grammagoose
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

sandy
exeter rhode island
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  07:09:15 AM  Show Profile
I probably missed this chat, but what do "farmgirls" do for nontoxic shower curtains? also what will take mildew out of cotton?
Thanks,
grammagoose

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  07:25:29 AM  Show Profile
Good questions - been reading about the vinyl. We have gone shopping twice for new shower curtains and come home empty handed. Anyone solve this?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  11:46:09 AM  Show Profile
I just bought a new vinyl shower curtain... Evidently I have been missing info on vinyl... What is there to use besides that, though??

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  2:23:01 PM  Show Profile
The articles I read said to use polyester liners isntead of vinyl. They said they are available at Target.

Farmgirl Sister #98
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  3:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We just use fabric shower curtains. Yes they get wet but the finely woven fabric keeps the water on the inside and they dry through the day just fine. I ordered my "micro suede" shower curtain through www.overstock.com and we have been pleased. No Plastic! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LindaMAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  4:28:05 PM  Show Profile
I sewed my shower curtain out of heavy duck, purchased from local fabric store and took it to a cobbler to install 12 heavy duty grommets. Very cheap. The trick to avoiding mildew is to spray the curtain daily with a vinegar solution mixed with essential of grapefruit or lemon and to spread the curtain open during the day to dry. White vinegar mixed with the hottest water setting in your washer and hung to dry in direct sunlight should take care of any existing mildew.

Linda

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog.
~Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  4:29:10 PM  Show Profile
I also use a cotton shower curtain. The fabric "wicks" the water down into the bottom of the shower-no leaks at all. I got it about a year ago-when it gets grungy I just throw it in the wash and hang it on the line.
I can't remember where I got it-somewhere on line, though. I think I just did a search for cotton shower curtains and checked out some different sites.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  12:19:53 PM  Show Profile
I use fabric, check them out at Vermont Country Store. I was buying new vinyl ones constantly because of ripping at holes, since I got a fabric one at VCS I haven't had to replace it, just wash now and then. It's great!
Go to Top of Page

vintagetag
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Linda
Cheyenne WY
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  6:15:16 PM  Show Profile
Here's another idea for you -

Canvas painters drop cloths - cut to size if needed and put grommets in the top. We have a "over-stock" store here in town and you can find the drop cloths for under $5.

Linda
Cheyenne, WY
USA
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  10:24:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mikesgirl

The articles I read said to use polyester liners isntead of vinyl. They said they are available at Target.

Farmgirl Sister #98

I got mine at Target too.

I just wash it in the hottest water I can and let it soak for a while.
I have very hard water, so it stil has some stains, but it is on the inside of the shower, so no one sees it anyways.
The vinyl lets off a stinky vapor, so that is why I switched.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  09:30:58 AM  Show Profile
I am lost. Whats wrong with Vinyl shower curtains?

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  10:01:25 AM  Show Profile
Kim, I was constantly replacing them, whether I bought the regular or heavy duty vinyl...
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  10:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Girls, correct me if I'm wrong because I'm doing this from memory.....

Vinyl shower curtains are made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and gives off toxic fumes. The smell when you open the package - that's the PVC. And because it's flexible every time it moves it gives off more fumes until it has outgassed (no longer smells - at all). Breathing in the fumes makes some people sick and the toxins build up in your body over time. This is especially critical if you have young children because their bodies are smaller and more susceptible. You can google "plastic shower curtains fumes" for more info.

If you already have purchased a vinyl shower curtain you can lay it in the sun and turn it every hour or two. You may need to do this for a couple of days. Then you can use it in your bathroom if you want. Or I'm doing this to the few that I have left from my uninformed days and then using them for dropcloths, tarps, etc. I still have my old old old plastic one up until I get my fabric curtain made. Hopefully that will be this week because I found fabric AND grommets when exploring in my basement.

God bless -
Karen

Farmgirl Sister #??? (to be filled in after I get my badge)
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  11:07:35 AM  Show Profile
I have a hemp one....can't remember where I got it..maybe Amazon... but its awesome..no liner needed and it feels like it will last 4 ever and it washes well!! good luck!

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  2:05:10 PM  Show Profile
Hemp! wow, good for you. That is a crop that we sorely underuse. Most folks don't realize there are different varieties and the one used for paper cloth, etc, isn't the smoking kind. Guess it's too hard to regulate the safe from the not safe one.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  6:52:40 PM  Show Profile
In the August issue of Coastal Living, there is an article on a woman that sews shower curtains (and other things) out of recycled SAILS. They are awesome! Non-toxic...Egyptian cotton and dacron..
waterproof and absolutely beautiful! Her website for further info is listed in the article.
I would love a TRENCH COAT made of one...

Edited by - misstilliewillie on Sep 02 2008 8:50:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  04:23:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the info. I had not heard about the vinyl either but it's plastic so makes sense.
Thanks for the website too! That is always helpful to know where to get one.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  05:05:09 AM  Show Profile
has anyone used the nylon shower curtains? I went to the vermont country store website and I noticed they have nylon ones too.
thanks,

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 30 2008 05:05:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  05:39:25 AM  Show Profile
Denise, That's what I use, got it at Vermont country Store. I love it. I can't tell you how long I've had it...It is so easy to throw in the washer occasionally and put it back up.
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic non toxic shower curtains Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page