Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Eat safe? Plant a garden? Next Topic  

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  03:43:08 AM  Show Profile
I am so concerned about the safety of the food we eat. I am usually a pretty laid back person but am becoming very worried about what I serve my family to eat!
I am considering putting in a garden but have only ever grown flowers before and do not want to start something that I cannot finish.
I have plenty of space but not sure when to begin a garden (for next year?) What can I do this year? Am I too late to plant anything? We have lots of wildlife and as much as I enjoy watching them, I don't feel like feeding them !
Anyway, I would appreciate a few tips and pointers in the right direction! (Last year I tried Tomatoes in pots...got one (yes one) tomato!
Thanks in advance!!
Angie

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  05:18:13 AM  Show Profile
Angie, the first thing you have to do is either till up the ground and add compost or manure or build raised beds. If you can get that part done before mid August you would be able to plant lettuce, peas, spinach, broccoli and any other cool-weather veggies I didn't mention. All of these can tolerate frost and prefer cooler weather, so you could be picking stuff in late September through October.

Veggies aren't much different than flowers. Veggies flower, too. They just happen to produce a seed head or pod that's edible! With all the experts on here, you'll get lots of tips and you'll do just fine. It has become imperative for us to take control over our food and grow it ourselves. It is getting scary to buy from the store anymore.

As far as the wild life. I have successfully kept deer, birds and turkeys at bay by surrounding my garden with that cheap black plastic netting. The deer don't like the feel of it on their noses and the turkeys and birds just can't get past it.

Well, gotta get to work, now. I've just spent my entire readiness time on here and have to hurry!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  06:48:53 AM  Show Profile
Angie, just like Lisa said go ahead and get that ground tilled and start feeding it. If you feel that you need to study a little more before diving in there are some great books out there but by all means keep prepping that soil for the next year. Another thing to add to the list is radishes they pretty much grow anywhere, anytime. Also you can plant some garlic in the fall and it will be ready for you next summer. Do be warned gardening can be addictive :) I stopped and counted the other day and realized that I have over 70 varieties of edibles in my garden and I just ordered more seeds!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  07:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Wow Angie... Lillian and Lisa gave great advice....happy gradening..

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  07:30:09 AM  Show Profile
Lillian is right, it is addictive. I started with just pots, then to a few raised beds and now I have 11 raised beds and I want to get more in for next year. It's just so rewarding! I won't have to order veggie seeds anymore. I'm growing all heirloom this year and so I'll be learning to havest seeds for next year!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  08:18:12 AM  Show Profile
Lisa do be careful some veggies cross-polinate easily- like squash. If you save those seeds you will have some crazy squashes next year.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  09:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would suggest contacting your local Extension Office. They will be able to tell you what you can plant now to get a fall crop and what you can plant in the fall for an early spring crop. I also highly recommend building the green house that I hear the latest MJF magazine has plans to. A green house can extend your growing season by several months on either side of winter which can be really beneficial to having good things to eat sooner!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  4:57:50 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, thanks for so much great advice everyone! I'm taking notes!

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  07:31:03 AM  Show Profile
OOH! I second having a greenhouse if you can. I was fortunate that 1 came with the property and I will never be without a greenhouse again. I start all of my veggies in there and I have a bed in there that I grow lettuce and greens in the winter.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  1:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
You're right! I wrote this in another post somewhere but I can't take it anymore!!!! I have a few things in pots (what I can do) but I am going to get some fruits and veggies from an organic co-op til I can have my garden. It's just too crazy.

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Eat safe? Plant a garden? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page