Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  08:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We moved in on the 20th to this rental house and the stove was non functioning. The door didn't seal to the oven, not all the burners worked and it leaked gas into the house. The handy man suggested we use _velcro_ to secure the oven door.

Our landlords bought a nice new looking (but used) stove that said handy man then went and picked up by himself and then dumped in our alley for a week. Unsuprisingly this left it with lots of huge scratches in it and someone scavenged all the working parts out of it.

Finally today we are getting another used stove. It looks to be in good working order. Lets hope that our handy man hooks it up correctly!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  07:54:35 AM  Show Profile
VELCRO!!!!!??? He actually suggested that!!!???

Maybe you guys should hook up the stove yourself!!!

Jamie

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  08:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Say no to Velcro! And maybe you should have somebody else check it over when he gets it hooked up. He doesn't sound too trustworthy to me.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  08:09:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yup! He really suggested that. He also suggested that it wouldn't be much of a problem if "we didn't cook to much" He rolled his eyes at me when I told him I bake everything from scratch and bake bread at least twice a week.

So we got our new stove and the bottom gas outlet has a problem with it, our landlord stopped by last night and fiddle with it. It worked for about 15 minutes and died on us. It just needs a good cleaning I think. He is going to stop by again tonight and fiddle with it again. We are trying to avoid the crazy handy man that doesn't know what he is doing.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  08:16:31 AM  Show Profile
Wow, i would be lost without the oven. I feel for ya Alee, but it sounds like your holding the fort down anyhow! :)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  10:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yeah, we were really hurting there for a while. Luckily we have an electric griddle/grill thingy and a microwave so we were able to get by without too much trauma. Although we did eat out way too much. I think if I never eat another meal out of a paper sack I will be just fine with that! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  6:50:12 PM  Show Profile
Do you have a cast iron dutch oven? Can you have a campfire? There's an alternative! haha Your handiman sounds crazy, alright. Don't let him do any electrical stuff or clean your chimney!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  8:45:49 PM  Show Profile
umm did you report "said handyman" to the landlord/landlady? I would have. that's ridiculous! anyhow..glad you got a working stove.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  9:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yup we reported the handy man to the landlords and we have more to say to them including an instance of mail theft and a very disrespectful attitude. Unfortunately city zoning and ordnances prohibit me from making a campfire in my backyard unless it is contained in metal (grill or store bought campfire thingy). What silliness! I would be safe! I promise! LOL But alas we have no cast iron dutch oven- though I desperately want one!

My oven part is still broken- tomorrow is another day! At least I have the burners now! Oh and broiling. Our broiler is a champ!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  12:10:09 AM  Show Profile
Sorry you're having all this trouble Alee! And regarding the mail theft, let me know if you do not receive a package this week for Nora. There is one that should arrive there in the next couple of days.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic My stove has finally arrived Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page