Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What's in your UFO pile??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What's in your UFO pile?? Next Topic  

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  7:34:46 PM  Show Profile
Is there anyone else out there whose unfinished object pile is bigger than the one they actually finish??
I have an apron, a prairie-girl dress, (sewing pile)
a felted bag that needs handles, a hat that needs felting, mittens, a hat, slippers and a scarf (knitting pile)
I don't know why I'm like this, at work I can't leave till I finish what I'm working on (self-imposed), at home.... well the list doesn't lie.
So, what's in your pile?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  05:55:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey, you just missed the discussion on that very topic! http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21511

I love your list of projects; they sound so neat!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  07:44:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh Amy...do we have room on the forum for a novel-length UFO list? Don't get me started, girl.

I have 3 prairie girl dresses (for myself) to go, 2 sets of Amy Butler lounge pants (one is almost to the machine!), a memory quilt for my newlywed son, a sheepish wall hanging, a couple of totes and 2 table runners and an apron just to start with...some are so buried and I haven't seen them for so long, I kind of forget! Oh yeah, a T-shirt memory quilt that I started for my son when he was in high school....gotta get that one done!

And the beat goes on....

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  1:23:08 PM  Show Profile
lol..novel-length sounds about right. I have a room full of "good intentions" but then Rome wasn't built with good intentions and neither will my kiddos have new summer clothes with good intentions...lol.
I love the thought of calling it UFOs though. Too cute!!
hugs Jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  1:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i think we could have a perpetual ufo confession post. i know that i create more ufos than anything else!

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  2:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Let's see I have a blanket I started on when my youngest was a baby, now she's 6. That was it until my sister brought back the wreath I made her for mother's day. First the kids slammed it in the door a few times so she hung it on the outside wall of her house next to the door. Somehow the dogs got it down and chewed into a bunch of pieces. I'm still not sure if I can save it.

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart." Helen Keller
http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
My shop is finally up and running.. http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  7:43:36 PM  Show Profile
Whoops, didn't realize this was a recent topic...Sorry

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  11:26:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh well, I have new UFO's since that last thread...and the thread is long forgotten (not real thread, the topic thread)!

I did finally complete the last finishes on the 2 Amy Butler Lotus Cami tops yesterday and washed them and now they are in my closet! Whew. The first pair of lounge pants are almost finished and not sure I'm going to like them enough to make another pair...those wide legs are a bit too wide for me, might have to alter the pattern before attempting more.

Jami in WA

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  1:51:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BarefootGoatGirl

i think we could have a perpetual ufo confession post.

Or we could have a UFO challenge. Anybody ever done one of those? They're kinda fun and you can win prizes.

Marcia--who has a room full of UFO's--mostly quilting, some knitting--that I now just refer to as the fabric storage room.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  4:26:06 PM  Show Profile
Marcia, what is the challenge, to see who can finish the most??
That sounds like fun, how does it work?
I know if the challenge was to generate the most UFO's I would have no problem.
Jami, one of my next UFO's is going to be the Amy Butler lounge pants. I have recently finished 5 of her Barcelona skirts, I just started sewing again and that is such an easy pattern that I got stuck in a rut. We are lucky in Spokane; there is a great little sewing shop with a huge selection of Amy Butler fabrics and patterns, that's where I took my sewing classes.

Farmgirl #224

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Jul 11 2008 4:26:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  12:24:42 PM  Show Profile
Amy,
That's the basic idea. Really you're challenging yourself to finish some things. The prizes are just a bonus.

There's a time frame....say 3 months, 4 months, 6 months.....what ever the group wants. Right now I'm in one with my local quilt group that goes for a year. We pay say $5 to start, plus a fat quarter , plus a 12" block. Then for each UFO completed we put either $1 or a FQ or a block in the pot and our name. At the end of the year we divide everything up and start drawing names for winners. That's a little complicated.

The easiest one I was ever in was for 4 months, list 7 UFO's you want to complete, send a FQ to the person in charge. Then for every UFO you complete from your list your name is entered into the pot and you send another FQ to the person in charge. At the end of 4 months winners are drawn from the people entered. I won 27 FQ's in one of those drawings once. I think there were 3 winners. Both of those UFO projects became ongoing.

Those are just two examples. It could work anyway you want it to. Fun and hopefully you get some things finished in the process.

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Wow Marcia, you must have been really productive!!
So is anyone interested in this?
I might post a new thread
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  8:08:47 PM  Show Profile
No....I didn't finish that many things. There were over 100 fat quarters and they drew 4 names as winners.

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  08:18:11 AM  Show Profile
Gracie, we have a new sewing store too and they carry a great line of Amy Butler fabrics...I didn't buy the AB skirt pattern but instead got one from My Favorite Things. Have you seen their patterns? Very cute stuff and multiple styles in one pattern which is nice. I also found some really cute apron patterns from Vanilla House, a new company to me.

I think I'll watch the rest of your compete for finishing UFO's...I have enough pressure in life without putting it in my favorite relaxation spot...my studio. But I will be in the audience for sure!

