Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Transplanted fruit tree question?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Transplanted fruit tree question? Next Topic  

Cheryl Severeide
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  8:36:21 PM  Show Profile
My husband & I just purchased a small cherry tree *with 4 varieties grafted on it..from a local nursery, There are no cherries on it..( next year ws our hopes. It's probably a couple years old. It really has some drooping leaves and looks kinda limp.. could it be in shock
from transporting it and planting it a week ago? We have given it plenty of water..?

Life situations and circumstances change quickly, often without notice... Take each challenge with a positive attitude.

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  07:59:14 AM  Show Profile
It could be in shock. When transplanting anything, I always dig the hole first, fill it with water and let it drain, unpot the plant/tree/bush and stick it in the hole. Then, fill the hole, with the plant in it with water again and allow to drain. Then fill the dirt back in and water that. All of this is done in the early morning when it's coolest. I seldom get shocky plants that way. It still happens, but not very often. Keep tending to your little tree, but don't over-water it. It should bounce back once the roots get over their traumatic transition.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  01:49:19 AM  Show Profile
this happened to my apple tree. Use lisa's advice, I also will cover my soil with a mulch to hold in moisture.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  06:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i would be interested in hearing how the tree produces after it matures a bit! we have thought to graft fruit stock onto birch roots so they might make fruit here. peace connie
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Transplanted fruit tree question? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page