--thanks for the advice!

Go to Top of Page

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  10:45:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by oldfashioned girl

Diane, I am so excited for you! I have a 1955 Elna Supermatic and I love it although right now it's missing the screw to hold the needle in. I have a sewing book that has a lot of good basic and advanced info so if you need one e-mail me your address and I would be happy to send it to you. I think they need to revamp 7th grade home ec because I remember that we had to make these night shirts and I had this flannel that I didn't like and it buttoned down a few buttons on the front and I had the worst time trying to get it right so I know exactly what you are talking about. Have fun!!!
monica

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Oh, that is so nice! My experience was awful too--we had to make stuffed animals and duffel bags. My teddy's head would not go on straight and the duffel fell apart after one use. They were from kits and I remember how peeved my mom was that we weren't making something from a pattern or at least learning how to fix torn things.

So you have one of those great green ones, huh? I saw them when I was looking up info on may machine (mine is also a supermatic, star series) and I love the looks of those!!

Go to Top of Page

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  10:47:24 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by eskimobirdlady

congratulatons diane! you will be so happy with that machine! one thing that you will need is straight pins *wink* and do invest in good scissors as they make a world of difference! i prefer either gingher or sears. a seam ripper is a good idea too lol. peace connie in alaska

I totally did not think about pins! Here's a dumb question--when you sew do you pull the pins out as you go (seems like you'd have to be pretty coordinated to do so) or do you stitch right over them (and break the needle?)? Does it matter what kinds of pins I use?

DO I really need to iron the hems before sewing? I think I need an iron...

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2287 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2287 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  10:56:25 AM  Show Profile
I seldom use pins but when I do I remove them right before they reach the machine. While most machines will sew over them, it isn't really good for the presser foot and now and then the needle will hit one and break, causing many words of power.......
If you have kids and/or critters around the house please be careful with the pins. In the past I have had to fish them out of the mouths of both kid and cat and was lucky none were swallowed. My niece wasn't so lucky so now my sister has the x-ray showing the pin in her child's throat .

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  12:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
omg i have never had a problem with my kids or critters eating pins thank god!
i ahve been sewing my own clothes since i was about 8 yrs old (maybe younger)and my home ec class in 8th grade i got an F! i kept telling the teacher that the pattern was one i had used previusly and it fit. she said no you have to cut it down X amount. well guess what, it was too small by that same X amount!! not only did the grade make me angry but the fact that i had wasted the fabric that we couldnt really afford right then hurt the most! i have since gone on to many years of happpy sewing *grin*
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  1:38:37 PM  Show Profile
Diane, get on Ebay and do a search for Simplicity sewing books. The ones from the 60's and 70's give great basic sewing information.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=simplicity+sewing+book&_sacat=See-All-Categories

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  8:04:36 PM  Show Profile
Diane, Your in luck because the book I am going to send you is a Simplicity Sewing Book from 1969. I will get it out as soon as I can!!
Monica

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  07:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
Congratulations! You might want to check some of the "Sewing for Dummies" patterns (not that I think you are a dummy!... they are well written and have lots of tips for new beginners. In addition, start with kids clothes .... they love almost anything!

Best of luck... keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  11:57:12 AM  Show Profile
Lucky you!!! I hope you enjoy your new toy, yard sales are so much fun, specially when you find a bargin like you did!
I have a machine, but not the time to learn with it. It goes to fast! I just need something nice and slow so I don't make mistakes, maybe I should find one with the foot pedal?!
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  08:04:07 AM  Show Profile
wow! what a deal!

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic My first machine!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page