Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What if Walmart is your only choice??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What if Walmart is your only choice?? Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  10:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I live in a pretty decent size town and I must admit, Walmart is holding down the best prices right now. Target, the local grocery stores, etc are all running about 20-25% higher than Walmart. I am in survival mode right now, buying just what we need, so what's a farmgirl to do? We don't have many Mom and Pop stores and the one's here are Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy overpriced due to it being the height of tourist season around here. I admit I have to go to Walmart, no choice. At least I can shop early before the crowds and use the self checkout.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  10:27:39 AM  Show Profile
Heather, all of the free produce we have been getting has been from a walmart distribution center- I admit that this isn't the norm for all distribution centers to give the food that has reached expiration to give it to the local pig farmers- we are lucky that a few of the men who work there are a part of the mormon church here- and our local pig farmer is mormon also- so that is our in.. back to Walmart produce- before this started I wouldn't buy any produce from walmart- I hated their produce. but free is better than any other price I know :-) So I have been making do and doing well at it. So if walmart is all you got be thankful you have just that :-)

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  10:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Sometimes wal-mart IS the only choice for me. We don't have alot of money and they do give the best deals. I am trying to get more self-sufficient as time goes, and plan on having a garden, but sometimes that's just what we must do, and I totally understand!

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  10:57:31 AM  Show Profile
there is a website that you can order bulk foods from and if you order more than $75 worth shipping is free. perfect for those who don't live near any place that you can get these things for cheap-
http://bulkfoods.com

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  11:17:05 AM  Show Profile
I shop at Walmart as a means of survival, too Heather...know what ya mean. Their prices really can't be beat with most things (although when I do find something cheaper elsewhere, I never buy it at Walmart again, lol). I don't know, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! Maybe we should start our own stores and kick Walmart's behindy!!! LOL

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  11:26:57 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes you just have too. that is for sure. but when we move we will be the same distant to Carson as we will be to Fernley. If I got to fernley- pretty much my only choice is Walmart. When I go to Carson I can hit the grocery outlet, the bread store, trader joes, raleys, safeway, all close to Walmart. If I go a bit further into Reno I can visit Sam's club, the grocery outlet, trader joes, Smart and Final, and Wholefoods. Sometimes it is worth it to make a trip to a town a little bit further away if you will save more money. For instance- if I got to Reno (50 minutes from here) I can go to Smart and Final where I can get #10 cans of everything and huge bags of pasta and spices galore. I can also hit Sam's club for meat, dairy, and other dry goods. I make a day of it and thankfully everything is close by eachother- and there are several great thrift stores nearby too.
I usually do this once every few months.

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:08:15 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean. We just got a Walmart in town and from my house it' only about 12 miles! I still don't like to get my veggies or meat from there but will in a pinch. (We have a local butcher.) I do go to the farmer's market every Sunday in the neighboring town and we have our own every Wed. but here in MI...not much in the way of "produce" right now. Although there was a gal selling some lovely lettuce greens.... Anyway...the prices at my "usual" grocery store are much higher than Wally World but I still shop there. I will also shop at a Kroger near here if I'm on that side of town. Target is about 30 miles away...so it's only good for when I'm there already. Because I work just in the winter months, going into town is something I don't do every day in the summer. I thought having a Walmart would be soooooo much more convenient but now I think it's TOO convenient. I'm not planning ahead as much as I should be and I think it's costing more. -- I used to shop with friends from a bulk natural foods store and we would get together 3-4 times a year and order cases of some good organic food stuffs but fell out of that practice...now I'm rethinking that strategy. I also think we are going to invest in purchasing a 1/4 beef from a neighbor who is raising them naturally.

--I am grateful. I have enough.--
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:23:28 PM  Show Profile
after we get moved we will be looking for a 1/2 beef or a full, some pork too. Through the mormon church (we are not mormon but the owners of the house we are renting is) I can get my grains, breakfast oats, beans, pasta etc... in bulk for cheap- so will do that. It is nice to not have to go shopping so much.

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  2:20:43 PM  Show Profile
Walmart is the only place to shop for good value.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  2:22:03 PM  Show Profile
I rarely shop at Walmart. I try to find other options. BUT then again, there are a few things I do pick up there I have never found anywhere else.

Don't feel bad. In this economy, we all have to save where we can.
If anyone gives you a hard time, tell them to go fly a kite.

I do have one question, I remember reading on how they were going Organic with their produce. I have yet to see any in either Walmart I go to.
Perhaps it is a regional thing?

