Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Pumpkin Beer Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  1:03:54 PM  Show Profile
Girls, Thought of a new use for that bountiful pumpkin harvest...beer! Egger Sue...doesn't hubby brew his own ale? Have ya tried the punkin kind? I tried some Blue moon Punkin Ale by Coors last Halloween and it was mighty tasty! This would be great for parties ect...( adults that is...) Here are some sites of interest...
http://www.dogfish.com/beer/seasonales.cfm

http://byo.com/departments/816.html

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  1:54:47 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark,
I have tried several seasonal beers over the years and I guess I'm just a traditionalist. I prefer the heavies like stoudt and heavy ales that are dry and on the hoppy bitter side. I haven't really tried a fruity, spicy or sweet beer that I like enough to buy. Dogfish Head makes a Chicory Stoudt that I like alot and a friend makes an ale with spruce tips that is to die for.Now that says winter and snow to me!!
As for my home "brewser", he started brewing years ago with organic grains because I react to the preservatives in commercial beer ...and he does have quite a repertoire of varieties available here year round from light to dark (Eleven styles at the moment!).That's why we normally host all the parties cuz we couldnt possibly consume all that he makes!(hard as we try!)
Now that the weather is cooling off, I will soon have to make room for him in my kitchen to brew.It's okay though because he always leaves the kitchen much cleaner than he found it!!
Sometime, I'll tell you his retirement plan to open a microbrewery.
or a farmhouse bed and breakfast or ....
ah yes, the ideas are endless....

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Oct 14 2005 2:58:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  1:59:59 PM  Show Profile
Interesting information Medowlark. I especially liked the second link as it gives the recipe and method from several different brewers. I have been going to check all my local micro breweries to see if any of them are doing this ,this year. We have a lot of locals to choose from. Incidentally we collect the spent hops from one of them every week for our compost piles. We get about 6 55 gallon barrels a week to add. This really bulks up our compost so we have lots more to use in the spring. We have so little top soil that we really need all the help we can get.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  4:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Wow Sue, a husband that leaves the kitchen cleaner than he found it?? wow! What a treasure!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  5:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Sue egg baby...Does ya DH have a clone somewhere??? Loves to brew beers and leaves the kitchen immaculate...Heart be still

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  6:38:05 PM  Show Profile
yes, dearhearts....
I am the slob in the family, I'm afraid and he does tolerate my slovenly ways to an extent. He just teaches by example and never really has to say a word. I just feel guilty enough and follow along.
Great Psychological Tactic, eh?!
Clone??I wish he had a clone, perhaps then I wouldn't mind those 80-90 hour work weeks of his....if'n ya know what I'm sayin'Sometimes a gal needs more than a nice clean kitchen!!

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  6:41:05 PM  Show Profile
I love punkin anything! Beer sounds good! I always like Sam Adams Cherry Beer. I guess I'm kind of a beer snob. Had some great micro brews in Kansas!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  6:49:31 PM  Show Profile
Sue Egg babe... I hear ya...my DH is gone for weeks at a time I too am a messy creator...you should see my dining room now....mailart explosion! Drives DH nuts so I try to time it when he is gone... He folds his socks for heaven sakes!!! TRUE CONFESSION TIME! I am only telling this because you all are kindred...I have worn mismatched socks But sometimes my paper messes are oh so sweet!!!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  6:57:16 PM  Show Profile
KIM!!!! Kansas does have some awesome brews!! Must be all the Germanic/Polish/Scandinavian ancestory here...Of which I am German background.... Which microbrewey did you try? There are several in ...Kansas City and one in Lawrence Kansas also has a large Czech ancestory background in Western Kansas around Wilson...their after harvest celebration in July is awesome...polka bands, street dancing, beer, kolaches ( which are Czech pastries filled with plum jam and to DIE for and sausages) hey, WE have to go to this together...there are lots of big, strapping healthy farmguys there too...I'll just look though HEHE...and these guys have BIG farms!

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  7:12:59 PM  Show Profile
I can't remember the names!! I went to Barley's Brewhaus with my folks and tried one that had Tornado in the name, because of Dorothy and Oz. I wanted to try Flying Monkey, since I was on the Oz theme, but they were out. If I move out there we'll go and maybe I'll find my farmer soul mate. I'm just waiting for the jobs to be posted so I can apply!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  7:28:35 PM  Show Profile
Dearest Kim....there are lotsa single farmers....and they are pretty HOT and how shall I put this...well set up.... I have heard of Flying Monkey...sounds pretty dangerous! Bet the tornado brew was pretty stout! Could make the room spin????

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  7:31:05 PM  Show Profile
After 2 I had to take a nap!! lol! And I can usually drink quite a few beers! I was in heaven at that place...99 beers on TAP! No wonder I'm chunky between my love of food good wine and stout beers!

I tried to find a website for farmer match ups but I guess no one has thought of that! lol!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  11:59:36 PM  Show Profile
meadowlark,I drank some of that pumpkin beer last year at halloween time, yummmm I to thought it was pretty tasty
Im planning on getting some more this year, SOON like tomorrow hehe
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  10:54:33 AM  Show Profile
Went to the store yesterday to get some of the pumpkin beer that they had in stock last week and guess what!!! They are OUT! Oh for the procrastination. I shall have to look elsewhere.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  3:31:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Meadowlark, how are you feeling?

Son Patrick is a home brewer. He brews from anything: peaches, kittens, neighborhood children... Really intersting when he was in his LDS years..."No, Elder, beer isn't alcohol. It's...uh, vegetarian..."

Love,
P

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  3:57:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Patricia...um Kitty beer???? What does LDS years mean? Did you by chance mean LSD???? Hey sweetie, keep an eye out for some mailart just for you!!! You and Stu would LOVE pumpkin beer I bet....

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  4:02:33 PM  Show Profile
Meadow, LOL, girl, you crack me up!

Patrick and family were members of the LDS church for a few years. Not the best idea for a home brewer!

I'd love to try pumpkin beer! Trader Joe's used to carry it in L.A. Also, I think, Pavillions. I haven't seen it here in SLC.

Are you feeling better?

Woohoo!!! Mail art!! Peg the PostLady, move those feet!

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  4:06:56 PM  Show Profile
Much better, thanks sistah Pat!!! Sorry, had to ask about the LDS thing...

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Pumpkin Beer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page