Jami in WA

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  7:01:22 PM  Show Profile
Now that you mention it Jami, I don't need to add any pressure in my life either, especially when it is in an area that is my relaxation.
I am working on a Favorite Things Prairie Dress right now, and I have made an apron from a Vanilla House apron.

Then I was at the Ben Franklin today and found some really cheap 30's repro fabric so had to buy that, now I need a new pattern for that...and so it goes

What is the name of the sewing shop, is it in E-burg? My husband and I had a weekend getaway in Ellensburg a couple of years ago when we couldn't afford to drive all the way across the state and stay in a hotel both. We had fun!! Good restaurants and shopping, and good fly-fishing (for him)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  7:25:35 PM  Show Profile
Gracie, it's a new store and it's called The Sewing Corral and she is still in the "infant" stages but is building up inventory nicely and carries what people seem to be interested in. It's a general sewing store, not a specialty quilt shop, but I like to sew garments too so it's right up my alley!

Funny, we are twinsies...I am making the prairie dress and the top right now too! In fact, she had 50% close-out of summer fabrics and I bought 12 more yards the other day to make 2 more dresses (with the slip under) and use the leftovers for some aprons for Christmas gifts...now to choose a Vanilla House pattern! I saw that Amy Butler has an apron in her In Stitches book which I just got recently but those Vanilla House aprons are so cute! Which one did you choose?

I didn't mean to hamper the UFO challenge...really! I guess I don't want to take the fun out of my sewing--it really is one of the things I do for ME time.

I still will be in the audience cheering the rest of you on.

Jami in WA

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  08:09:08 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey WA Girls.. when youre all done with the projects we need to have a show and tell.. I'll even host it here in Prosser....A style show of sorts!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  8:25:04 PM  Show Profile
How fun Rene'!! We should do that in conjunction with a HOW2 Farmgirl meeting maybe. I now have a vehicle that gets good gas mileage so driving somewhere for fun is not completely out of the question anymore(I went from 12mpg to 35mpg!!) I am very close to finishing another apron I have been working on, and hopefully the Prairie Girl dress too.

Jami, I did the Friday Night Apron pattern, it is really cute, sort of a "hot mama" apron. That is funny we are working on the same stuff, how far are you on the Prairie Girl pattern, have you tried to turn the ties right side out yet? How did you do it?

I have just discovered I have a problem with patterns....I can't stop buying them. That might be part of the problem with my UFO pile?!?
Cheers y'all
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  08:20:50 AM  Show Profile
Amy Grace:
I didn't turn the ties out. I always revamp patterns as I go to make it easier. I just iron it in half lengthwise and then then in the edges to meet the crease I've just made and then iron that all in half so the raw edges are meeting the original crease and then sew along the edge. I turn under the end pieces before I start so there are no raw edges. I can't stand turning stuff!

I did complete the top last night from the Prairie Dress pattern and have a dress cut out and waiting for the stitching today. I moved the ties to the top bodice instead of the skirt portion because I am short-waisted...looks better. Also, I tried putting the ruffled sleeves on and I look like a goofus so I just serged them off and made the top sleeveless and put a self-made binding (same fabric) around the edge. I think my fabric was too stiff for the ruffled sleeve cap so stuck out too stiffly and looked just sort of silly. I believe the ruffled sleeve cap will look fine if I use a better draping fabric.

I have a pattern fetish and a scissors fetish myself...can't ever have enough of either! I did purchase the Friday Night apron pattern yesterday while I was in purchasing some eyelet for the skirt lining for the dress. The hot mama description is too funny...I agree!

Jami in WA

Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  09:57:03 AM  Show Profile
Sandwhich wraps, a shirt that needs hand hemming, a curvy falling apart market bag. I think I'll finish the wraps and maybe the shirt and toss the bag or repurpose it into yo' yo's.
P~

living a good neighbor life
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  3:54:42 PM  Show Profile
Paige, Your list sounds like mine, I start thinking about what I need to change before I'm even done

Jami - good idea on the ties, I haven't been sewing for real very long so I haven't gotten to revamping patterns too much. I was doing the regular sleeves and I'm not really sure about them either - probably more of the goofus effect. Sleeveless with bias binding is a good idea. I wish I could find some really nice vintage style rayon, there are all kinds of cotton repro prints available but I have looked everywhere for rayon and can't find any - that stuff drapes really nicely. I used to sell vintage clothes and the 30's and 40's rayon prints are my favorite
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  07:09:03 AM  Show Profile
I got my one unfinished project done ...business cards from crayons and index cards . Take peek at my blog to see them. May not be "professional" but falls in my "make it not buy it " I am trying to stay with

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/

Edited by - tribalcime on Jul 20 2008 08:31:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  08:16:56 AM  Show Profile
Lisa - I love the make -it-not-buy-it idea, anytime I can

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  08:56:24 AM  Show Profile
ok, in 1 word... "Everything" hahahaha! I keep starting projects, and am slow to finish...and there is not enough space in this forum to list all my UFO...lol!
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  8:12:28 PM  Show Profile
hey Rene,
I like your idea, that's one way to get us motivated!!!!maybe for next years July 2009 Farm Fair!!!!! lol!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What's in your UFO pile?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page