Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  3:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
GRRRR! I declare war on my yard! Yup! WAR!!!

Not only is the scrappy grass invaded with weeds: foxglove, stranglevine (devil vine), and common mallow; Today I found what looks suspiciously like BURDOCK! ACK NO WAY NO NO NO NO! We had burdock invade our yard in Idaho and NO WAY am I going to let it invade this yard! It made poor Sky-Dog's life outside a misery. Those burrs get everywhere and with her long fur it wasn't odd for her to come int with burrs everywhere from between her toes to her face.

So I took my gallon of vinegar and poured about half of it over the offending weed and I have spent about 2 hours today pulling up weeds.

I have planted some grass and it came up great...in patches. I know the rainstorm washed a lot of the seed away from where I planted it originally so I will re buy and re plant again this weekend.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  7:00:13 PM  Show Profile
Girl, you have got your work cut out for you! Keep at it. You'll win eventually.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  7:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Alee,
The weeds have met thier match! They wont know what hit them... you'll have it beautiful in no time!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  9:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well, phew! I just got in from outside! I even sent Doug out and he raked for about half an hour! We had a lot of dead debris to clear away including garbage and cigarette butts from the oh so kind previous renters. I found all sorts of toy parts, Hot Wheels, an just junk. We also used borax to kill a hill of angry red ants. I pulled more weeds and cleaned up a good half of the back yard (not too big). Tomorrow I will water more and pull more weeds.

We also dug a bunch of rocks out of a nice little raised bed, raked a bunch of leaves, filthy dirt, and garbage out. This is stuff that you wouldn't want composting down so it is now in the dumpster. The soil is all chopped up and then watered down to prepare it for seeds tomorrow. The rocks that were inside the raised bed are now outside the bed and looking pretty. I can hardly wait for tomorrow and more transformations in the back yard! How fun is this! :D

My back yard neighbor is really into growing and such as well so between the two of us we are going to get this yard whipped into shape! I am really looking forward to seeing what it looks like on Saturday after being mowed. Hopefully mowing at a high setting, watering and careful management will start choking out the weeds.

I planted some cucumbers today. I am not sure if they will sprout, grow and produce before the growing season is over, but I couldn't help myself I am also going to get some pumpkin seeds and whatever else I can from the nursery. If it doesn't produce I will be okay with that- I just want to have a garden to tend! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic IT'S WAR!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page