Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Question: Want to give my niece something
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Question: Want to give my niece something Next Topic
Page: of 2

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  12:56:56 PM  Show Profile
ballet related because she's CRAZY over tutu's and pretty ballerina's right now. And, I was a professional ballerina up until my early 20's, so I thought maybe Ava might like a photo of me, taken in my tutu or something. I have some lovely photos that were done by several professional photographers in NYC, and a journalist in London--they're just sitting in boxes.

Is that narcissistic or silly? She'll be 4 in December, and is a VERY intelligent, advanced 3 1/2 so I think she'd get it.... I just thought she might like to make the connection because she always says, "Now I look like a REAL ballerina!!' when she has a tiara on or something, and maybe she might say, "Aunt Jonni looks like a real ballerina!"

Her mother has told her that I used to be a dancer and she's always so excited to talk about "plies" and first position, so I was just thinking....

Any thoughts?

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  1:07:22 PM  Show Profile
I think that would be a sweet gift. Maybe you could sew her a copy of one of your costumes (a simple one- I know they can be very involved) so that she could be "twins" with you. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  1:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- I think that would be sweet!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  2:29:12 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I have an idea!!! Take it or leave it but I think it's a cute one.

How about make her a ballet bag (like a little duffel bag) with your picture(s) on it? It could be pink with lace or whatever you like with your picture(s) on it just like a store-bought one only better! I bet she would love having a place to put all of her pretties and she'd see you every time she'd want to twirl around.

The printable fabrics that go through your ink jet printer work great for this! You scan and print the pictures right from home and wa-la, you are cooking with gas, girl.

I'm impressed...professional ballerina. Wow!

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  2:53:32 PM  Show Profile
Jami, that's a wonderful idea!!! I guess I felt a little weird giving her a photo of ME..it's like when we were in school and you got your school photos and you cut them out to give to people--and then had second thoughts. Like, "I bet they'll think I'm a snob offering to give them a photo of myself!"

Great idea! She's WAY into pink right now, and I think I even have some pink canvas lying about that I can reuse.

Great thinking!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  2:58:01 PM  Show Profile
Jamie,

what a great idea. I think any little girl would love that.

Farmgirl #170

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  3:55:20 PM  Show Profile
I think a photo of you in a frame, and on a bag or anything at al would be lovely. I'm sure she already has the Angelina Ballerina books and probably the little dolly too, Angelina is a mouse, those books are so sweet. Hey, do we ge to see some of these photos, I'm sure thay are lovely....aren't you a great auntie...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  6:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,
I think the dance bag is a greatt idea too, only don't tell her it is you in the photos. See if she can guess.

I kept my toe shoes from when I danced, and my daughter drools over them.
I loved being in pointe class, until my second toe grew longer than my first toe. *sigh*

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  6:15:45 PM  Show Profile
Awww, shucks (kickin' the dirt), you girls just inspire me, that's all.

I really can't wait to see what you create Jonni. Please show us when you get it done.

Jami in WA

Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  06:58:18 AM  Show Profile
IO Love the idea of a Tote bag too.. The picture was the same line I was going with jonni.. But i was thinking a Quilted Picture Throw..
Do you have any photo's of her in any Ballet things yet?
If you do.. you could have HER pics added to the Quilt too & some of Yours AND even a few Artist ones.. Like a couple copies of Some Degas Prints.. You knows.. These. Yours.. & hers all printed & copied on the fabric for a really sweet little quilted throw for her!
Talk about something awesome to cuddle up with!!

Kathie..
Farm Girl Sister #29

"In a World Where You Can Be Anything, Be Yourself.."

www.nitegardener.blogspot.com

www.NitegardenerLite.blogspot.com

http://www.nitegardener.etsy.com/

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  07:18:10 AM  Show Profile
Real cute idea, Kathie.

Jami in WA

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  08:30:31 AM  Show Profile
Great idea, too, Kathie...I wonder, since I'm not a quilter, if I could get by with some sweatshirts and do the transfer on to squares like that? Pink, fuschia and white sweats should be easy to come by at either thrifts or cheap enough new. I'd really like to try to do this for little Ava, she's soooo sweet.

The only picture I have seen thus far with her dance "attire" is on their little blog where she has her first ponytail EVER and says, "Now I look like a REAL ballerina, Mommy!" I'll see if Liv, my sil has any others that I could use.

Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  08:33:36 AM  Show Profile
I think that would be a wonderful gift. Especially if you could find one of those fancy little silver or beaded frames to put it in. I have the same photo of my great grandmother sewing in a beautiful old frame that was given to me as a young girl. Yours is a gift that can be treasured for generations to come. Maybe you could add a secret special note inside the frame for her to find someday when she is older... telling her of your amazing ballerina days. I think that telling our "her-story" to the next generation is the most important gift we can give to our families.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  4:45:15 PM  Show Profile
Here's one that I was thinking of using...It reminds me of the posters I had on my wall as a young girl. Ava is still a LITTLE Angelina Ballerina, but it might work

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  6:57:54 PM  Show Profile
Jonni you look gorgeous! In white tights no less...Post some more!!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  7:02:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lisa...the tights are those seamed Capezio pink "hold and stretch" which I LOVED! My legs were never tired...well, almost.

