Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 When the neighbors are all doom and gloom...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic When the neighbors are all doom and gloom... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  1:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Even as bad as thing seem, I try to remain bright about our future. I really don't watch the news because with my hubby deployed, I have enough to worry about and don't want to panic everytime I read about something in the middle east. I have one neighbor who asks me if I watched the news and I told her numerous times I don't, I don't want to know and I think I can pretty much figure it out for myself. She STILL insists on telling me all the doom and gloom stories and I have to actually come home and play some music and dance or get on here and see what everyone is up too, or do something creative to keep my mind from whirling into a pit of doom. I have come right out to people who start getting all doomy gloomy that I need to keep thinking positive for my husband and I remove myself from the conversation. I try to change the subject with this woman but it always comes back around to doom and gloom. YIKES!!! What's a happy farmgal to do???

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  2:10:26 PM  Show Profile
My dear deceased dad would say
Look on the sunny side
No matter what,
Tell the people again that you are not watching the news
and that you really don't want to hear about it
Try to change the subject as fast as possible
If'n that don't work. tell them you have to go
or something, maybe they will get the idea.
I had a friend who never wathched the news eighter
She said nothing good ever happened when the news was on anyways.
So, hang in there and think positive.
I realize it must be hard in your siuation.
Hugs, to you. Pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MissLorri
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Lorri
North East Texas
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  2:31:40 PM  Show Profile
I do not watch the news either. I have often thought that if people did not watch they would live with a little less stress and the time saved from sitting in front of the gloom tube would be better utilized elsewhere. There is nothing new under the sun.

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway....John Wayne
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  3:24:38 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the news is not something I care to watch.
Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com

Edited by - electricdunce on Aug 31 2009 2:13:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  3:42:54 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I think we are all with you. If i turn the news on its only to watch the weather but most of the time I just get online to ck it. Id rather be on here with you gals and hear all your adventures it helps me get through each day! Stay strong! Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  4:16:48 PM  Show Profile
I don't watch the news anymore, or *any* TV for that matter. I'd much rather do as you said, Heather, and browse through here and see what everyone else is up to! ;) Thank you to you and your DH for the sacrifices you make.

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  4:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I had to sit with a family who watched the news ferociously and believed every word of it. I realized that things were really skewed the first time I deployed to the Persian Gulf and my parents would ask me "Did you guys do this or that?" when it couldn't have been farther from the truth. It kinda makes me laugh because just today people were complaining about the hot weather here..um...we ARE in central Texas, but they prefer just to complain. I look at it as an opportunity to make some sweet tea and eat ice cream.

Karin- I had to snicker a little at your post because my mom reacted the same way except it was "how could this happen??" Um...do you want the full details or "how are YOU going to have child?" Well, see, they give you this epidural..yes I fight stupidity and gloom with humor, always have, always will.

I thank you for your thank you Molly. It really has been our honor to serve and we appreciate thank you's more than you would ever know.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  7:51:07 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I say keep your peace of mind...it's more important you do that and keep the home fires burning while DH is away than to lose focus of what you need to do to please the neighbors and lending them an ear. I know that sounds mean, but sometimes you have to live and let live...the old you do your thing and I'll do mine scenario.

Do your thang, girl.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  08:06:37 AM  Show Profile
Just finished reading "One Man's Wilderness" by Dick Proenneke, an amazing man who lived up in the alaskan wild for thirty years. This is what he had to say;

"News never changes much. It's just the same things happening to different people. I would rather experience things happening to me than read about them happening to others... I honestly don't believe that man was meant to know everything going on in the world, all at the same time... the poor guy with all the immediate problems of his own is burdened with those of the whole world."

The fella and I don't watch the news, I get my news from the net or radio. My parents are CNN junkies- my mum's got the tv on all the time, I don't understand. I can't keep up with them. I just say, "No, didn't hear about that, hm." And leave it at that. Focus on the things that make you happy, Heather!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  08:10:40 AM  Show Profile
Meg, have you ever seen his video diary? They show it on PBS every year, and I've watched it 8 years in a row, I think. He was an amazing man, for sure.

We listen to NPR on the way in to work and back home from work. That's about as much news as I need. I do listen to our local weather, but after that, it's off to bed. We have so many shootings that our news is taken up with sadness like that, so I get the simplified weather forecast, and I'm out....

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  08:58:44 AM  Show Profile
My mom is a talk show junkie and it is sooo depressing. She listens to them from the time she gets up in the morning to the time she goes to bed at night, and shares all of the information that she hears with her family.

I just listen politely and change the subject to something more positive.

www.narrowgatemorgans.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  2:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Sure have Jonni! That's how I ended up with the book- I was so glued to the documentary that I had to go out and get it. I've read it numerous times now, and it still makes me think. He was old-fashioned and yet, way ahead of his time.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  2:32:44 PM  Show Profile
Meg makes a good point with what that man says.

I rarely watch the news. I pretty much only like the weather. I know there is evil in the world and I pray every day for it to be a better place. My knowing about it, wont change it. I dont think of it as keeping my head in the sand. Its just my way of staying more positive.

BTW, if you ever watch like the BBC news on public tv, they say a lot of things differently than the USA mainstream media. They will actually report the good things that happen. Thats important to me to know the good side.

Thanks to your husband and to you for his service to our country.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  2:54:15 PM  Show Profile
heather, i say if your neighbor insists on telling you the news, you can always stick your fingers in your ears and start humming a tune!!! maybe that will teach her you REALLY don't care to hear about it...

i don't watch the news either. i'll get depressed if i stay on top of it. i listen to NPR and will skim the news when i check my e-mail... hubby is on top of it enough for the both of us, so i figure if there's something interesting or important he wants me to know, he'll tell me.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  3:08:22 PM  Show Profile
I'll quick peruse the local headlines to see if there's something I need to know about, but other than that, I listen to NPR on the way to work too, Jonni. I like morning edition because they usually go in-depth to something that I find interesting or uplifting. It's not just full of over-dramatic "sound bytes" like the "news" is elsewhere.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  4:09:51 PM  Show Profile
I may or may not catch the news. I don't do a lot of TV but some times my DH has it on. I think some people just love Gloom & Doom. Today my DH's 93 yr.old gramma asked me if I heard about the girl being killed about 3 miles from my house I said yes I heard that who told you? She said oneof her aids told her. We have asked this same lady not to tell Gram any bad news as she obsesses about everything. She even took the TV from her room because she hated to see everything that was on it. But this one lady likes gloom & Doom. I'm with you I want to live in my happy little corner of the world.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  4:31:46 PM  Show Profile
I don't watch the news. The only reason I have a TV is to watch DVD's and then, not very often. When my relatives start talking doom and gloom, I either leave the room or just tune them out. I don't associate much with co-workers who are negative either. Sometimes I whistle the song "Whistle a Happy Tune" from the King and I. It really does work.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  06:12:23 AM  Show Profile
Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't watch the news either. I manage to stay current, but don't dwell

I am a joyful person most every day and can't understand why others are so down

Life is way too short.

Sorry for the fact I get a big kick about telling silly stories about the chickens and the dog

It pleases me to read y'all's happy posts most every day

Sorry for the fact that some people's cups are half empty.

MY cup runneth over!!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic When the neighbors are all doom and gloom... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page