brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  2:58:09 PM  Show Profile
I know they eat a lot of mosquitos, and that is a really good thing up here in the summertime, but they've roosted in our century-old barn - luckily we don't have any livestock, just DH's old cars. He keeps tarps over the cars, but I worry about histoplasmosis when he takes the cars out and has to scrape off a layer of bat guano. I know the guano makes good fertilizer but that's not worth much if you can't breathe!

So, does anyone have any experience with relocating bats? The barn probably has a hundred little cracks around the doors, we sealed the windows and eaves with expanding foam insulation as best we could when we re-sided the barn, but it didn't seem to deter the bats from coming in.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  3:27:13 PM  Show Profile
Hmm, I'd check with animal control, first. Sometimes they don't like people relocating wild animals unless they give them a head's up first... good luck!!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  3:43:28 PM  Show Profile
You need to check with the animal control because they are actually protected in many areas. My mom worked someplace that had a bat problem and it was a big project to get them removed because the species was one that was protected!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  4:45:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brenda, it was a big deal for us as they were really bad at our house. They were getting in the eaves of our log home. The smell was getting awful! Then we heard that it could cause lung problems. At that time my grandson was a premie and it scared us to death. Then the droppings started coming in some small cracks and that was it!!! We had tried putting small screen wire over the openings and everything and then they would find another small hole. After all else fell, we called a professional in and had to hire them. It took them coming back out 4 more times to finally get every little spot done. They had to take part of our tin roof off and vaccum up there. (fingers crossed)....we have none at this time. Been "bat free" for about 4 months.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  07:26:55 AM  Show Profile
Not to make light of your dilemma, but when I saw this post title I giggled because it reminds me of "how to herd chickens" or something close to impossible like that. Hope you get the situation fixed. I have no advice but am really anxious to see how this progresses. Good luck.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How to relocate bats? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page