Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  2:21:36 PM  Show Profile
I have been working on a small drip system in my vegetable garden. Only two sections so far since I need to find more buckets...I took pictures to show it on my blog. It is easy and fun. I got the idea from the latest issue of Backwoods Home magazine..my second favorite magazine...check it out if you want. If I can do this anyone can..cheap, easy and uses only stuff I had on hand...old 5 gallon buckets, damaged garden hose and 1/4" tubing (well...I did buy that..a big roll for $3 that will last for all the drip I do in my smallish garden) I sort of do a modified (meaning far from perfect) square foot garden and so I get alot in a small space.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  3:33:44 PM  Show Profile
That's great, Aunt Jenny. I'm glad to see your cukes aren't any bigger than mine. It seems everything is so late this year. My corn was "knee high by the 4th of July", though. So, I guess it's really on time, then. I have Rose looking for her copy of that magazine so I can make a copy of it. I want to do that next year.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  5:12:56 PM  Show Profile
I know..that snow and cold lasted forever this year...hopefully the sunshine will last until I can harvest alot of those cukes. I did get a head start with my tomatoes and peppers..but most of the rest is still pretty smallish.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  5:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Jenny- That is so cool! My garden could certainly use something like that. We've had very little rain and lots of hot, sunny days. Not too good for plantlings. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  6:55:05 PM  Show Profile
Jenny
I may be pestering you next yr for your tips on this..but THIS yr.. We have SO much rain(last yr was a major drought)I have a volunteer squash plant that came up & there was a squash on it that I kept checking & it didn't seem to be progressing at all. Well I touched it today & it is SATURATED with water. Yikes! It would be nice to have a happy medium.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  8:16:47 PM  Show Profile
We have had alot of heat and almost no rain this summer. It was about 90 today and feel coolish I swear!! weird!!
We got alot done in the garden tonight while husband was gone. I had all four of my helpers (or slaves as they would call themselves) out there helping me thin the lettuce, mulch and transplant some chard. We finally got the seeds planted for their sunflower house too...I hope it isn't way too late. The drip thing is cool since you just have to fill the 5 gallon bucket and not worry about each plant being drowned, or watering all the weeds...pretty slick!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  05:18:54 AM  Show Profile
I am showing this to my hubby tonight we were just talking about doing something like this. Thanks

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  06:41:38 AM  Show Profile
I saw that article too. It is a great idea. I have an irrigation system with the house I bought last year, but some much of hte water is wasted, I am trying to reroute and then I don't want to water the entire garden, ie weeds. Thanks for sharing this.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic simple homemade drip system Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page