junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  1:53:43 PM  Show Profile
Wish I was closer to take that course, how neat! Great website too!

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  4:15:54 PM  Show Profile
Sisters, I recieved my stained, battered, much loved copy of This Way of Life today! All I can say girls, is it is grand...very grand. I opened my copy and on the inside cover there were these words written by 2 women ( farmgirls for sure) that I want to share with you now...

September 30th 1972

Happy Birthday Edna!
Because we both love and appreciate so many of the same things; I'm sure you will enjoy this book.
Much love,
Lucille

and in very shakey red ink written by a very old woman 20 years later....

Thanks Lucille!
You are one of the best friends I've ever had! And you still are Lucille. (I'm writting this on Nov. 22, 1992.

Kinda gets ya doesn't it girls???? The power of friendship between women...soooo I am updating this book of mine to read...
Oct.17th 2005 This book was suggested by BlueEggBabe Sue on the MJF farmgirl connection, and approved by it's farmgirl sisters with love!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  4:43:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh Meadowlark, that is SO cool! And fast delivery too! What a treasure, thanks for sharing and I'm heading to ebay to see if there is anymore left? lol

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  5:21:39 PM  Show Profile
Mine arrived today too!! sans the inscriptions and with a musty-smokey smell, so it's outside right now, hopefully having a cleansing. It does look like it's FULL of wonderful writings! Can't wait! Might have to get a clothespin out for my nose, and get to readin'! If it doesn't clear up, I may just offer it up to any of you members that are smokers who it wouldn't bother. I'll keep ya posted.

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing

Edited by - Clare on Oct 17 2005 5:42:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  6:43:17 PM  Show Profile
Clare- tie some baking soda in a circle of muslin and seal it up with your book in a ziploc bag, you may have to repeat a few times. The other alternative is to open a bar of Irish Spring soap and seal it up in a ziploc bag. It worked with a smoke laden piano, it should work with your book!

Blue Egg - Loved your poem, I could just picture it! My cousin had a farmhouse for a while near Gilbertsville that had the double kitchen and we all loved it for family parties! Sounds like you and the "girls" put the second one to good use every month.

Meadowlark- I think Flower and Garden stopped publishing in the 70's sometime and I wish I HAD kept all those copies! If we knew then what we know now! I still have (somewhere) some of the articles I saved from them, think I'll dig them out and see if any are "share worthy"!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  11:26:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh Clare, that's such a shame! Kitty litter works the same way too. Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  11:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
When we were stationed in Germany, I had the opportunity to see how the German farm women live...they are ALL farm women there unless they live in a big city...most have 2 kitchens! They have what they call their "work" kitchen in the basement, they do all their cooking, canning and laundry down there - making the entire days meals & kitchen work for the whole day-in the early morning. Then they clean up and send the food upstairs where the refridgerate it until dinner time, where they warm it and serve it in the "formal kitchen". Our landlord even had a dumbwaiter to send the dirty dishes back down to the work kitchen after the meal.
Personally i think this is a great idea, all the cooking done and cleaned up in the early morning !!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  6:12:21 PM  Show Profile
The baking soda thing didn't work.. it was just too strong...but 3 fabric softener sheets in a bag with the book did the trick! Aaahhhh, now I can read through it tonight! Can't wait!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  6:48:12 PM  Show Profile
I love it too. I wanna be there!

By the way, ladies, for inexpensive books, no place beats Half.com (an Ebay company). I buy tons of stuff there. CDs too.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Farm Kitchen Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page