Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  10:15:34 AM  Show Profile
Nathan, my oldest, was sworn in yesterday and leaves for basic training in Missouri in August! (He made some changes and pushed it back a bit from July 11!) He will be in for 6 years. I know that this is probably not the best time for him to enlist, but after much prayer and thought, we know that this is exactly what he should be doing.
His MOS will be linguistics, so he gets to spend a year in the beautiful city of Monterey, CA at the Defense language Institute! He is already fluent in Spanish, from having lived in Mexico for two years while on his mission, so language is a strength for him.
We are very proud of him for taking such a brave step towards his future.
I cannot help it, I'm very excited for him. But still, if you don't mind, keep him in your prayers please.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  10:19:33 AM  Show Profile
Will definatly keep him in prayers, Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  11:37:24 AM  Show Profile
Karin,
Will keep Nathan in prayer and you and your family as you await his return. God is good and will be faithful to watch over him.
hugs
Jessie

Farmgirl Sister #235

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  11:50:59 AM  Show Profile
Karin,

Our thanks go out to your son, Nathan, for his service to our country. We will be praying for his health and well-being. Our oldest grandson just graduated from Marine Corp Boot Camp last month and is curently in Artillery Training, to be followed by MOS in computers. I hope it won't be as hot for him in Missouri as it was in Parris Island for our grandson, and for us at Graduation...we were not about to miss that for the world, and it exceeded our expectations immensely, but was it ever HOT down there! The family that sweats together, you know? Best, best, best wishes to him!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  11:52:19 AM  Show Profile
I will for sure keep Nathan and your family in my prayers. Cool that he will be in Monterey for a year! I have in laws who live there and have visited there a few times. I loved it. And Linguistics..that is cool too. I have a grown nephew in the Navy reserves with that specialty. He served his mission in the Phillipines and speaks two of their dialects. Handy to get that experience for sure!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  12:03:34 PM  Show Profile
Karin, I am thinking wonderful thoughts for Nathan, and hoping this is where he "needs" to be...my cousin joined 6 months ago, and though we were all very worried, he's never been happier. Monterey is a lovely place, and his chosen occupation while in service is a cool one!! Something he can DEFINITELY get a job in the private sector or a nice government posting later on!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  1:29:11 PM  Show Profile
My prayers will be with Nathan and also with you.

I'm assuming that since his basic training is in Missouri he'll be at Ft. Leonardwood...affectionately known as Ft. Lost In The Woods...LOL! That's where my twin brother did his basic training many years ago when he enlisted.

Diana
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  1:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Karin, from a family of soldiers, we do appreciate his service and thank him and you for deciding to do something that is very special and appreciated. I hope he finds excitement and all his dreams come true. I wish him and you all the best and boy, Monterey is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the buildings on at that base. He will be kept in a special place in my prayers.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  1:34:08 PM  Show Profile
Diana- That is exactly where he will be! I will tell him about it being Ft. Lost in the Woods.
Thank you, girls, for your encouraging words. I'll print all of your well-wishes and put them in a book for when Nate needs a bit of a cheer-up. (And I am sure he will!)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  2:37:33 PM  Show Profile
My oldest son did his training there about 7 years back too!!..that is exactly what he called it.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  2:58:20 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I know how you might be feeling - that mixture of pride and OMG! My oldest is in the Marine Corp and my second in the coast Guard....I dont know who boot camp was harder on.. me or them :)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  7:24:42 PM  Show Profile
Karin - will be praying for Nathan, but feel all good vibes from what you have posted. This will probably be the experience that sets a strong direction for his entire life. What was his mission there before? With the church? Mormon? Anyway, he sounds like a wonderful young man.

Oh, and I love Monterey! If you can, visit him there. It is beautiful and Carmel is nearby, and the scenery is gorgeous.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 02 2008 7:25:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  9:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations to Nathan! Let's hope all the fires are out when it's time for him to go to Monterey. So much of Northern Calif has been burning, it's scary to even think about. Lot of the smoke blows over into Nevada and our air quality is the worst ever.
Many sons/daughters/husbands etc from MJF families are serving our country-proud of each and very one!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  01:54:04 AM  Show Profile
Karin,
I am so glad for you and for him, yes, certainly will be in my prayers and the others who serve us when they serve our country. How appreciative I am for each of them.
Thank you.
Carol Sue

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Pavla
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Pavla
Grandville MI
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  05:34:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi!
Just wanted to say congrats to your son, who has certainly made a very honorable decision. I was spurred to speak out because I was stationed at DLS in monterey back in 2001. I was in the Marines though, and was supposed to be a Russian linguist as I was born in the Czech Republic and am very fluent, and being it is another slavic language that is what they were making me stick with! I injured my back though and was set to be discharged not too long after getting to DLI. While my discharge was being processed, I worked for the Gunnery Sergeant that administered the test that determined what language a person should be placed into. Monterey is beautiful!! If you have the opportunity visit your son, you will not regret it! Driving along the coast is gorgeous, as is hiking in Big Sur. And I loved, loved spending the day on the piers nosing around and eating fresh clam chowder in sourdough bowls. It really is just an amazing place. But being in the military is certainly a challenge, and being at DLI more so. Anyway, sorry for rambling, the memories that just came back!! I wish your son all the luck and may his journey be as bump free as possible.

Edited by - Pavla on Jul 03 2008 05:39:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  08:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
oh karin, please thank your son for us here at the farm in texas for his decision to serve out country.
we just welcomed our son in law and daughter back home after his discharge from the army and service in afghanistan. as a mom, i know how hard the feelings can be when our grown children make brave decisions that make us feel both proud and at least concerned at the same time.
i will be keepin you and your son in our thoughts and prayers here hugs to you mom for this time that can just be full of so many different feelings.

love
frannie in texas

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
(http://abunnystale.blogspot.com/)
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  10:08:32 AM  Show Profile
Karin, I know you must be very proud of him, please thank him for his service from us. It sounds like he made a well thought out decision and I wish him the very best. You all will be in my prayers.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  07:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Karin, Thank You for supporting your son in his decision to join the Army. There are many of us Military moms, wives, and family members on this forum. My three boys are Army with one son in Iraq for his second tour, One in Korea and my baby shipping out in January for who knows where. It is never a good time to enlist as we are always helping one country or another and never really at world peace. I was scared when each of mine enlisted. But after soul searching, statistics searching, I put my mind at ease and have enjoyed watching my boys become men. A few hints; Get yourself an instant message program, Web cam, don't take what the news reports to heart (they usually make it worse then it is), the Army can and will take charge of your son's life and will make changes at the very last moment, will not give you the info you want until the very last minute and then it still can change. Week 5-6 of boot camp, the letters coming home will be heart wrenching, cry to yourself but never on the phone when they call for that brief 3 minute call they get to make. Send letters as often as you can they love to get a piece of home. Last but not least get yourself a Blue Star Flag and display it proudly for ALL the world to see. I have one in my window,one on my car and a pin I wear everyday! We here on the forum will add Nathan to our pray list and pray for him and all military personal who ensure our freedom everyday.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic My Son Has Joined the Army Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page