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  3:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If you don't have an option- you do what you have to do to make it so you and your family survives. We like to shop in bulk at Costco, but now that Costco is in the same town we will probably do regular shopping there as well!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  3:54:04 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes I don't have any choice but Walmart for some things..our nearby (7 miles) one does have organics...but we do raise what we can, buy our meat locally (1/2 beef at a time) and only buy what we have to buy there. I sure understand that there isn't much choice. If I want sewing thread I can buy it at walmart or wait until I go an hour north at least and honestly..I am not that patient!! So...we all do what we can.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  4:00:05 PM  Show Profile
the organics at our walmart are sooooo expensive. 2 cucumbers for almost $5!!! Just can't do that. I am thankful everytime we get organic in our free produce. One week it was the organic cucumbers and I got 4 cases! I made refridgerator pickles. I think that week was also organic blueberries- we got 8 gallon bags worth. all in the freezer.
Organic is best but unless you grow your own, have a local farmers market, or can barter with someone for their homegrown it just isn't economically feesable. I wish it was, I just pray over it all..

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  9:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Just remember, that even though they are Satan's corporation, when you do have to visit, your money is going toward someone's paycheck! That's the way I look at it! Everyone that works there are local people, my friends and family, and they benefit from my "shopping experience"--they know I firmly DISLIKE the store, but like many, it is my only choice. So, I just look for that silver lining...but if all my friends and family quit then it might be another story....

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  10:24:30 PM  Show Profile
samantha .. that is my thought too .. don't know about the SATAN thingie .. but in the little town next to us .. WALLY-
WORLD sure puts a paycheck and thus food on the table for a lot of local residents who would otherwise not have ANY job.

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  10:36:14 PM  Show Profile
That was the first job out of college was working for them. Now our little town doesn't have a Walmart, we just have a Kmart & Krogers....so sad to say this but it is honestly cheaper to run to one of the other towns while on errands and go to Walmart to do shopping. I did a cost comparison via the price of gas and how many miles, etc...it was still costing us less to run to Walmart the next town over, a good 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic...there are 4 within 30 minutes of us.

However, I do realize that we buy less and less. I've always been a bargain hunter and never pay full price for something. But in these days and times, I have come to realize that we waste a lot of money on stuff that we'll rarely use or will eventually go into a yard sale one day. I'm a lot more conscious of what we buy and how we spend our money.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  07:04:26 AM  Show Profile
At one time, I worked for Wal-Mart, my mother retired from Wal-Mart and DS#1 worked at a d.c. while in college and then moved to Bentonville to work at the corporate level for a couple of years. Wal-Mart has good and bad policies and is a much different company than it was when Mr. Walton was living. Remember the "Buy American" slogan? I think they could now change it to "buy China made."

They use some heavy handed practices with the companies they buy from, because they are large enough, they can. One would be, requiring their suppliers to have a representive living in the Bentonville area (can you imagine what that has done to the price of real estate in northwest Arkansas? ~ think L.A.). Another is telling the supplier the size of the product and what they will pay for it; so instead of the supplier setting the price, Wal-Mart does. Which is hardly fair, but if you want the largest retailer handling your product, you have to play ball by their rules.

Another point, "organic" in Wal-Mart terms may not be exactly the same as organic in your terms. They tend to "stretch" the meaning of the word to be more inclusive.

Wal-Mart does provide jobs for a lot of people, however if Wal-Mart had not used heavy handed tactics in order to put other business out, chances are those same people would be working at locally owned establishments. Thus more of your money would stay within your community.

I try to keep my trips to Wal-Mart down to one a month. Like Aunt Jenny said about the thread, there is no where else to buy some such items as thread, unless I am willing to drive around 45 miles, one way. I make a list of items we need from there and try to stick to my list. If the kids or grandkids need something, I try not to buy it until it is on sale. When they mark boys' shirts down to $3. each, I stock up then, if I'm there - I don't make a special trip.

I keep my food purchases from Wal-Mart down to just a few items. One, I don't like the quality and two - often the items have been radiated (to keep potatoes from sprouting, etc.) and this process produces chemical changes. It would be like overmicrowaving all you food and this isn't good for you.

We grow our own, buy from the farmers market, buy through the state farmers co-op and buy at locally owned stores as much as possible when it concerns our food, along with ordering from places like MJ. Yes, it is a little more costly, but we haven't had a medical bill in years (and I definitely believe there is a connection). Out of four boys living in our home, two of them have never been to a doctor (4 & 11) and the other two haven't since they were toddlers (9 & 12).

Still, you have to make you own decision of how much you are willing to bend (in either direction) and hopefully be in agreement with your other half. As for my dh, he wouldn't care if I never went back to Wal-Mart. And I am not putting anyone down who shops at Wal-Mart, only sharing here because what looks like a good deal, isn't always. And in the grand scheme of things, if more people were aware of the different issues, our communities and our families would be stronger.

*Sorry* ~ Cheryl is now stepping down off her soapbox.

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!