These were all taken on the same day, and the other larger, black and white photos, I have moved but will find and send to you. They used to be up and now they're somewhere in the "storage" room (aka, the soon to be-no more dining room, and now the future__________)

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  7:07:25 PM  Show Profile
Love it!!!! I gotta tell Linda to check these out.. She rarely ventures out of barnyard buddies & garden gate! I see Russian hands, no?
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  7:10:07 PM  Show Profile
A la Madame Nemtchinova :) I will send you the black and whites that were taken in London when I find them. I wore a real Victorian gown for a performance and the photo still was taken in that dress, and another is just a still of me in a long, white satin 40's nightgown for fun. Jus really likes that one :)

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  7:18:25 PM  Show Profile
Those are memories that you can show generations to come!!
When Ava gets a little older, show her the films of Nemtchinova w/Katherine Healy at a young age(courtesy of YouTube) I loved Katy's lines, & although she was not a beautiful girl, she exuded joy...
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  7:51:26 PM  Show Profile
Jonnie these are so pretty I am so proud to call you my adopted daughter,I need one of these so I can see it everyday, WHAT A BEAUTY

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  07:47:46 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Jonni...breathtaking photos.

Jami in WA

Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:29:37 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful pictures. My friend runs a ballet school. one of the crafts they do with the little kids is letting them decorate old toe shoes with glitter and paint. The kids love it and then hang them on thier wall.

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  10:46:45 AM  Show Profile
wow - those photos are just lovely, as are you. What company did you dance with? You may have already said, but I missed it. Love them so much!

There are some nice story books out now about ballet. And I found a 30 minute CD of a real ballet class filmed at the Royal Academy in London, and she watches it and gets her leotard on and dances along. She loves that CD.

I also got her a child's membership to the Tallahassee Ballet. She gets to go back stage after the performances and meet the dancers, and she loves that!!! Is there a company near where she lives that you could get her tickets for the Nutcracker and maybe even take her along?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 22 2008 10:51:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  11:58:19 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, very much :) What a great idea, Laura!! I just happen to have a few of those old pointe shoes lying about at my mother's. Hopefully, the smell is gone by now--still one of my favorites (rosin + feet) :0

Jeannie, I was with the Joffrey Ballet's junior company after I returned home from England, but only for a short few months before my injury completely disallowed me to even take class. When in England, I originally auditioned for the London Festival Ballet, and had several callbacks, but instead, joined a small, modern company that my friend, Erika had started. I was 17 and it was a working pass to stay in a country I loved :)

So wonderful that you take her to the ballet and that she meets the dancers afterward! I loved that as a little girl, too. Ava will turn 4 this year, so maybe this Christmas we can go to the Nutracker performed by the Cincinnati Ballet--I surely wish they'd do Sleeping Beauty though--after you've danced the Nutcracker so many times, the music kind of "gets to you" :)

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  6:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,
you are absolutely positively elegant !!! I think those are amazing pictures. You are truly beautiful.
I think whatever you decide to give her will be wonderful.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  6:31:08 PM  Show Profile
Jonni - I know what you mean about having enough of the Nutcracker!!!! Year after year, it can grow old.

Here is a little of my background in dance. I was a member of a small company in the mid-west when I was a teen. Copper Coin Ballet in Illinois. I studied from the time I was 6-19. Since I moved here, I have been on the fund-raising end. I chaired a large arts and crafts fair (72 vendors) called the Sugarplum Fair for over 16 years, with all proceeds going to the Tallahassee Ballet. Now I am president of the Friends of Dance for Florida State University. http://dance.fsu.edu

If you research it, you will find FSU has one of the best collegiate dance programs in the country. I have met Suzanne Farrell (she is so nice!!!), who teaches at FSU, and I love dance, and have since my youth. I never had the body of a true dancer, but it certainly appears that you do. But I love it anyway, and try to help young dancers. My daughter never felt the fire and love of dancing, but maybe my granddaughters will. It does not really matter. I just like to give them the opportunity to understand the loveliness and discipline of dance. I have seen the Joffrey twice. Great company. So glad you had the chance to be a part of that. The Cincinnati Ballet is a great company. Hope your niece can go to a performance there! To her, Tchaikovsky will be new! :)

My dance teacher from childhood studied under Balanchine but also had an injury that cut short her career. She was skating at Rockefeller Center, and someone skated over her foot and permanently injured her arch. So she came home and started a local company, whcih I grew up in.

Suzanne Farrell was Balanchine's muse, which I am sure you know. She and I are near the same age (she is older, but you would never know), and she is still wonderful, beautiful, kind and lovely.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 22 2008 6:45:01 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Family Matters: Previous Topic Question: Want to give my niece something Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page