tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  07:22:33 AM  Show Profile
Does anybody out there have a clever way of taming the Tupper/Gladware containers and lids in your cupboards? It's almost worth not saving the leftovers not to have to dig through the stuff!

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  07:54:07 AM  Show Profile
Tiffany, if we get an answer I will forever be grateful. I straighten the cabinet that holds the "stuff" and in a couple of days it seems that when I open it a beast jumps out and gets me. The saddest part is I live alone and guess who messes up her space ?? Well, I do get some hlep from grandchildren while they visit....

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

Park Avenue
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Michele
Paradise Valley Alberta
Canada
57 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  08:22:17 AM  Show Profile
I did find keeping all the gladware, and lunch size stuff in a drawer helped. Or in a small rubbermaid container inside the cupboard. That way at least it is all contained, and easier to find.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  08:53:18 AM  Show Profile
My cabinet also is always a mess. Wouldn't it be nice to have the containers be a regulation size so that they just fit inside each other for storage? Instead we have oblong ones, square ones, round ones, etc. UGHHHH!
For the lids I have two rectangular Tupperware containers that are about 4" tall and I stack all the square lids in one (on their ends so they stand up and I can see them) and the round ones in another. The most astonishing thing is when I go to clean out the space and end up with extra lids and no container. What's up with that?

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  09:22:26 AM  Show Profile
This thief is also kin to the sock theif....One sock where in the heck is the other...Same story here...who took the containers and left the lids?
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  09:37:21 AM  Show Profile
My DH takes a lunch to work everyday so I know what you mean, funny thing is yesterday I cleaned my kitchen, (now it's so clean you can eat off the dishes!!) anyway I took all the gladware etc. matched it with lids, if it didn't have a match I threw it away, put all of it in a box in my bottom cupboard, don't know how long this will last but helps if they have the lid with them even if they do take up more room

http://bumpercrop.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  12:33:11 PM  Show Profile
Who DOES take the container and leave the lid? And why do I put the lonely lid back in the cupboard as if it's mate will magically appear? (just like the lone sock that's been in my drawer for the past three months!) I like the separation of lid shapes idea and I agree that storing the containers with the lid may be the only solution, even though it takes up space.

However, being that I'm new here, could someone please clue me in on what DH stands for? I think I've figured out that it has something to do with husband but can't come up with the D part.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  12:50:05 PM  Show Profile
I have a bottom cabinet devoted just to plastic containers and I use a shoe box to hold the lids at one side. Once in awhile, I (gasp) throw some away. Once day I looked at one of my thirty year old Tupperware bowls, ruined from children microwaving in it and getting greasy all by itself in the cabinet, and said "I know you have a life long guarantee, but you are outta here!" :) It felt good.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  1:14:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tiffany, DH = dear husband in cyber-talk! Great ideas for taming that cupboard, girls. I like the shoe box idea, jp... will have to get that going. Right now I have my cupboard arranged so that the same shapes are together and stacked, and I put the lids underneath them. Seems to work ok, except when I pull something out too fast! The disadvantage to my cupboard (the only one available) is it's directly over my dryer, so I have to do a bit of reaching. Hmmm... gotta figure out how to have a pantry!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  1:18:22 PM  Show Profile
What I've been doing lately, is using the huge clear plastic lid from the tupperware cake carrier as a container for all the other bowls, lids, etc. It still overflows, especially when I clean out the refrigerator and all my containers are clean at once, but it is containing them for the most part. I have it in the laundry room in an upper cabinet, so it's a reach, but I can pull out the whole thing and look for what I want.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  6:14:44 PM  Show Profile
That is a great idea, too....I use my big cake container to hold lettuce in the fridge because we eat so many salads, I need lots of lettuce. It works great for keeping the lettuce crisp.

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 15 2005 6:15:10 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Taming the Tupperware Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page