Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 No Frills Frilly Apron Question Need Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic No Frills Frilly Apron Question Need Help Next Topic  

DJSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Darlene
Kalispell Montana
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  12:29:35 PM  Show Profile
I am having trouble with the No Frills Apron pattern that is in the latest MJ Magazine.

Here is where I am stuck:

The waistband is two pieces sewn together at the top and then pressed. It then says "Place right side of back of waistband to wrong side of apron.

I know I am probably asking a ridiculous question, but I can't figure that part out!
Can anyone help me?
Thanks so much.
Darlene

Edited by - DJSmiles on Jul 18 2008 1:09:21 PM

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  12:49:21 PM  Show Profile
I just looked @ it and cant make any sense of it either :-/ sorry!

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

DJSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Darlene
Kalispell Montana
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  12:53:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for replying.. I am literally sitting here googling other apron patterns online to see how in the world I could make that work, all the while checking back here every few seconds to see if anyone has replied lol.

I am such a newb at sewing that I can't grab a mental picture of the way it will turn out doing it another way.

Thanks again for your reply!
Go to Top of Page

DJSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Darlene
Kalispell Montana
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  1:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Well I just went down and tried to piece things together. I think it will work if I stitch the wrong side of the back of waistband to wrong side of apron?

Here are the exact instructions:

1. With right sides of waistband together, stitch along top seam, clip curves, turn right side out, and press.

2. Attach right side of back of waistband to wrong side of apron body, stitch, and press seam toward inside of waistband.

3. Fold under 5/8" seam along lower front and both side edges of waistband; press.

4. Take unfinished edges of ties and tuck into sides of waistband; pin in place. Pin front of waistband to front of apron; topstitch 1/8" along all four sides of waistband.

Could right side of back of waistband mean the inside? It must! But wouldnt that leave an unfinished edge on the wrong side of the apron?

Aaarg! lol.
Hoping for some help soon.
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  1:37:11 PM  Show Profile
Since you’re going to create an hidden seam, you do that by: placing the right side (as opposed to the wrong side of the fabric) of what will end up being the back of your waist band (closest to your body) to the wrong side (inside) of the apron.

The rest of the instructions will have you then stitching it and then pressing the seam you just created up into what will be the finished waistband. Then you bring the other side of the waist band down over that seam and press it under 5/8 inch and then pin it to the front of the apron and topstitch.

Try not to get stuck on the words so much as thinking critically how you would attach a waistband without the seams showing. Hope this helps.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  09:13:19 AM  Show Profile
It sounds more complex than it is. I love my apron, and after reading that, I thought come on, what's the worst? I've got a seam ripper, and if I get it wrong the first time, just do it the other way. I did get it right (it helps to think of how to hide the seam), and I've gotten so many compliments on the apron! It is adorable. I think MaryJane wears one of these aprons on the cover of the Artists in Aprons issue, the adorable sunny yellow with reds, paired with her great red cowgirl hat? It is gorgeous! I hope you stick to it and end up with a great apron!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  09:24:33 AM  Show Profile
Darlene thanks for asking a question that I thought I was going to have to ask sooner or later. I am not an expert seamstress to say the least so I too find the directions sometimes tricky. I think that is why I quilt way more than I atually sew garments. Although I do want to make those darn aprons and knickers so I need to start learning sooner than later.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

DJSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Darlene
Kalispell Montana
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  9:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I just came back to check this post and saw that my reply of two days ago didnt post through!

What I said was...YES! It did help me so very much. Sometimes I get so dyslexic when reading the pattern instructions! I KNEW as I was looking at it that I should be able to figure it out.

When I read right side of back of waistband to wrong side of apron, I was imagining and trying to do it..upside down. Good grief.

But, I wanted to post and say that my apron is BEAUTIFUL! I will take some photos and post them. I am very proud of it. I love that I now know how to put the waistband on lol. Learning is wonderful!

Thank you ever so much again for the help Carol!!

Darlene
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  12:05:39 AM  Show Profile
I get the same way sometimes! Have to read the pattern over and over to try and get it straight in my brain. Thanks for the help with this - I'm going to attempt to make one this next week.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic No Frills Frilly Apron Question Need Help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page