Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic re-purposing Next Topic  

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  4:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
not sure if this is the right place to post this but i am gonna anyways lol. i know we all like to reuse as much as possible.
the last 2 week while my hubby was on vacation was a very busy time. we bought home 30 square bales of hay and 4 round bales. then realized that oops! we dotn ahve a place to store it. being my hubby i figured he would figure out something. he went to town and got 5 packing crates (like the moving companies use) that were FREE and put them together into a line, nailed, braced and took out the inner walls and added a couple of peices of plywood to the top. he then covered the whole thing with blue tarps (a mainstay of alaska lol) and viola! oen hay barn big enough to hold all but three small bales!! this just for the cost of gas to town (2 trips) a few nails and 2 tarps!
then needing a chicken pen was high on the list of to-do's. we had some used chicken wire (6 ft! never seen it that tall before lol)we didnt have posts so it is tied to trees with used baler twine and has peices of log holdiong it to the ground! we havent gotten the top on it yet so praying that the chicks dont provide some critter with a meal! oh by the way, they are also housed in what used to be a packing crate covered with a blue tarp!! its a good thing i love the color blue! *grin* peace connie in alaska

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  5:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Blue tarps are a mainstay here in Maine too, and they are a nice blue. Hope your chickens like their new accomodations...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  5:54:56 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
it took them 2 days to finally come out of the "coop" and into the outdoors. they are just over 1 month old had never been on the ground lol. you would have thought the moss was gonna eat them!
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  7:04:19 PM  Show Profile
Blue tarps are pretty popular here in Utah too..haha. I have a big "good" one over my hay. Only 4 tons fit it my hay barn so I have to put the other 6 or so tons that we use a year on pallets with a tarp over and use it first. We have 8 tons in now and another 2 coming for sure..whew!!
Good idea for your chickens too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  8:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
wow jenny how many critters do you have?? i dotn knwnow how many tons we have (or if it is a ton lol) but the square bales are about 65-70 pounds and the round ones are supposed to be equal to 15 bales. we still need to get about another 100 square bales m( think that is what hubby told me) and are really praying for decent haying weather in august (usually rains most of the month!)so we can get second cutting out of the same field! we did have to put the square bales on the ground covered with a tapr and it of course rained for 2 days before we could get the shed up. several of them got moldy! i have always heard it wont hurt cows but i really dont want to take the chance.
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  8:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi Connie! I am from Alaska too! It's been a few years but I lived in Fairbanks for 8 years from 1987 until 1995....I still call it "home". I moved there as a wife of Army man, then divorced him and 8 years later moved to PA with the next man I married. I miss Fairbanks so much! The weather was harsh enough that my lungs just couldn't take it any longer..I was often sick.
I worked at the airport at Arctic Circle Air, and also for the foundation of Fairbanks Crisis Line (suicide hotline).
I would love to hear from you about what is going on in Fairbanks lately!
Linda

Jesus was a feminist!
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  12:31:35 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
linda you wouldnt believe fairbanks now! in the 6 1/2 yrs i have been here it has grown too much! the traffic is getting horrible! they have put in tons of chain sotres and fast food restaraunt it breaks my heart.it used to be that when i drove to town (i am on haystack mountain by the chatanika river) i might see a semi truck but rarely a car or pickup. the other day we were leaving for town and in the 2 1/2 miles down the mountain we saw 6 cars! time for me to move to the bush! lol
this week starts the golden days festivities and i am not sure i will even go to town never mind join the party like i usually do. were you stillhere when they opened home depot? that whole area is now shopping and food , all the trees gone!! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  09:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi Connie, I left in 1995 and the latest thing to be built was Fred Meyers and nothing else was near it.
What I am most curious about is the Northward Building the tallest (8 stories, I believe) apartments with businesses on the first floor. I think it was bought and name changed since then. It's not far from the river with the big Statue of Native family.

Jesus was a feminist!
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  1:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
it is still there but if i am not mistaken (i may have the wrong building in mind) it is "low rent" and in pretty bad shape and most of the businesses are empty. we moved here in 1992! gosh we were neighbors for 3 yrs! too bad we didnt meet *sigh* peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  2:49:16 PM  Show Profile
there are usually 34 bales (square ones about 65 lb or so) to a ton. We use about a bale a day. I just have one jersey cow, two small ewes and a small angora goat. (that eat the hay I mean...not the only critters I have) it is alot, but it stinks to run out in the spring!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  6:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hanks jenny. i guess we have more hay than you do with 4 round bales that equal about 15 square bales each lol. wee are gonna et more in second cutting (we hope!) this is such nice hay, much better than what we had to feed all winter. that didnt even smell good never mind that the color was brown! my guys think they are in heaven! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  9:02:32 PM  Show Profile
This that I have now is very nice too. A big change!!! The last hay I had to scramble to buy this spring when I ran out (long winter) wasn't very nice either. I was supplementing with alfalfa pellets.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic re-purposing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page