Edited by - Shi-anne on Jul 08 2008 07:11:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  07:25:02 AM  Show Profile
Is Walmart the only culprit? The only big box store we have in town is a Walmart. Just the other day a HUGE ranch store opened a store. My first thought after I visited it was gosh this is really going to hurt the two hardware stores in town. We try to use the smaller stores most of the time. If there's a huge price difference maybe the big store. You can't beat the customer service at the smaller stores. I have talked to employees at our Walmart (which seems to be better run and have more heart than others) and they said they can't get as high of hourly range or benefits in the small mom and pop stores. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  08:06:23 AM  Show Profile
JoAnn, you are probably right. It is all a combination of things. I'm sure the Mom & Pop stores can't pay the wages Walmart and the other big box stores do (we also have a home depot). Government requirements on insurance, unemployment tax, etc. have put a burden on some of the small stores that keep them from breaking even in many cases.

My parents owned the local taxi company(s) for years. Just before they went out, a state law was passed requiring them to carry over a millon dollars in insurance. They had and outstanding driving record, with no one injured and taxi fare across town was only 35 cents. So it was impossible to carry that kind of insurance.

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  09:04:11 AM  Show Profile
Everyone I hear speak about Wal-Mart dislikes them in principle but shops there in practice. It's unfortunate that our pocketbooks can't always match our principles. I avoided shopping there for ages but finally my budget has forced me to go there. I still think they are a sub-par corporation, but the reality is that a lot of people have to shop there, like it or not.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
http://nostalgichomemaking.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  09:31:05 AM  Show Profile
I honestly don't, or won't is more like it (in fact, I haven't been in a Mall-Wart in about 8 years). I have no problem with anyone who does, because you've got to do what you've got to do, but then, I've got my local farmer's market, and a few locally-owned hardware, auto-shop, housewares, etc. shops nearby.

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  09:33:52 AM  Show Profile
I shop at Walmart. Our local grocery has been price gouging us for years. I go there as often as possible for bulk and staples. I get cereal and other kid items for the daycare. With coupons I can easily save over $100 in a big trip. I get milk, bread and some produce at the local grocery. I only buy what is on sale. I don't mind shopping at walmart. I just pick and choose what I buy.

I don't think they are "satan" for their business practices. I am not going to defend them either. I know every big box store does the same thing. I continue to shop at them. I stay local as much as possible. I grow as much as possible. I alway try to stay as simple as possible.

I won't feel bad about shopping there. I would rather put that energy to better use weeding the garden. We just got back from camping and I could use the help, anyone else?

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/ Motto To Live By
"Life should NOT be a jouney to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  09:46:20 AM  Show Profile
I live in small town (3,000) and Walmart just built a superwalmart here. There is a small grocery in town too. But we used to have two groceries (way before Walmart) and one of the groceries went out of business and the other one raised ALL of their prices over 30% the next day. They would advertise things only to be out of them on the first day or they never came in supposedly. It left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

So when Walmart built the new store I started shopping there. If the other grocery had treated me and everyone else like they should have, I would shop there. So there are two sides to the story of why some shop at Walmart. Not just the prices, but we do get excellent customer service at ours.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  09:59:27 AM  Show Profile
I don't shop at Walmart, but then, there are about a gazillion of places TO shop in my town--I DO have choices--too many. I typically shop Target for most everything, including cereals and lunch items because, while they may not be as cheap as Walmart, they're cheaper than Kroger or K-Mart. Lately I've been shopping Aldi--pretty good deals there, lemme tell you. I am conscious of brands that I don't exactly know, but on the whole, items that I've taken a chance on have surprised me (pleasantly). It's within walking distance of my home, and I like how small it is :)...

Having said that, I don't shop Walmart (or Meijer or Biggs) for a number of reasons...one, I don't like to have everything in one spot--the cost is spread out that way, you know. But,most importantly, I usually end up MORE stressed out when I've gone there from screaming children (and screaming parents--"I'M GOING TO SPANK YOU IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP!!!" and husbands and wives bantering and swearing at one another, or just plain idiocy. The customer base sucks at our local Walmart. I'd been going every week or so about 8 years ago, and I'd leave in a terrible mood, or Jus would have to hold me back from saying something to a negligent mother or whatever...So, I just stopped going.

I've also worked for counsel who has sued the Walmart corporation (post Sam Walton) many times for the way they treat their employees and that's another reason...I know it's a paycheck for some of these folks in small towns, but at what cost? For me it IS a principle, one that I do abide by. I think initially, they were good for small towns, but after Mr. Walton died, the focus changed considerably to be highly competitive with other "all in one" stores.

Target is just fine for me for the cleaning stuff I don't make myself, and simple every day food items, and I'm really digging our Aldi store. Other than that, a monthly trip to the grocery and I'm good. We do all our hardware shopping at Florence Hardware, a local mom and pop. I'm not much into snacks or anything that really costs at the regular store, so I don't exactly have to tailor our shopping for that. Our meat comes from local farms, also, so that's one less thing to buy from a big box store.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What if Walmart is your only choice?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page