RoseRed
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Karen
Virginia
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  6:27:37 PM  Show Profile
You know, we do the lamp thing in the winter time, but it's to keep our girls producing eggs (and for some warmth for them). It definitely works for the egg production...I'd never thought about the molting aspect, though. All but one are molting now, and we have almost no eggs. One isn't molting and is laying, and another isn't molting, but is broody, so is not laying. Anyway. I'm going to have look into this light in the winter holding off molting business---I'd rather they molted in the winter than in the summer!
Go to Top of Page

lavendermom
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Jennifer
Houghton Lake MI
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  7:44:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh, the thrill when you find that first egg in the coop! Congratulations!
I would also like to agree with the posts on the roosters...we always end up with a rooster in our pullet order and this year was no exception. We got two! Again! They won't be sticking around. I have yet to meet a rooster that does not tear up the poor, pretty hens during the winter months when they are cooped up more often. It is so ugly to see those naked backs! Not to mention even the nicest roosters will turn on you for no apparent reason whatsoever! My daughter had a "pet" rooster attack her and bite her nose hard once. And last year "Big Daddy" attacked me for no reason while I was sitting in the yard reading a magazine! That was the last straw for me and I told my husband that I refused to own anymore roosters! The two we've got now (Big Daddy #2 and Big Shot...my children can't help themselves, they must name every animal on this farm!) will be stew before the fall weather arrives!

Jennifer
www.fromfieldsandgardens.com
www.homesteadblogger.com/fromfieldsandgardens
www.farmsteadorganics.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  03:38:06 AM  Show Profile
I may have to try the brooder lamp.

Some of the older ladies are now laying what I call dinosaur eggs. They are big with no distinct points on either end, rather oblong and chunky looking. Makes filling an egg carton for transport a challenge.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  03:42:30 AM  Show Profile
OH! And I think the Millefleur (way bad sp) has finally started laying too. I keep finding a perfect, small, darker brown egg under our now very broody OEGB. Her eggs are tiny and a bit lighter like the silkies, so its not her. She sure is a good mom. Funny to see her trying to set with 3 standard eggs crammed beneath her too. Poor gal
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  4:37:42 PM  Show Profile
Ooohhh I love Mille Fleur's (you spelled it right the trick is SAYING it!) I have a Salmon Faverolle that will lay pink/brown eggs when the time comes. I have Ameracauna's, Welsummers, Blue Andalusian's and Brown egg layers, but then again, I do work at a hachery. I hope we weren't the ones that sent LavenderMom roo's! Yikes!

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
www.harvestthymefarm.com
Sister #279 (big grin!)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic new hens finally laying Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page