graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:50:38 PM  Show Profile
So last year we had a hard frost on June 27 and my zucchini died, with everything else we had going on (issues with step-kids) I felt like that was a sign to just get the sentient beings in my household through the summer and worry about the plantlife next year.
Well....two days ago I was thinking, "hmm looks like the zucchini is going to make it this year" and what happens, sure enough a frost on July 10!!!!
Most of the leaves turned black but the little ones still look okay so I won't give up hope quite yet.
I don't know if I should take the dead leaves off or not
Any ideas? Oh and it's not like we live in the mountains or the arctic either. I can't believe this
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Jul 12 2008 7:51:25 PM

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  8:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
oh amy that is so frustrating! last year we had snow in june! but then i am in alaska and that is to be expceted lol. i dont think i would mess with the frozen leaves just yet. keep an eye on them and if they seem to be affecting the rest of the plant then remove them. maybe you better watch the weather forecast in july and be ready to cover your plants! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  8:15:43 PM  Show Profile
Well Amy, nothing froze in my garden but just down the road two people had the temp at 29 degrees two nights ago. Very strange for July. Two days before that it was over 100. We don't live in the artic or the mountains either. Not that far from you, actually.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  6:53:57 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I guess I'm back to watching the weather report - was glued to the news all winter to find out how bad the commute would be (we had the second most snow on record this year and only missed the all time record by an inch or so ) anyway, I thought I was done with that for the summer.
Marcia, we too had 100 degrees or so just a couple of days before, very weird weather. Where in Washington are you?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  08:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Amy,
Isn't that Crazy? One of our venders at the Farmer's Market works out the WSU experiment station and he was commenting on the frost up there, I thought he was kidding because we have been so HOT...you are so right. Crazy Weather!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  08:37:20 AM  Show Profile
ok, so it's not just me.....AmyGrace,(i'm just 30min down the road from you) my garden has been struggling too! With the the LONG winter, late Spring, sudden 90degree weather & then back to cold & now hot again, my tommatos are confused & slow to turn red and all my little zuc's are turning yellow, not tomention my melons & beans are slow growing. My cucumbers died. But the good news is I have a fair amount of bell peppers and my blueberrys did great....Gardening can be a real challenge up here in the Pacific North West.

Hey Marcia, we have a little shop in town called "Celtic Hearts"...sells beadery & stuff.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  8:14:38 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, the Spokane area harvests are going to be wacky this year. We were up at Greenbluff and there aren't even cherries or raspberries on yet!!

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  10:29:55 PM  Show Profile
ok, so now I feel a wee bit better, my Lapin Cherry tree gave me 7 cherries. As for my raspberries, I got 1....wahoo, a bumper crop! lol!

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  4:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Amy and Grace,
I'm 120 miles south of Spokane, 30 miles west of Lewiston-Clarkston.

We've planted corn at least twice. I've lost count. The tomatoes are finally starting to come around. The beans look great. Good news is I picked 5 blueberries. I was so excited. We planted cucumbers twice too. Now they look fine.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  6:14:11 PM  Show Profile
ok, I am thinking it's not just me,,,,not that I am happy your gardens are not doing well either, I was just begining to think my 'green thumb' turned brown!!! lol!
But next year,,,,game on! We'll kick butt or at least we'll kick some dirt around! hahaha!
"Gardeners know all the good Dirt!"

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  6:19:54 PM  Show Profile
We should all be thankful that we don't farm for a living. Can you imagine what the poor farmers must be going through. It's been so dry here I'm seriously thinking of only "letting go" of trying to grow flowers that require so much more water than the ones that do great here--thyme, catmint, lavender, wild yarrow and St. John's Wort. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  6:21:13 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to mention, Jim is in charge of the vegetable garden. Finally learned after 4 years the secret is to water, water, water and water somemore. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  8:30:46 PM  Show Profile
I know, my gardening motto makes me sound like a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, "wait till next year". Our cherry tree has lots on it but the robins have been circling and we are going camping this weekend, sigh...
Marcia, are you in Pomeroy?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  5:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Yes Amy. Do you know somebody here? Everybody does.

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  08:06:51 AM  Show Profile
Marcia,
Actually I was just there for a high-school baseball game this spring, really nice baseball field. I think though, that there have been kids from Pomeroy that come to the church camp that my dad runs, it is on lake Coeur d'Alene.
That is a beautiful area
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:22:44 AM  Show Profile
ok, determined not to let this goofy weather get the best of me, I transplanted 30 zucchini seedlings and am heading out in a few minutes to water them before I head off to work...wish me luck! I figure w/30 plants at least 3 should survive!!! right!?!?
Or,,, I'll have a Wazoo load of zucc's... lol~
Have a great gardening day!

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  5:19:45 PM  Show Profile
I hope that works, I think I have resigned myself to buying zucchini at the farmer's market again. After all the zucchini I had two years ago it just feels wrong to pay money for it!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  7:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
oh my! 30 zuchinni plants?? you will have them coming out of everywhere! your friends will start hiding when they se you coming with zuchinni! perhpas you can sell them at a road side stand if they all make? i am hoping to get enough to make a zuchinni casserole that hubby loves so much. its not looking promising as we dont get a second planting here and the 2 surviving plants arent even putting out blossoms. buyign them i the store is usually not do-able since they want over $2 a pound when they are on sale!! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  8:10:38 PM  Show Profile
wowzer! $2 a pound... back in California, they literally grew like weeds! I should know, they nearly took over my garden.
I will be baking zucchini bread & freezing the loafs.....'cuz I am sure my neighbors will be hiding from me if I show up at their doorsteps with yet another basket of zucchinis...LOL!

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  2:01:05 PM  Show Profile
I had a friend who was a pastor in Chewelah and she used to have to lock her doors, only during zucchini season, because people would come in and leave zucchinis
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  9:21:52 PM  Show Profile
ok, now thats funny!!!!
Attack of the Killer Zucchinis....hahaha!

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  9:34:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh...I'm starting to do that. Ya know, leave zucchini on peoples porches or in the back of their cars if the doors aren't locked. I'm taking some to work with me tomorrow....wahahaha.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  09:24:25 AM  Show Profile
Marcia,
don't forget to do this in the "dark of night, wearing a black cape" as you stealthly sneak about town leaving zucchini's on peoples door steps, while humming the "Mission Impossible" tune...lol!

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  7:29:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm predicting a rash of drive-by zucchini drops in Eastern Washington this summer

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  8:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so funny! The first year that I grew a garden I planted like 5 or 6 different things and the only thing that grew was the zucchini! Mom was a trooper and put it in everything- even cookies! Around here people will leave them in the weirdest places- mailboxes, in your car, porches etc etc. I am planting some tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  2:37:50 PM  Show Profile
Well I got rid of all of the ones I took to work with me. I made a great zucchini casserole the other night for dinner. Now I need to check those things again today. I can feed them to the chickens but they don't like them all that well. Sometimes I really miss the pigs.(Never thought I'd say that!)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic My zucchini froze....again Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page