Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Who wanted my Rose of Sharon seed pods?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Who wanted my Rose of Sharon seed pods? Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  5:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirl sisters, I've posted about this before, so forgive the repetition, but this is driving me crazy. About a year ago, maybe more, there was a thread about Rose of Sharon bushes, and as a result of that, I promised someone I'd send seed pods, and even some little saplings, of my vintage bushes. I'm almost certain that this farmgirl sent me postage money. I have the feeling it was someone on the west coast, maybe Washington state? I forget what horrible combination of things happened, but I never sent the seeds et cetera, and in fact lost the address and everything. Does this sound familiar to you? Can you step up and claim your goodies, which I'm happy to send as soon as this year's blossoms set seed? If you can shed any light on this, I'd much appreciate it. Thanks!

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  7:00:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mara! While it's not ME you're looking for, I was wondering if you had any EXTRA'S available. If so, I'd like to buy some from you! 2 Questions though--- Will they grow in partial shade and do they need LOTS of water? Can they tolerate a bit of drought once established? (Ok, so I asked THREE questions) I hope you find who you're looking for! Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  9:20:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mara,
I was wondering the same thing. Would you happen to have extras available? I am in zone 8.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  9:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hi mara, how cold tolerant are rose of sharon? i would dearly love to try them in alaska! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  2:09:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm happy to send seed pods to anyone who wants them, no charge. (The person who sent me money for postage had asked for an actual sapling, and I've since thought better of trying that. I'd like to refund that farmgirl's money when I send her the seed pods, so I'm still anxious to hear from her.)

Ya'll will have to wait until mid-autumn, though, since they've only just started blooming now, and will need time to do their thing. Connie, I really don't know about cold tolerance. They like some shade, though, Tracy, so I think you'd be fine. Brenda, I'm pretty sure zone 8 would be okay. My bushes are in shade -- more than just partial, too. As to drought tolerance, even though I think of all the mallows as lovers of moist fertile earth, they did fine through the last four years here, one of the worst dry spells in history, and the soil where they're growing is nothing to write home about -- just good old fashioned Virginia clay. They seem pretty hardy in general. Remind me about this in mid-October or so, send your snail-mail addies & I'll send out the seeds to whoever want's 'em. I will tag the branches that are pale pink and the more fuschia-tinted ones, so I can know which was what when it comes time to collect they're seeds. The bushes have both colors, isn't that wild? Cross pollination, I guess, or maybe someone grafted them 'way back in time.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  5:49:57 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary,
I think it was Alee, you were going to send me a sapling as well, but I don't think I sent any postage because you decided it wouldn't do very well. I just haven't been on as much and missed it you were here asking before. Sorry.
Thank you for your diligence. I received some seeds of Rose of Sharon last fall, so share with others.
Carol Sue

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  11:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
mara hubby doesnt think they would grow here. we get to 50 below quite often. it is so hard to find flowering plants that will winter over here. i keep trying tho! *grin* we have lovely wild iris, fireweed, and tons of tiny little flowers in blues, whites and yellows. guess i will be happy with them while i look for cold tolerant flowers. i had a lilac growing but the moose ate it last winter *sigh* i might try peonies. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  8:42:09 PM  Show Profile
Carol Sue, yes! I remember now. I was so sure it was someone in Washington. The issue I encountered was that a sapling of any size worth bothering with would involve a very long tube mailer, plus something inside to keep it damp, which might be an awful mess, plus pretty expensive to mail. I notice that nurseries send out plants wrapped plastic with some damp sphagnum moss or something similar, but the plants are very small. I'll contact Alee and see if she would like some pods. If she sent me any money, of course I'll return it. You're quite sure I don't owe you?
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  8:45:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by eskimobirdlady

... i had a lilac growing but the moose ate it last winter *sigh*...

Connie, you're a riot! That really made me laugh. Well, yes, I imagine your husband's right. I wonder if Lenten Rose would grow there. It blooms here in January, even in snow, though it doesn't get as cold here, of course. You must find it very challenging to garden up there! Good for you for giving it try after try.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  12:23:26 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
mara that moose has my name on ti! sadly i forgot to put in for the cow permit so she is gonna be around another year! she better not eat what is left of my lilac or i might forget that i dont have cow permit!
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  08:12:28 AM  Show Profile
Cow permit?
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  08:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
oops sorry forgot not everyone hunts! with a regular hunting lisence you can hunt a bull moose, but to hunt a cow moose in our area you have to enter a drawing for a permit. some areas they have a cow hunt without a permit. i normally dont hunt cows because killing a bull will not diminish the population in the long run but killing a cow you have kill as many as 15 or so moose! i figure this cow owes me!! lol peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  9:05:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by eskimobirdlady

oops sorry forgot not everyone hunts! with a regular hunting lisence you can hunt a bull moose, but to hunt a cow moose in our area you have to enter a drawing for a permit. some areas they have a cow hunt without a permit. i normally dont hunt cows because killing a bull will not diminish the population in the long run but killing a cow you have kill as many as 15 or so moose! i figure this cow owes me!! lol peace connie in alaska

Connie, did we decide that Rose of Sharon wouldn't grow well fro you in Alaska? I'l sending out some seed pods to Brenda in Lousiana and could send you some as well, if you want to give them a try.

I realize this is a little late to be sending them.l We've had such weird weather all autumn that the pods didn't really dry out until pretty late, but it was too damp out to harvest them -- they do better if they dry naturally on the branches rather than in the house. You can bury the seeds shallowly now, or wait until spring thaw. They're pretty hardy. You can also start them indoors, as you would any other seeds, and set them out in APril or May.

Let me know your address if you'd like to try some of the seeds.

Mara
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Who wanted my Rose of Sharon seed pods? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page